Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

eBay auction for 160,000 TB codes

General Chit-Chat.
Lostsole68
MGS Member

eBay auction for 160,000 TB codes

Post by Lostsole68 »

Here is an eBay auction 160,000 codes to be discovered  :evil:

Everyone needs to Report this item - http://cgi1.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?R ... ler=hastur

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geocaching-trav ... R#viTabs_0

The process is as following:
1) A database of codes has already been collected, and currently consists of about 160 000 activated, functional codes.
2) Upon received payment, a new list will be generated from the database.
     - This new list is a random selection of codes from the database.
     - Each code is checked to make sure it is located in a cache, and logged by someone in the last 6 months (to REDUCE the chances of being missing).
     - No geographical location of the TBs are taken into account.
3) This newly generated list will be sent to you as soon as possible.
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer

Re: eBay auction for 160,000 TB codes

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

So that we're not shooting in the dark, under what catagorizations do you suggest that we file the report? I'd suggest that we be uniform in the categorization.
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
mjb007
MGS Member

Post by mjb007 »

Have you contacted GC folks? I would think they would be the most interested.
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

mjb007 wrote:Have you contacted GC folks? I would think they would be the most interested.

I have contacted both local reviewers and GCGQ.

Here is the response I got from the seller

Question:

This is Wrong. Why do you feel it is OK to sell other Geocachers TB codes. This code is not for public use (ie yours to sell) and the use should be determined by the owner and GeocachingHQ.

Response:

New message from: hastur (75Blue Star)
I definitely agree with you. I would be disappointed by finding this listing on ebay, myself.

I am however a student scraping for money. I managed to write a program that found all these TB-codes, and wanted to try to use that info to maybe earn a couple of bucks... I was debating doing this with myself for a few days, but in the end decided that I would list it and there would be 2 potential outcomes:
1) Some people would buy it and I would get a bit of pocket-money
2) I would in general get negative feedback, and in that case take the listing down.
You are now the first person to contact me, and I appreciate that. I really do.

I apologize for having a low moral code, and if I get a couple more negative messages from people, this listing will go away. I am greatly aware of how immoral this is, but at the same time, as I said, I'm scraping :(

Have a nice day!
Last edited by Lostsole68 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

Nobody can take away anyone else's integrity. Only they can give it away. Or in this case, put it up for auction.

I'd be surprised if you get any response from Groundspeak. The only means they would have to take any retributive action would be to restrict that user's account if they can figure out who it is. It is quite simple to create a new account, or a non-attributed account to use, many cachers have multiple accounts for a variety of reasons. Groundspeak does not care much about TBs, other than that they are a source of income. Once you've spent the money to acquire the tag (or number) you are pretty much on your own.

Surprised the seller thinks this is a money making proposition. There are dozens of websites that list TB and coins codes for discovery for free.

Here's an exchange I had recently when another "cacher" logged a number of our TBs that had not been in circulation for many years:

08/23/2017
Anberta:
Hi Zekester & Simon,
i found an old list from my friend and i log the TBs... I don't really seen the TBs, but i log them...
If you don't like, I apologize for the inconvenience, delete my log.
Thanks for for comprehension.
Anberta

08/23/2017
Zekester & Simon
Why log numbers from a list? What is the appeal of that?

08/23/2017
Anberta
Only statistic and race with my friend, nothing with geocaching game...
Ask forgiveness if i'm wrong ....
I do not know the owners, we have fun logging TBs found on the net and among friends."

These are not cachers, but people who have leveraged Groundspeak's system to create a competitive game of your own. To some degree this occurred because Groundspeak created "Discovery" logs.
Always Lost 00
MGS Member

Post by Always Lost 00 »

Listing removed

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk