Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2017 Logs — Welcome to Sykesville

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
Alzarius
MGS Director

CAM 2017 Logs — Welcome to Sykesville

Post by Alzarius »

You may post your CAM 2017: Welcome to Sykesville logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 6th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Re: CAM 2017 Logs — Welcome to Sykesville

Post by lpaulriddle »

I had a couple of free hours this afternoon, and decided to pick off some “low hanging fruit”, e.g. a couple of CAM hides within 30 minutes of home. I love “walking tour” caches, but my kids aren’t much into them, so I decided this would be a good one to tackle by myself. I’ve done quite a bit of caching in and around Sykesville. I recognized most of the Wherigo stages from other multi-stage caches I’ve found here. Two such caches in town that are well worth your time are A Few of Our Favourite Things and Getting Your Bearing. As for this one, I had no issues downloading or playing the cartridge on my iPhone 6. The stages were well thought out, and the answers to the questions were easy to find and straightforward. I saw a couple of other groups working on various stages as I walked around, but didn’t actually run into anyone until the final, where I met zorrobarnes, Deep Concern, and portlywalker. Nice to catch up and talk shop for a few minutes. The final was very well done! Thanks for all of the effort that obviously went into putting this Wherigo together. Hopefully we’ll see more like this in future years. TNLNSL. TFTC! Find #3038.
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

Was disappointed to not be able to cache all day yesterday for the first day of CAM and then today turned out to be cloudy, chilly and drizzly. Got a call from Deep Concern and portlywalker, who wanted to learn how to do a wherigo so I suggested we do this one today. So in the middle of this afternoon, we drove all the way here from Silver Spring only to discover I couldn't get the cartridge to play one any of 3 phones! I was about to think we were going to have to drive home without a find.
I put in a call for tech assistance to Alzarius not really thinking he might be available as I suspected he might be deluged with calls, but I got a call back very shortly. As I was explaining our dilemma, the mortards pulled up. Between Alzarius and the mortards we finally got the technology to work and we had an enjoyable, if chilly tour of Sykesville.
Halfway through we ran into 2 other cachers having difficulty with the wherigo and were able to help them get on track.
When we got to the final we ran in to lpaulriddle.
TFTC and another unexpected adventure.
Dazie62
MGS Member

Post by Dazie62 »

March 26, 2017 Day2 on our C.A.M adventure .
TFTC & [:)] and for the opportunity for me to complete my first whereigo ( ok not my first done , but yes , my first done with my own phone and downloaded information [:)] ) as we forgot to bring along the laptop and cords to connect the GPS to load the file , my new phone was compatible and off we all went on this enjoyable and informative "hike" . We arrived fairly early and the town was quite so off to our tasks we went ..we enjoyed each stop and enjoyed a Sunday's stroll ( glad the shops weren't open yet or I might still be there shopping [:)] , glad too they were closed so I could keep to the task of caching as our plan today is to complete three more of the eleven caches ....THANK YOU FOR THE FUN ...
devildog1540
MGS Member

Post by devildog1540 »

3/25/17 This was my first whereigo cache and it was a lot of fun! The town was very cool and enjoyed learning the local history. This was the 3rd CAM cache of the day for me and my cohorts TripMeister & JGatsby, so after walking around town we found a friendly pub to have a drink and some food before heading home. The perfect place to end the day!
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

3/25/17 CAM find #2. After Fort McHenry, we headed to Sykesville. I had the whereigo in my Oregon and Pegasusmoon had it in her phone. It worked flawlessly for us! It was nicely done! We enjoyed the town and the history! One of my teachers is a skateboarder who has been to the local skatepark and I was able to share some history with him today! Nicely done! We had one little snafu because we were hungry and tired and didn't take the use of the word "literally" literally. I can't believe we did that especially after we spotted final cache container! Thanks for the fun! This gets a favorite point and I will definitely go back to do the other caches in town one of these days! SL TFTC
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 26th at 3:15 PM, CAM #3

We'd spent Friday and Saturday night at Deep Creek Lake and decided instead of doing more caching in Western Maryland where the weather had turned foggy and cold, we'd make a strategic strike into central Maryland to knock out the wherigo and maybe one other CAM cache.
We've done Wherigos before but it has been a while since we've used it so we made sure both of our phones had the app loaded and working and downloaded the cartridge on the first day of CAM to make sure it would start.
It was a bit of a chilly walk at first until we got the blood moving. We really weren't familiar with Sykesville even though we only live about 40 minutes away. The walking tour was very informative, especially all of the history around the railroad. As we crossed the tracks a train actually came through behind us so that just added to the overall experience. The Wherigo worked like a charm and we had no issues following along and answering the questions. Kudos on the great final container, very well done! At the final we even got a chance to meet a lady who walks her cat there everyday... yes, WALKS her cat.
As we were about to leave, who should we spot in the parking lot but Zorrobarnes, DeepConcern and PortleyWalker. They were having a few issues getting the cartridge loaded on their phones so we tried to help out as best we could. Eventually everyone was up and running so we left them to enjoy the walk. It's amazing the amount of teamwork one can witness out on the CAM trail!

Thanks for the great Wherigo! TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

WJ family
MGS Member

Post by WJ family »

CAM cache #9 for us...drove over after doing the 2 in Western Maryland in the fog. Weather was much warmer over here! We had to email the Wherigo to the phone to get it to load...for some reason it wouldn't download directly. But no hitches after that. Enjoyed learning about the town's history and really liked the final container!
Profbrad
MGS Member

Post by Profbrad »

This was the first stop for 74vwBusFamily and me after attending the kickoff event in Cumberland. Our plan was to travel east and complete at least 8 of the finds during the first 36 hrs. That would leave us the remaining two in the western part of the state, which would be easier to come back for from Altoona PA.

We enjoyed touring the town and visiting each stop. We had a little initial problem with the cartridge running on our phones, but we soon got going and it worked out fine. It was a beautiful morning and a great way to "begin" our CAM road trip. Thanks!
davee-n-cachincarrie
MGS Member

Post by davee-n-cachincarrie »

This was our fourth (and final) find of Day 2 of CAM and our ninth overall.

It was getting close to 6 p.m. by the time we got here, but daylight was still plentiful. We encountered another pair of cachers on the second or third stage and ended up following them for the remainder. As with other times along CAM when this has happened, we stayed back as far as we could so as to not rush them and/or hurt their (or our) experience. We finally got back with them and chatted for a few minutes as they were leaving the final. And what a final! Wow, this is a neatly constructed cache. I hope it lasts.

With this, we headed home for the end of a long weekend. (Almost 900 miles on the road! Carrie was an awesome driver for it all and I was an OK navigator.) We hope to get the two we have left, the Southern Maryland pair, this coming weekend.

Thanks for all that is done to make CAM such a memorable experience!
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

We decided to stay close to home today and do National Park Seminary and Sykesville wherigo together. Picked up mdfroglover about 9:00 am and headed for the Seminary. After finishing the Seminary, we drove to Sykesville. I must admit I had some trepidation about this cache. It is not that we do not like wherigos, we love to do them. It is just that we are not very good at it. I do not think I have ever done a wherigo straight through, without without the wherigo app locking up or stopping in the middle and having to back to the start. Today, I loaded the cartridge into my iPhone and, as a back up, I loaded the cartridge into the Garmin Oregon. Sure enough, on the third stop, the iPhone stopped working and reverted back to the start. However, the Oregon continued to work so we soldiered on, eventually getting to the end without further incident. Bless its little Garmin heart. This was number 6 for this year's CAM for us.
HalfwayHome2014
MGS Member

Post by HalfwayHome2014 »

2 questions.
1. How long does the whereyougo takes?
2. I have downloaded the file but when I open the app on my samsung, does not find the file. I have not been to the location yet. I just wanted to make sure it worked first. Does that have something to do with it?

Mark
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

I had some free time this morning and wanted to attempt the CAM 2017: Welcome to Sykesville wherigo cache. I had a good day with a FTF, a lonely cache find (19 months) and a wherigo find which was a CAM 2017 cache to boot. I also ran into several cachers just as I was finishing the CAM cache.

I was pleasantly surprised that the cartridge worked flawlessly. :applause: I don't own a cell phone and used my old Oregon 400. Kudos to the creator. Ever since the phone app came out, it seems that newly created wherigos don't work so well on my GPSr. The tour was excellent and final was also very well done. I'm giving it a favorite point. [:)] :D

Once I finished the cache, I went to grab one other nearby cache and was muggled by LynchTrekkers and a crew he had with him. It seemed that the cartridge didn't load correctly on his device and another cacher with him could not get the phone app to run either. So I offered to let them use my device. I walked well behind everyone and let them experience the cache for themselves.
Last edited by sfcchaz on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

4/1 We were in the Sykesville area the end of Feb to find caches along River Rd and then Forgotten History, as we drove through town I thought this would be a fun place to come back to and explore and find more caches. Today was the day. I teamed up with Flamingogirl who is able to load the WhereIgo caches on her phone.

I arrived before her and parked somewhere other than the listed parking coords. As I was waiting for her to arrive I noticed a couple walk in front of my car on their way somewhere holding a phone and I wondered if they were cachers. Then just a few minutes later they walked back. I bet they are. Once Flamingogirl arrived we made our way to the first part but she was having trouble making the thing work. We tried a few things then called someone and tried a few more things and called someone else who gave us a nudge.

In the end the couple who walked in front of my car most certainly were on the CAM trail because we walked the same way to the final. We should have followed my hunch and looked there first. Taht would have defeated the purpose on the CAM after all its the journey.
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

TFTC! This was my last of five CAM caches today. I arrived at Sykesville and met Team Red Oak where she had parked. I had a lot of trouble with the cartridge (android phone). I tried updating it, uninstalling it, installing it, and opening the cartridge multiple times. Made a couple of phone calls to check on the cartridge and ask some questions. TRO had a hunch on where the final was from some sights she noticed while waiting for me.

Loved the container! Very unique and a nice tie in with the area. Ended this very long day with an early dinner with TRO at one of the local establishments.
jpatton
MGS Member

Post by jpatton »

HalfwayHome2014 wrote:2 questions.
2. I have downloaded the file but when I open the app on my samsung, does not find the file. I have not been to the location yet. I just wanted to make sure it worked first. Does that have something to do with it?

Mark
It took me about 45 minutes to complete, including a couple small hiccups along the way. I wasn't hurrying, but didn't stop to look at every shop along the way.

I don't have a Samsung phone. But on mine, the files are stored in /storage/emulated/0/WhereYouGo/ Its been so long since I've set up my phone, I don't remember if I had to do anything special or not.

Good luck.
Jeff
LynchTrekkers
MGS Member

Post by LynchTrekkers »

Found Sat. 4/1/17. #2 of CAM 2017.

First let me say that this would not have been a find Saturday without awesome cachers like sfcchaz.

My son and I arrived at the parking coordinates and met my niece (SoccerLexie) and family who are new to caching and for the very first time attempting CAM. At The starting point we knew we were in trouble. There was a beer taste-testing across the street that tried to lure my brother-in-law away. We also had trouble with technology. Could not get whereigo on my Garmin. We try to load it onto my sister cell phone but kept getting an error code after downloading the cartridge. Not a good start on my part introducing my niece to the joys of CAM.

Then, from the corner of my eye I spy someone poking around. After he finished I approached and realized its sfcchaz. He tried to help us with our technical problem but when it became obvious it wasn't going to work, he graciously allowed us to use his device to complete the whereigo. We went ahead and followed behind making sure the brother in law didn't try to run off to beer tasting. The whereigo was top notch. The container was as well. Gets a favorite from me. I'd give sfcchaz a favorite point too if I could.

This year with 11 caches there will be some who only get the required 10 and some who get all 11. But before you brag, I suspect sfcchaz will be able to claim 12. LOL. I've been doing this for years and have run across tons of amazing people while geocaching. After today, I say without a doubt, my niece and family are hooked. As always TFTC and thanks sfcchaz :applause:

LynchTrekkers
CivilRightsCacher
MGS Member

Post by CivilRightsCacher »

Date Found: 4/2/2017, CAM Find: 6/11

This was the first Whereigo for both Zoop Cacher and myself. I have always wanted to do a Whereigo, I just had trouble in the past loading cartridges and ended up putting it on my "to-do" list someday. Well, today was that day!

Zoop and I tried to download the cartridges to the app on day 1 of CAM and it would not download to either of our iPhone 6s. After a few days passed with no luck and other cachers telling me the technical difficulties they were having with the Whereigo, I asked BethanyInWonderland if she and Cooley1103 had gotten it yet, and if not, if they'd be willing to do it with us? Being the wonderful people they are, they agreed to meet us bright and early on a Sunday morning.

Zoop and I both had finally been able to download the cartridge before we arrived, but only mine worked on the app once we got to the parking location. Bethany and Brian explained to us the general idea how it worked and got me started in the app, and together with their adorable dogs we began to explore the town of Sykesville together.

This town is very well deserving of the title "Coolest Small Town." From the beautiful Victorian homes to the historic buildings along the tour, the gorgeous churches, and the small boutique shops that lined main street, you get a feel that this is the type of town you should come back to and spend a lot of time in. I loved exploring this small town, and doing it via a Whereigo with other great people was a fantastic way to experience this town for the first time.

And the host housing the geocache - well I do not want to spoil it for anyone else, but I will say that I am so impressed with the skill and craftsmanship that went into this geocache. Consider this a virtual handshake, cache hider. Well done :applause:

Since we did this at 8 am on a Sunday, none of the cool shops were open. However, this town is now on the top of my list for a day of exploring, shopping, and eating at the restaurant by the train tracks. Thanks for taking us on this adventure!!!

Happy CAMing!
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

First CAM cache for me for 2017.

This is the first WhereIGo I’ve done in a long time. Last time, I had an older phone and an older version of the WhereYouGo app for Android. Learned after the 3rd stage to save and restart because I had to go all the way back. Today, everything ran smoothly. Newer phone? Newer version of the app? Better coding of the cartridge? The thing worked perfectly.

As I was coming back over the bridge, I ran into soccertoa, MDSearchers, and littleblkdog heading the other way. Rather than just pass on by, I joined their group.

We made one minor wrong turn on our way to one stage. Other than that, nice tour through some Sykesville history.

Ran into Larspolo, QueenBee, and a couple of others (oops, forgot your names) at the final.

CAM has officially begun for me!
BethanyInWonderland
Former MGS Officer

Post by BethanyInWonderland »

jpatton wrote:
HalfwayHome2014 wrote:2 questions.

Mark

I don't have a Samsung phone. But on mine, the files are stored in /storage/emulated/0/WhereYouGo/
I was out of network and couldn't respond earlier. Jeff is right - you can see the file pointer from settings, then global in the app. If you can't change the location of the pointer, try moving the file to the specified folder. I have a Samsung and had a similar issue until I moved the file.

Save your progress frequently while you play, too!