Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

February 2017 Member Spotlight: Candybear118

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

February 2017 Member Spotlight: Candybear118

Post by humphr1d »

This month's MGS Member Spotlight is one of MGS' central region members. I have had the opportunity to cache with Candace twice this year and have really enjoyed getting to know her better. She is one determined cacher! She amazed me with her tenacity to overcome tough terrain and long hikes while keeping a smile on her face the whole time. It is my distinct pleasure to introduce you to Candybear118!

Interview Date: 02/16/17

Caching Name: Candybear118

1. How did you become involved in geocaching. When did you start?
I was introduced to geocaching by another geocacher, rmnedrow, who had given me a premium membership. I found my first cache on April 5, 2016 and have been caching ever since.

2. How did you choose your caching name?
I had used this name as my “handle” since my citizens band (CB) radio days.

3. How many caches have you found so far?

4. What brand/type of GPS do you use?
I use my Samsung Galaxy S5 Android cell phone.

5. What programs/software or hardware (PDA/laptop/phone) do you use to make caching easier?
I use c:geo, a geocaching application for Android devices.

6. What type of cache do you prefer seeking - traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual?
I prefer multi-caches. I really enjoy seeking the various stages and then the final cache.

7. Which caches were the most challenging - physically/mentally? Why?
I would have to say that “Animal attraction” (GC30V49) had to be my most physically challenging cache I have found thus far. The steep hill I had to climb to get back to the trail is not one I will forget anytime soon.

My most mentally challenging cache find so far was “2 Waterfalls + 1 Blue Dinosaur + DANGER!” (GC5XJ4X). What made this multi-cache challenging for me was the locations of the stages and collecting the necessary information at the first couple of stages.

8. Do you have a favorite or favorites among the Maryland caches that you've found?

For a multi-cache, “2 Waterfalls + 1 Blue Dinosaur + DANGER!” https://coord.info/GC5XJ4X as I mentioned above.
As for mystery caches, “The Hollander Puzzle” https://coord.info/GC6ZTJP, “Marylands Most Haunted: The Secret Room” https://coord.info/GC12QX4, and “GFSP Cipher - Telephone Keypad” https://coord.info/GC5HBMJ.

9. What's the most unusual thing that you've ever found in a cache?

Hmm, I would have to say a Band-Aid.

10. What are your current caching goals? Is there a certain cache that you can't wait to do?
My current geocaching goal is to find a geocache for each of the 366 days calendar and hopefully to also complete the 366 day streak.

Additionally, I am looking forward to working on some of WV Tim’s smart caches. I also want to complete the LOST geo-art trail near Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

11. How many caches have you placed? Do you have a current hiding goal?
I have placed nine traditional caches and hosted two geocaching events. Currently I do not have any hiding goals but enjoy taking advantage of hiding opportunities when I run across them.

12. What advice would you give someone that wants to place a cache? What steps do YOU take when placing a cache?
My advice to share with cachers who may be new to placing caches is to take your time to and get the coordinates as accurate as possible.

As for when I place caches, my first step is to ensure I follow all of the placement requirements specified by Groundspeak and obtain permission of property owners where applicable. Next I take care to read the coordinates at least three times to average and round them off. Finally I collect relevant information about the hide location so I can incorporate the information into my hide submission for review and publishing.

13. How often do you go caching?
I try to cache everyday and am currently working on my new streaking goal.

14. What advice would you give a beginning geocacher?
Attend events, read geocaching forums, and talk to other cachers who can give you advice to help you along.

15. Have you completed CAM in the past? What was your favorite aspect?
I was able to complete CAM for first time last year. My favorite aspect was seeing the different sights while traveling to different locations. Also, I really enjoyed earning my first CAM coin during the process.

16. Do you collect geocoins? Of the ones that you've collected, which is your favorite?
Yes I do collected geocoins, my favorite geocoins are my GeoWoodtock XIII coins. They are the first geocoins I received.

17. What type of gear do you carry with you on your caching trips? What's in your geopack?
I carry several items to include: a pen and paper, tweezers, tape, spare replacement logs, a prepared cache to place, first aid kit, water, hand towels, paracord, socks, change of clothes, and spare pair of shoes.

18. What is your most memorable caching experience?
My most memorable geocaching experience was when I did “The Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area Geotrail”. I teamed up with a group and we were able to see lots of sites, as well as, learn a lot of history about Maryland. I learned so much about Maryland and the Civil War!

19. What is your best caching story?
I would have to say that my best geocaching story was when I went after “The Hollander Puzzle” https://coord.info/GC6ZTJP. I was geocaching with some friends and a new cache was published. We decided to go and try for the first to find. When we got to the posted location we immediately set to work to solve the puzzle. Between putting our heads together and consulting the internet, we were able to solve the puzzle, open the puzzle box, and happily sign as the First to Find!

20. What do you like about geocaching? What keeps you going?
My favorite thing about geocaching is the traveling and the seeing different things and places. I also enjoy finding Pathtags and discovering trackables and geocoins. What keeps me going is knowing there's a new adventure out there every day when I go to get a geocache.

21. Besides geocaching, what other things do you like to do?
I enjoy hiking, camping, traveling, driving, and swimming.

22. What question did you expect us to ask but didn't?
What is the craziest thing you have done in order to retrieve a geocache? I would have to say the craziest thing I have done was to shimmy a light pole in order to reach a cache.
anitajforever
MGS Member

Re: February 2017 Member Spotlight: Candybear118

Post by anitajforever »

Congratulations Candybear118
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

Nice writeup. I am glad you were able to join the two groups to grab the oldest multis in the state. it was great to meet and talk to you.
wizardofmd69
MGS Member

Post by wizardofmd69 »

Great writeup!!! It's always fun when caching with you especially when you fall in the water. LOL
Shenanagan
Former MGS Officer

Post by Shenanagan »

Nice write up! It's great to see you at events and on the trails! I love your enthusiasm! I can't wait to see if you make it to 366 days of caching - it's tough, but such an accomplishment!
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

Nice spotlight, Candace! I've enjoyed getting to know you at my events, and it's great to see you've starting hosting your own! Good luck with the streak! Mmm, that word kinda looks like steak. I'm hungry now.
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Nice spotlight thanks for letting us learn more about you. Hope to see you on the trails.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace