Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Logging travel bugs with the new Groundspeak app

General Chit-Chat.
zekester
MGS Member

Logging travel bugs with the new Groundspeak app

Post by zekester »

Using the OLD app, one created travel bug logs concurrent with the cache log, individually marking the status of each TB before you sent the entire log in. This was the same paradigm as is used when one creates cache logs on the website.

In Groundspeak's new application for mobile devices, the work-flow is a bit different; here's a quote from a thread on the Groundspeak forums for how to do it:

"Thanks. It looks like you have to log the cache find in the caching 'section' of the app, then go into the trackable section of the app, find the trackable you want to log from your inventory, then locate the cache that you already just found again on the map and log the trackable activity to that cache completely separately from logging the cache find.
On the old app you could log the trackable activity whilst logging the cache find, you didn't have to do it as a separate job. I didn't even think to go into the trackable section of the app, as you didn't have to previously. I was looking for a hidden menu or some way to do it while logging the cache find.

Doesn't really seem like a step forward, but at least it can be done. Thanks."

If one is carrying numerous TBs, this will be a beast to do.
J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Re: Logging travel bugs with the new Groundspeak app

Post by J.J.PEW »

I understand how to log trackables on the new app and even though it's more steps than the old one, I do get it. What I don't understand is why the app doesn't update trackables when they've been sent from a different phone. If my husband drops off a trackable and logs it on his phone, it doesn't remove it from mine even though we share the account. Right now, I have 10 more trackables listed even though they've all been dropped off and logged. If I look at the geocaching website, they have the correct ones there, but not on the app. Any help would be appreciated.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Have you closed and restarted the app? Once it queries the geocaching.com server it should update. Could be a bug that they haven't experienced yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Post by J.J.PEW »

Yes, I've closed and reopened the app many times, but without success.
J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Post by J.J.PEW »

I solved the problem. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. Now the only trackables on the app are the ones we actually have.
Dradicus
MGS Member

Post by Dradicus »

This was one of the main reasons I've continued to use the old app but now when I open it, it will be disappearing on 3/23/17 :( from my experience after I have logged a find on the new app if I go back to the description and scroll down you can open the trackables section and log them that way without having to reselect the cache on the map. It's still a pain and much easier in the old app but it looks like we won't have a choice at the end of this week. Also, the old app compass seems to be more accurate than the new one but perhaps it's just my phone. I'll stick to my GPS.