Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Where do you get those beautiful ammo cans

General Chit-Chat.
Spliffa
MGS Member

Where do you get those beautiful ammo cans

Post by Spliffa »

Hello everyone! I'm planning on planting several caches this summer, and I'm asking where you get your ammo cans? I know they come in several shapes and sizes, but since I'm planning on planting several caches, I'm mostly concerned about price. (By the way, this is my first non-CAM-related post. :D )
mcgmarauders
MGS Member

Re: Where do you get those beautiful ammo cans

Post by mcgmarauders »

Dick's Sporting Goods has them at reasonable prices - and sometimes even reduced on sale!
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

Wal-mart has them too. In sporting goods.
Also, lock and lock containers work well.
Spliffa
MGS Member

Post by Spliffa »

Thanks. I've used lock-n-locks before, and they work well.
I check out Dick's the next time I'm in there. I rarely go to that store, so the thought never crossed my mind.
Zepp914
MGS Member

Post by Zepp914 »

Bass Pro Shop and Costco have them. The price varies, so keep an eye out when they go on sale.
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

The most cost effective ammo can option I have found is - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-1312-Ammo-Can/23247620. I don't think you will beat the $4.88 price and I have used them for both geocaching and non-geocaching uses with good results.

If you go with the plastic option, stay away from the Harbor Freight can. They don't hold up to the elements and you will quickly have a wet mess inside.

- Lostsole68
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

Arre you interested in the real thing, or knock-off plastic containers? The best source I have found for the real thing (since I got out of the Navy):

https://www.midwayusa.com/military-surp ... ?cid=23390

Most military personnel are required to maintain profficiency on a variety of firearms, so yearly gun qual shoots are part of the routine, and they go through a lot of ammo. Even in the submarine force, we had pallets of used ammo cans that went to The Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO). This is where all U.S. military surplus comes from, and it gets auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Real ammo cans are painted (older ones are powder coated), have en excellent knife-edge to gasket seal, and stand up to a huge amount of abuse. The MILSPEC standard for .45 caliber ammo runs to 19 pages, includes airtightness, corrosion, and compression wave (detonation) survivability standards.

As a container, these make great caches.

To a non-geocacher, they also look like military gear, and can easily be associated with non-geocaching related activities, resulting in bomb-squad response, etc. Make sure you label the outside well to indicate that it is a geocache, and ensure that you have landowner permission for placement.

Locally, I've found them at there surplus store on Buckeystown Pike south of Frederick, but his prices are ridiculous.
Shenanagan
Former MGS Officer

Post by Shenanagan »

Costco sells a 2 pack of metal ammo cans (one 50 cal and one 30 cal) for $17.99. I have 4 unpainted flare cans in good condition that I'm selling for $20 a piece or all for $75. Let me know if you're interested in those! 301-787-4761.