Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

New Year, New Goals

General Chit-Chat.
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

New Year, New Goals

Post by ksullivan »

Happy New Year, everyone!
As the new year begins, many people set goals or make resolutions. What are your geocaching related goals for 2014? I know I've seen posts like this in the past, but let's start a fresh one for 2014. I'm curious and I know I'm not the only one who has some geo-goals.

So far, mine are:
1. Hike more!
2. Attend GeoWoodstock
3. Fill in my calendar grid
4. Make more geo-friends
5. Finish the SSB trail
6. Get the last grid for Maryland's DeLorme challenge
OhMelli
MGS Member

Re: New Year, New Goals

Post by OhMelli »

I hope to:

Add 6 more states to my map
Plant 12 new caches
LOSE WEIGHT (yes... that is caching related!)
Hike more!
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Our Caching Goals

1) Attend Geowoodstock
2) Attend Midweast Geobash for the Third Year
3) Find at least 1000 caches in 2014
4) Finish the Traveler's Challenge
5) Find and Log Montgomery ADC, Frederick ADC, All Counties, 366 Day Challenge, 100 Day Streak, Season Caching and Fizzy Challenges, We qualify for all just have to go get them.
6) Complete CAM 2014
7) Get our First EarthCache and Letterbox Published
8) Hide more Dedication caches
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
glens911
MGS Member

Post by glens911 »

Mine for 2014 are:
1. Reach 100 caches
2. Complete CAM
3. Enjoy the outdoors
4. Not caching related but marry Sherri. :smt007
5. Enjoy LIFE!!!!!
In the night there's wonder
Always there for you to see
In the light of morning
Visions fade
And dreams can flee

Savatage - Miles Away
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

I've met most of my previous goals, so I'm keeping it simple this year:

1) Get get an EarthCache and a Letterbox-Hybrid published. (I waited too long to finish up the letterbox I was working on, it wound up getting archived out). Once I do this, I'll have at least one of each cache type.

2) Take a 60 mile detour off my trip to Oswego, NY this summer to remove a DNF at a really cool cache located at my alma mater. (Priorities!!)

3) Find the lowest elevation (on land) geocache. This is contingent on getting good ticket prices, and being able to get away from the in-laws when visiting!!!
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

I like the topic. I usually make a mental note of geocaching goals at the beginning of each year.

1. Complete my calendar grid, only have Jan 22nd left, and I already have a cache reserved in case there is 3 feet of snow.
2. Hopefully publish a "National Treasure" type geocache adventure in the city of Frederick with help from the City itself and a certain puzzle master from the area.
3. Hopefully publish an Earthcache near where we vacation in Michigan.
4. Complete the Montgomery County ADC Challenge - 4 squares left
5. Either complete or get near completion of the Frederick County ADC Challenge - 10-12 squares left.
6. Planning on doing some caching in Erie PA when I attend the ASPGB this year, and someone put out over 50 non-traditional challenge caches in the area ranging from easy to complete to difficult. I am about 75% done in qualifying for the challenges but need to find about 30-40 puzzle, multi, letterbox, virtual, and earthcaches in Maryland to finish qualifying. I hope to grab those this year.
7. Have fun and
8. Continue working on the goal that HoneyBadger34 and I set last year to get in shape to the point of grabbing GC3QGY4 - The Highest in the Haven and GCGB2Q - Top of Thousand Steps(Bear Paw Trail) on the same day sometime in the summer of 2015.
W4OTN
MGS Member

Post by W4OTN »

Man, everyone has such great goals. Here's a list of mine (just off the top of my head):

1) Since I just completed 1500 (on Dec 31st) I'd like to get at least 365 caches this year.
2) Pick up some missing Delorme grids for Maryland (and maybe Deleware).
3) Work on my spy cache series.
4) Find some neat places to put some bigger containers.
5) Significantly reduce the number of days without a find.
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

I'm not big on geocaching goals but here are a few.

1) Attend MOGA for the first time.
2) Complete CAM 2014
3) Host the 3rd annual NITW event
4) Attend GWS
5) Get out west to finally hit some of the big power trails!
6) Hide more caches in my old _JohnnyCache style.
7) Stay single and unmarried for another year :lol:
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

1. Finish the Jasmer challenge (where is the MD cache of that anyway)?
2. Hide some 5/5s. There just aren't enough around.
3. Find some more 5/5s.
4. Finish up I AM GORGEOUS
5. Grab Maryland High Point Cache
6. Find a bunch of kayak caches.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

Excellent thread topic! Here's what we have in store:

