Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Educate me please

General Chit-Chat.
Ddubz1
MGS Member

Educate me please

Post by Ddubz1 »

My name is Ddubz1 or Donna in the Muggle world. I am fairly new to this and since I am still a lone finder still looking for a buddy or buddies to expand my area of caches I also am looking for anyone that can teach me anything about this. I can find the coordinates most times but still am having issues of finding things. Can anyone give me any advice on how to find them. Thanks
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Re: Educate me please

Post by bneeriemer »

You need a caching buddy. Also, I recommend attending caching events. At most of them there are caches hidden, which are easy finds.

CAM caches are particularly good to go for. They're usually easy to find once you get to the coordinates.

Good luck.
Ddubz1
MGS Member

Post by Ddubz1 »

Would love to find a geo buddy or buddies bur so far, no dice. May not find all cams in time so will probably shoot for next years. Right now, I just want more experience under my belt. I have difficulty in finding caches when they are micros but not accurate descriptions of them. I guess I need to find more before I am comfortable in what I am doing. Especially if I am a solo finder. Thanks for the info, I sincerely appreciate any and all help.
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

It would be very useful to you to attend an event. It will gain you exposure to a variety of cachers with varied levels of experience, who will all be eager to help. It also offers the opportunity to meet local cachers, one or more of whom may later go caching with you. If you can't find a local event, don't be shy about creating one yourself. While you may be new, if you build it, they will come. All you really need is a notebook, and a willingness to host. It often works better if you choose a location that offers free WiFi, and that allows folks to order their own food. We have found that Panera's work well.

In terms of finding caches, experience is what builds your geosense best. There comes a point in every search where it is time to retire the equipment and start using your head. The equipment should get you within 15-25 feet, if the posted coordinates are fairly accurate. Once you have established a reasonable ground zero, put the phone/GPSr away, and use your head. Start with everything you know:

-Size
- D/T ratings
- Description
- Name of cache
- Previous experiences with this CO's hides
- Hint (if available)
- Your own experience

Look for what does not fit in. Which one of these is not like the others? Look for straight edges, as these don't often occur in nature, but they almost always occur in cache containers. If you would hide something there, based on what you know, how would you go about it? Shake the branches of trees/shrubs; objects hung from them will oscillate differently than inherent parts of them.

While there are thousands of examples of hides on the internet, both photos and videos, there is no substitute for real life experience. Persistence is the key. You should also realize that you will not find every hide you go after, and make peace with that. DNFs are OK, the experience counts for more than the smiley. We've been caching for over ten years, and have over 3400 finds, and we still DNF hides.Sometimes your brain just doesn't register it, but later you have an "Aha!" moment. You can always go back.

Just a few quick pointers that may help, welcome to geocaching, and to the MGS!
Ddubz1
MGS Member

Post by Ddubz1 »

My thanks for educating me. I see a caching event happening June 30th but not before. I plan on attending that if all goes well. Is there a sooner date for an event? I am so not prepared to find the cams but next year.... hopefully by then I will have gained a more advanced knowledge of being able to obtain what has been hidden. Thanks again for the info.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

For your request for a caching buddy, I see you live on the eastern shore. Driving to Hagerstown is probably out. Otherwise, there's an intro to geocaching event Apr. 24 at 1, which seems to be perfect for you.

Unfortunately, the biggest eastern shore event that I know about has been cancelled this year.

My suggestion for some easy caches is to look for larger caches. The larger the target, the easier it is to spot them.

If you're near a urban center, you can try for what they call LPC (Light Post Cache).
These are usually hidden under the metal skirt at the base of a street lamp in a shopping center.

Also, search for: Former MML Geotrail 2013.
These were easy hides in towns all over MD.
GC40YVB is in Cambridge, MD.
GC411D6 is in Trappe, MD
GC4118X is in Delmar, MD

Good luck
Ddubz1
MGS Member

Post by Ddubz1 »

Thank you the information, I know I seem completely hopeless but this has become a great way to recover from having 9 spinal fusions and having an outlet since I'm now retired makes it all the more fun. Physical therapy aside, I love doing this and hope that I get better and better at it. I sincerely thank you for the mentoring. Is the June 30th event still on?
rachander
MGS Member

Post by rachander »

ddubz, where are you located? I live in Delmar, and would love a geobuddy. I have taken many people with me, but have not found anyone who is really into it, so most of the time, I cache alone.
Ddubz1
MGS Member

Post by Ddubz1 »

I'm in Kent Island, Stevensville
Dradicus
MGS Member

Post by Dradicus »

I'd keep an eye out over the bridge in Annapolis and that General area. Not a whole lot posted right now but sometimes they pop up over night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hostanut
MGS Member

Post by hostanut »

You may want to start a list of PAFs....cachers that you can call when you are at a cache and having problems......sometimes a little confirmation that you are looking in the correct spot may be all you need.
SeeKPeeKRs
MGS Member

Post by SeeKPeeKRs »

If I remember correctly, mm52 (look for her profile on GC.com) lives near you …. See if she is available; I am pretty sure that she has hidden a number of caches in your area and am pretty confident that she would be willing to give a few hints and nudges.
Just do it!
Ddubz1
MGS Member

Post by Ddubz1 »

My sincere thanks for all the information. I learned a lot. found quite a few since I last posted. Now I need information on words that are on Geomap. Example: The word "WIZARD" is on the Maryland map but I can solve some of the ciphers but unsure how to go about doing them. Can someone educate me on this? Thanks
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

(Im gonna input here because Candy doesnt read the forums to often) mm52 does do some caching but I know her schedule doesnt work to well for most days because she works full time. She does have several caches on KI & a couple off. They arent real hard but they can be a bit of a challenge. :) The majority of the rest of the caching on KI & to Chestertown were mine but I adopted most of them out last yr when I moved. They are relatively easy to find & to get to. There are about 70 caches I put out & are still there. All along the Matepeak Trail & the Cross Island Trail. Out on CBEC & around. You can get a good work out looking for them & see how the different sizes & difficulty levels work best for you.

Good Luck.

Dalene Weiss (Mother Wolf)
Ddubz1
MGS Member

Post by Ddubz1 »

My thanks Mother Wolf. I am up to 110 so far. I have learned a lot these past few months and can't ask for anything more. You have helped add to my growing education in geocaching and for that I say thank you. I have found a local buddy and am teaching him what I know along the way. I also got my mother in NC and my sister in NY involved in it.
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

Thats great about introducing new folks. Since caching can be done at ANY level or any place makes it easy to touch everyone. The best part is just spending time together away from the house & its trappings.
If you have any questions along the way just drop me a note. Ill help any way I can.
Glad you are enjoying your adventures. Every time I go out I learn a little something new or if I go to a M&G or an event I meet new folks, hear great stories & develop new game plans & ideas. Continue to enjoy! :dance: