Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

The growth of the Smartphone

General Chit-Chat.
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

The growth of the Smartphone

Post by cooley1103 »

I just read an article that talks about the endangered tech list. These are all products/devices that the smart phone will soon replace.

THE TOP 10 ENDANGERED TECHNOLOGIES

1. Alarm clocks
2. Stand-alone sat navs
3. iPod docks
4. Flip cameras
5. Blu-Ray players
6. DVD players
7. Watches
8. Blackberry
9. TV remote control
10. Small portable TVs

Apparently, the writer has never used a smartphone to find a cache in the woods. :D
OhMelli
MGS Member

Re: The growth of the Smartphone

Post by OhMelli »

I can already safely say that mine HAS replaced allllllllllllllllll of those things! (well... I don't USE any of the ones associated with television/movie viewing... and I actually have "plans" to GET a Nuvi... so maybe not all... but DAMMIT the only time I need that Nuvi is in Western MD or WEST Virginia!) :lol:
zekester
MGS Member

Re: The growth of the Smartphone

Post by zekester »

1. Alarm clocks
My smartphone has replaced this for travel, but will not at home. Too much of a pain to remember to turn other audible notifications on and off.

2. Stand-alone sat navs
Rarely use the smartphone for this purpose, at least for geocaching. It is too in accurate, and the battery life is too short. The same would be true for any other use I can think of for a portable sat nav receiver, perhaps with the exception of automobile navigation. For that it is too small for me to provide any useful situational awareness.

3. iPod docks
Never used one of these.

4. Flip cameras
Don't know what this is. I like having a separate camera.

5. Blu-Ray players
Not as long as I have the discs.

6. DVD players
Not as long as I have the discs.

7. Watches
Not as long as I have wrists. The smart phone is not wearable enough to replace this as far as I am concerned.

8. Blackberry
I have had one of these forced upon me by my employer, and have only found it useful for email and phone service. That being said, it's inclusion here is oxymoronic, it is a smart phone.

9. TV remote control
Never tried a smartphone for this purpose. Not sure why I would.

10. Small portable TVs
Huh? Guess I gave not seen what is referred to here. The last time I knew of a portable tv, it was the size of a small microwave oven, and we took it to school to watch the Apollo rocket launches on.

With regard to geocaching, I much prefer a stand alone GPSr, which is IPX7 rated (generally weatherproof), costs less than the smartphone if you screw it up or lose it, and gas a significantly greater battery life. My experience thus far is also that it is significantly more accurate than a smartphone, particularly in challenging conditions, where reception can be compromised, such as heavy foliage, large ironwork structures or power lines nearby.

It would be useful to all if everyone would make mention of what device they used to hide a cache in their cache descriptions, and how accurate they believed their device was when they established the coordinates. I know I am dreaming....