Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

New Virtuals!

General Chit-Chat.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

New Virtuals!

Post by Sue-Cat »

Who's been given one to publish?

I've got one.

Corfmania has one.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
deepdish23
MGS Director

Re: New Virtuals!

Post by deepdish23 »

I know of at least one more Marylander that has one, but I will let them announce that they have one.
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

I have one 8O
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

:-D

Of course.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

Me, too!!

I'm really curious about their algorithm. I'm not a prolific hider, and in fact, more than 50% of my caches are adopted. That said, I'm a stickler for maintenance, so I'd venture a guess that most of my listings have a high "health" score...
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

Yes. I'm also guessing how long your caches have been active for comes into it.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

Maybe favorite points come into the algorithm too.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

Congratulations to all of you, looking forward to seeing what you do with them!
fuzzydave
MGS Officer

Post by fuzzydave »

Now I have to figure out how to get notifications for new virtuals.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
fuzzydave
MGS Officer

Post by fuzzydave »

fuzzydave wrote:Now I have to figure out how to get notifications for new virtuals.

Huh, that wasn't so hard. Never would've guessed I'd have to do that.

Zepp914
MGS Member

Post by Zepp914 »

Thankfully I didn't get one. I would hate to spend the next few weeks trying to come up with an amazing placement. I would probably end up putting the Kilroy one back in DC.
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

Zepp914 wrote:Thankfully I didn't get one. I would hate to spend the next few weeks trying to come up with an amazing placement. I would probably end up putting the Kilroy one back in DC.
I said the same thing :D
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

Forgot some twit archived Kilroy.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

My recollection is that the CO archived Kilroy because he/she was no longer active in the game, and was tired of dealing with the hassle of verifying visits/deleting logs/etc., which to me, is an argument in favor of allowing adoptions. If GS is now allowing new virtuals to be published, why not allow adoptions of older, well-loved virtuals to more active owners?

Also curious what kind of permission would be required to place a virtual at a national monument nowadays.. I get the feeling it wouldn't be as easy as it was back in 2001-2002.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

I understand why they're not allowing adoption of the newly created virtuals... virtual for sale?! Adoption by cachers with poor maintenance record (etc)...

Adoption of the existing grandfathered virts and webcams should never have been taken away though...?
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

Sir Crab, please clarify permission requirements for the new virts.

The guidelines at https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.p ... 7&pgid=899 say

"Virtual Caches must be placed in locations where geocachers are allowed to enter. In some sensitive areas the reviewer can ask for permission to ensure the land manager is aware of the Virtual Cache."

Also, it has long been my understanding that in a cache with multiple stages, virtual stages are allowed in places where physical caches are not (in fact I owned one such cache, now archived for non-related reasons).

Hence, is permission required if placing a new virtual in publicly accessible NPS land, the AT, C&O Canal, the Frederick waterhsed and so forth where physical caches are generally not allowed? I think no, but EC's in such places require permission, so?
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

Sue-Cat wrote:Sir Crab, please clarify permission requirements for the new virts.

The guidelines at https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.p ... 7&pgid=899 say

"Virtual Caches must be placed in locations where geocachers are allowed to enter. In some sensitive areas the reviewer can ask for permission to ensure the land manager is aware of the Virtual Cache."

Also, it has long been my understanding that in a cache with multiple stages, virtual stages are allowed in places where physical caches are not (in fact I owned one such cache, now archived for non-related reasons).

Hence, is permission required if placing a new virtual in publicly accessible NPS land, the AT, C&O Canal, the Frederick waterhsed and so forth where physical caches are generally not allowed? I think no, but EC's in such places require permission, so?
+1.

I'm also curious about Maryland State Parks. I'm assuming that asking for permission is always the safe bet, but the stated guidelines for the reward virtuals are a little vague...
Serrabou
MGS Member

Post by Serrabou »

While of course precedent isn't considered, one of the first virtual rewards published was at the Alamo, which is run by the NPS. It seems highly unlikely that permission was granted for that. That cache requires a photo at what is apparently an easy and legal location to access. One might extrapolate that for other caches: e.g. as long as it doesn't require entering a sensitive or closed area you're probably ok. I would think, say, bushwhacking on NPS land might raise a flag. At least that's my take.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

Agreed. Good point about bushwacking on NPS land.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
mcgmarauders
MGS Member

Post by mcgmarauders »

Does anyone know if any new Virtuals have been published in our area yet?
We were lucky to be in Portland, Oregon on Monday just after "The City Of Roses" (GC7B666) was made available and it was right where we had already planned to visit!