1. Complete Maryland Counties Challenge. We've met the requirements, just need to make the find.
2. Complete Delaware Delorme Challenge. If there is a Delaware Counties Challenge, do that too. Same deal as above.
3. Find a cache in either Montana or Alaska. Last two states we need to have cached in all 50.
4. Attend a mega event.
5. Complete the "81" grid.
6. Maintain and advance our Zombie Travel Bug project.
7. Launch ??? more ZTBs.
8. Get a ZTB hit in the southern hemisphere.
9. Get ZTBs into the remaining states (7 left to go).
10. Complete the Star Spangled Banner Geotrail.
11. Complete the Washington County Geotrail.
12. Rescue 5 travelbugs via the travel bug rescue site..
13. Do at least three geocaching weekend trips in areas locally (Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware).
14. Continue to host a monthly meet and greet.
15. Place more truly outstanding hides. We want to give back to our community, and this is the best way we know how! The real list of goals we have lists the cache ideas, but we left that off of here. We have some fun things in store for you, and (insert shameless plug here) one of those goals was met today the publishing our first true puzzle cache: Enigma (http://coord.info/GC4WAQ6). We hope to publish an earth cache as well this year, and have a lot of other fun ideas in the hopper....

If we do half of this it will be amazing!
obxgeek
MGS Member

Post by obxgeek »

My goals for the year are:

1. Find a November 2000 cache to finish off the Jasmer challenge... then start finding those challenge caches.

2. Finish off my calendar. I missed December 19th otherwise I would be on track to be done in March. I have 37 empty days between now and the middle of March.

3. Attend Pirates of the Potomac this year

4. Take part in CAM 2014

5. Organize a group to attend the Going Caching mega event in Rome, Georgia next October.

6. Keep having fun
ImageImageImage
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

Wow! These are some neat goals! I might have to add a few goals to my original list!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I did pretty good on my goals for 2013. Most importantly I had a good time with good friends. Here is 2013 and my progress:

100 caches in a day - Completed on 23 Feb with a great Maryland team in North Carolina
MML 2013 - Completed
CAM 2013 - Completed
Maryland Delorme - Completed
Delaware Delorme - Completed
Jasmer - Completed
New Jersey Delorme - Completed
Fizzy - Just need to find the final
Vermont Delorme - 4 more pages to go but it will probably have to wait until 2015
Place another Christmas series - It just wasn't possible for 2013

Goals for 2014 are:

Finish up I AM GORGEOUS with Dave, Sonya, Brenda and Rich. I hope to make this 2000!
The Maryland All Counties Challenge (just need the coords and the finding)
Well Rounded Maryland Cacher (The Fizzy Challenge) (waiting to do with MD All Counties)
West 76 Degrees Longitude Challenge (just need to make the find)
West 77 Degrees Longitude Challenge (just a matter of logging now)
North 39 Degrees Latitude Challenge (just need to make the find)
Resuscitation Challenge: 400/400 (just need to make the find)
Miscellaneous MD and regional challenge caches like The Ghosts of DelMar (MD/DE Virtual Challenge)
Finish 2/3rds of the Cache Across America - Series Final
Grab every old cache I can find while doing CAA like Mingo
Start a monthly event series in my new old home town.

Overall I think it is going to be a great year.
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

Hey, remember this thread? How well did you do on your 2014 goals? Here's how we did, but there's still a little time left until midnight.....
zekester wrote:Excellent thread topic! Here's what we have in store:

1. Complete Maryland Counties Challenge. We've met the requirements, just need to make the find. NOT YET
2. Complete Delaware Delorme Challenge. If there is a Delaware Counties Challenge, do that too. Same deal as above. NOT YET
3. Find a cache in either Montana or Alaska. Last two states we need to have cached in all 50. WE SNAGGED MONTANA!!!
4. Attend a mega event. ATTENDED THREE: BERKSHIRE GEOBASH, HATFIELD MCCOY AND THE ONE IN ROME, GEORGIA
5. Complete the "81" grid. NOT YET, 5 MORE BLOCKS TO GO
6. Maintain and advance our Zombie Travel Bug project. DONE!
7. Launch ??? more ZTBs. VERY MUCH DONE!
8. Get a ZTB hit in the southern hemisphere. AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, ARGENTINA!
9. Get ZTBs into the remaining states (7 left to go).ONLY STATE THEY HAVE NOT BEEN TO IS SOUTH DAKOTA
10. Complete the Star Spangled Banner Geotrail. NOT YET
11. Complete the Washington County Geotrail. NOT YET
12. Rescue 5 travelbugs via the travel bug rescue site.. NOT YET
13. Do at least three geocaching weekend trips in areas locally (Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware). NOT YET (WE DID ONE TO OC OVER THANKSGIVING)
14. Continue to host a monthly meet and greet.DONE!
15. Place more truly outstanding hides. We want to give back to our community, and this is the best way we know how! The real list of goals we have lists the cache ideas, but we left that off of here. We have some fun things in store for you, and (insert shameless plug here) one of those goals was met today the publishing our first true puzzle cache: Enigma (http://coord.info/GC4WAQ6). We hope to publish an earth cache as well this year, and have a lot of other fun ideas in the hopper....PLACED WAY TOO FEW

If we do half of this it will be amazing!
Some progress. We're working up a new list for the new year, but maybe there should be a new thread for that....
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

I met 50% of my goals. I got an Earthcache published, but not a letterbox. I did get that DNF removed at RIT. I didn't get to Israel to get the lowest elevation (on land) geocache. Roof replacement had a higher priority on funds. :-/

nighthawk700 wrote:I've met most of my previous goals, so I'm keeping it simple this year:

1) Get get an EarthCache and a Letterbox-Hybrid published. (I waited too long to finish up the letterbox I was working on, it wound up getting archived out). Once I do this, I'll have at least one of each cache type.

2) Take a 60 mile detour off my trip to Oswego, NY this summer to remove a DNF at a really cool cache located at my alma mater. (Priorities!!)

3) Find the lowest elevation (on land) geocache. This is contingent on getting good ticket prices, and being able to get away from the in-laws when visiting!!!
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

coupleocachers wrote:Our Caching Goals

1) Attend Geowoodstock-Done!
2) Attend Midweast Geobash for the Third Year-Done!
3) Find at least 1000 caches in 2014-Found 1,124 might find a few tonight, but doubtful
4) Finish the Traveler's Challenge-Completed on our way to GW
5) Find and Log Montgomery ADC, Frederick ADC, All Counties, 366 Day Challenge, 100 Day Streak, Season Caching and Fizzy Challenges, We qualify for all just have to go get them.-Still need to pick up all those caches and the Traveler's Challenge
6) Complete CAM 2014-Done!
7) Get our First EarthCache and Letterbox Published-We got the Earthcache, but not the Letterbox
8) Hide more Dedication caches-We hid three this year
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

deepdish23 wrote:I like the topic. I usually make a mental note of geocaching goals at the beginning of each year.

1. Complete my calendar grid, only have Jan 22nd left, and I already have a cache reserved in case there is 3 feet of snow. Done
2. Hopefully publish a "National Treasure" type geocache adventure in the city of Frederick with help from the City itself and a certain puzzle master from the area. Done
3. Hopefully publish an Earthcache near where we vacation in Michigan. Got the information have not published yet.
4. Complete the Montgomery County ADC Challenge - 4 squares left - 1 square left
5. Either complete or get near completion of the Frederick County ADC Challenge - 10-12 squares left. - Completed just need to get the final
6. Planning on doing some caching in Erie PA when I attend the ASPGB this year, and someone put out over 50 non-traditional challenge caches in the area ranging from easy to complete to difficult. I am about 75% done in qualifying for the challenges but need to find about 30-40 puzzle, multi, letterbox, virtual, and earthcaches in Maryland to finish qualifying. I hope to grab those this year. Was able to do
7. Have fun and
8. Continue working on the goal that HoneyBadger34 and I set last year to get in shape to the point of grabbing GC3QGY4 - The Highest in the Haven and GCGB2Q - Top of Thousand Steps(Bear Paw Trail) on the same day sometime in the summer of 2015. Maybe 2016
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

So, how did we do? Here were my goals and results:

So far, mine are:
1. Hike more! did it!!
2. Attend GeoWoodstock did it!
3. Fill in my calendar grid Feb 1 is the only day I have left
4. Make more geo-friends yes, I did! I know some members better but will continue on this one
5. Finish the SSB trail did it!
6. Get the last grid for Maryland's DeLorme challenge did it, but I need to go get the final!!
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

We ended up with only four out of seven. I guess we know what a few of our 2015 goal are.
1) complete the 366 consecutive day streak: done
2) complete a double fizzy: done
3) find our 2500th puzzle cache: done
4) hide our 100th cache: unfinished
5) find our 100th Earthcache: unfinished
6) place another earthcache: unfinished
7) complete a month long streak of non-traditional cache finds: done twice (thanks to our wherigo loving zombies :smt041)
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

cacheSking wrote:1. Finish the Jasmer challenge (where is the MD cache of that anyway)? So close. Only one more needed--11/2000
2. Hide some 5/5s. There just aren't enough around. Did NOT hide any new ones. Did hide three 5Ds though.
3. Find some more 5/5s. I found nine of them in 2014. One was FTF.
4. Finish up I AM GORGEOUS Finished on May 24, 2014. EPIC.
5. Grab Maryland High Point Cache Grabbed on 8/8/2014 with the kids.
6. Find a bunch of kayak caches. Found several--don't know how to easily count them.
My goals for 2015 are fairly simple:
1. Reach a total of 50 5/5s this year, as I turn 50 in May. I currently have 33.
2. Finish JASMER. Just need to make the trip to Northern NJ, or Southern NY to grab Nov, 2000.
3. More kayak caches.
4. Hide a couple of 5/5s. I've got a couple of spots in mind . . .
5. Finish CAM 2015.
6. Go to GeoWoodstock!
7. Complete the PMCx series.
8. Have fun hanging out with my geo-friends.
9. Try not to get divorced while completing all of the above.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.