Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

2018 MGS Core Officers Nominations

What's New And Exciting in the MGS
Alzarius
MGS Director

2018 MGS Core Officers Nominations

Post by Alzarius »

It's that time of year to begin the selection process for MGS Core Officers for 2018. If you would like to run, please feel free to nominate yourself in this thread; if nominating someone else, please be sure to have their permission before declaring them here. Nominations will begin November 1. The complete list of nominees will be published December 1, along with the beginning of official voting.

The list of positions are:
  • President
  • Vice President
  • Secretary
  • Treasurer
  • Public Relations
Below are the duties of each position as defined in the MGS bylaws.
ARTICLE XI:

Section 2. PRESIDENT
The President will be the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of this Society in charge of all of its activities and business. All other officers and staff shall report to the President or his or her delegate. The President shall be entitled to attend any meeting of the Board or of any committee. The President shall report annually to the Board on the current state of this Society and plans for the future. The President shall submit to the Board the annual budget and annual business plan of this Society for the next fiscal year at least 30 days prior to the commencement of the fiscal year. The President will be empowered to call special meetings of the Board as set forth herein, and shall discharge all other duties as may be required by these Bylaws and from time to time may be assigned by the Board.

Section 3. VICE-PRESIDENT
The Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President in the absence of the President and make arrangements for scheduling meeting dates and locations.
The Vice-President will also supervise all Committees.

Section 4. SECRETARY
The Secretary shall keep or cause to be kept the minutes of the Board in one or more books provided for that purpose, will see that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of these Bylaws or as required by law, and in general perform all duties as from time to time may be prescribed by the President or the Board.

Section 5. TREASURER
The Treasurer shall have charge and custody of all the funds of this Society and shall keep or cause to be kept, in books belonging to this Society, full and accurate amounts of all receipts and disbursements, and shall deposit all money and other valuable effects in the name of this Society in such depositories as may be designated for that purpose by the Board. The Treasurer shall disburse the funds of this Society as may be ordered by the Board or the President and, whenever requested by them, shall deliver to the Board and the President an account of all his or her transactions as Treasurer and of the financial condition of this Society. The Treasurer shall be responsible for this Society’s financial planning and forecasting and shall assist the President in the preparation of this Society’s annual budget. The Treasurer shall coordinate and oversee this Society’s funding, including any audits or other reviews of this Society. The Treasurer shall be responsible for all other matters relating to the financial operation of this Society.

Section 6. PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
The Public Relations Officer shall endeavor to present the advantages of being a member of the MGS in association with Geocaching, as a healthy and enjoyable hobby/sport in general, utilizing all media and/or means at his disposal.
He may also coordinate games for events and be the official “Welcome Wagon” on the web site. This entails trying to keep an active participation of the website by encouraging members to post articles and forum remarks in the various threads. Work with other organizations to increase the awareness of the MGS inside of the hobby and work with organizations outside of the hobby who may acquire an interest in the relationship to Geocaching through the MGS.
He shall also inquire of the membership for potential participation in media interviews and assist the other officers in awards and ceremonies.
The Public Relations Officer or his designated representative(s) must be available to spend a great majority of events at the registration table as well as help the other officers in any presentations or themes for events.
Serving as one of the Core Officers is an excellent way of giving back to the Maryland geocaching community.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Re: 2018 MGS Core Officers Nominations

Post by Alzarius »

I hereby formally announce my intent to step down as MGS President at the end of the 2017 term; I will not be running for any office in 2018. These past two years have been exciting times for Maryland geocaching, and it has been a thrill to be part of that excitement. I extend my heartfelt thanks to my fellow Core Officers for helping make this a great year for the MGS, and my gratitude is offered to the MGS Board of Directors and all other former MGS Officers on whom I relied for advice and support. It has been an honor and a privilege to serve the greatest geocaching organization in the land.

I heartily encourage everyone to consider taking an active role in the future of the MGS by running for office. Serving as an MGS Officer is an excellent way of giving back to the Maryland geocaching community. We need you!
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer
It’s my birthday

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

Adric,
I, for one, am sorry to see that you're stepping down. You have been an outstanding representative to the MGS, and your presence (in office) will be missed very much. You leave very deep shoes to fill.
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

After much thought, I will relinquish my duties as MGS Secretary on December 31st and will not run for another MGS Officer role. I love the MGS and the people that support it, but I need to step away from being on the Core and focus on some new things in my life.

I can not tell you enough about how much the MGS means to me, and am truly honored to have served on the Core and Board for the past 4 years. I am proud of the things I have seen the MGS do over these years, and have visions of what it can continue to do. From being the largest GeoWoodstock ever to being a driving force for physical caches in National Parks across the US, Maryland Geocaching has been one of the top organizations in the world.

I encourage people to volunteer for the Core. It is very rewarding and gives you a true perspective of how much the things we do can impact people's view of caching.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

I also will not be running for an office for 2018. I am not opposed to running in the future but right now I need to focus on some personal issues. I will still help at events in the future.

Please step up and help the MGS continue to be the best run geocaching organization.
jercade
Former MGS Officer

Post by jercade »

I would like to nominate myself for MGS Secretary I have been thinking about this for sometime now and have decided this would be a great way to help the MGS.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

I second the nomination of Jercad10 for the position of Secretary
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer
It’s my birthday

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

If, and only if, humphr1d (Denise) wishes to step down as the MSG Public Relations Officer, I would like to be considered for that position. I have a basic knowledge of Web Site design, and although I live "up north" in Harford County, I believe I can adequately represent the MSG across our state. Hopefully, I can encourage the growth of GeoCaching where it is not currently flourishing.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

I Second the nomination of FatBaldOldMan for the position of Public Relations Officer.
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer
It’s my birthday

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

Bocco wrote:I Second the nomination of FatBaldOldMan for the position of Public Relations Officer.
Thank you Bocco, but I have to repeat, if and only if, humphr1d (Denise) wants to step down. I do not wish to displace anyone who is enjoying the work that they're doing. :!:
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

On another MGS Forum Thread, it was announced that Denise has stepped down as PR Officer due to an injury, so the PR Officer position is open.
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer
It’s my birthday

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

deepdish23 wrote:On another MGS Forum Thread, it was announced that Denise has stepped down as PR Officer due to an injury, so the PR Officer position is open.
Thank you deepdish23. So I guess I'm up for the position unless somebody else wants it. Which would be fine with me. I look forward to the final results next month.
BTW - I'm a proud collector of your GeoWoodstock XIII PathTag. Do you intend to attend GeoWoodstock 2018 in Ohio? I'm looking for some traveling companions.
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

Post by humphr1d »

Unfortunately I had to tender my resignation for the last two months of my term as the Public Relations Officer. I had a bicycle accident several weeks ago that resulted in unexpected medical complications. At this time I need to focus on my recovery and preparing to go back to work. Although I stepped down, I plan on continuing to support MGS.

Although I will not stay on as an MGS Officer next year, I highly encourage folks to consider running for an MGS Officer position. This is your chance to support one of the oldest geocaching clubs in the U.S. In addition to Cache Across Maryland (CAM) and the various social events MGS hosts, MGS supports the community in numerous ways. For example, MGS provides education and support to scout troops, recreation departments, civic groups, etc. on what geocaching is and how to play the game. Additionally, MGS hosts an annual CITO in order to give back to the community and help the environment.

We all benefit from MGS in many ways. Please consider running for one of the Officer positions next year. If you are unable to make that sort of time commitment, then I highly encourage you to consider making a monetary donation to MGS. MGS is a nonprofit entity that relies solely on donations and the funds raised during the summer silent auction. The funds raised by MGS goes toward funding this website, cost of CAM coins, and numerous other expenses incurred to host MGS social events.

I look forward to supporting next year's leadership and I want to thank everyone who supported MGS this year.
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

I would like to nominate Hunterkat for the position of secretary. Kathy is an active and dedicated cacher, and a long standing member of the MGS. She has been hosting a monthly event for puzzle cache aficionados in Frederick for some time now, and if you have ever observed her approach to solving a puzzle, or seen her notebook of the puzzles she is currently working, you will know that she is extremely organized, methodical, and pragmatic. All of these qualities lend themselves to the MGS secretary role. Kat can be forceful when needed, but this is always tempered by an innate gregarious nature and diplomatic approach. Hunterkat would make a fine officer, and an is already excellent representative of the values of the MGS. Truly, she would make a fine officer in any role.
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

I heartily second the nomination of HunterKat for Secretary of the MGS!
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Post by hunterKat »

I accept the nomination for secretary. Thanks!
Difficult paths often lead to beautiful places.
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

I would like to nominate my good friend CodyHollowFarm for Vice President of the MGS.
Bohicarico
MGS Member

Post by Bohicarico »

I second the nomination of her excellency CodyHollowFarm as Vice President of this outstanding organization.
GnomeGCer
CodyHollowFarm
MGS Officer

Post by CodyHollowFarm »

It'd be an honor to give back more to our great organization.
Stacy
Always caching, always searching....
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Post by lpyankeefan »

I also will not be running for office in the coming year. I will however be working with the incoming officers on ongoing projects.

As others have noted I WILL be helping out with anything that I can.
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai