Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2017 Geocoin Replacement

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
Alzarius
MGS Director

CAM 2017 Geocoin Replacement

Post by Alzarius »

CAM 2017 GEOCOIN REPLACEMENT

Many of you will have noticed quality issues with your CAM geocoins. We are aware of these issues and have been coordinating efforts with Cache Advance to resolve them. We apologise for the continued frustration and thank you for your patience as we work to make this right.

Here's a note from Cache Advance:
Cache Advance wrote:Cache Advance stands behind our product, and if you find what you are holding in your hand unacceptable, we will have it remade for you at no cost. We will require information to do so which can be provided by going to this site: https://goo.gl/forms/8xT0qmG6YIzDJQPP2. The deadline to provide this information is January 15, 2018.
Here's a shortened URL for the form in case you need to fat-thumb it: goo.gl/J5rhva

The online Replacement Form will ask you to enter your first and last name, caching name, e-mail and shipping addresses, coin type, and the tracking number from the coin. You do NOT have to return your defective coin in order to have it replaced. Your replacement coin will bear the same tracking code as your defective one, so you can go ahead and activate it if you like. By submitting the form, you agree to destroy the defective coin upon receipt of the replacement. Under no circumstances should you keep the defective coin or accidentally release it into the wild as a proxy because no one would ever know and your conscience would weigh heavily upon you. Again, the deadline to submit the Replacement Form is January 15, 2018.

Before submitting your replacement request, it would be a good idea to test the code to make sure you've read the alphanums correctly. You can do this by entering your code into https://www.geocaching.com/track/  (You should get the "Congratulations on your Trackable purchase!" page if it's correct and the "No results were found for your search" page if it's not.)

There were three coin types produced this year. The Replacement Form includes images of each coin type to help you determine which is which.

• Standard Edition (SE) Black Nickel
    These were the coins earned by completing CAM and attending the picnic. They were also available for purchase to those who couldn't attend the picnic or who desired an extra.

• Limited Edition (LE) Antique Bronze
    These coins were available for purchase only. They were struck in bronze with an antique finish and featured glow enamel on the front side.

• Extra-Limited Edition (XLE) Antique Silver
    These coins were not available for purchase. They were awarded to the CAM hiders in appreciation for their invaluable contribution to CAM 2017. (Cache Advance has a list of these codes, so don't bother trying to pull a fast one.)
You may be wondering how to know whether your coin is defective. If your coin looks great to you and you're happy with it, it's probably fine. If something catches your eye as wrong, then there's probably something wrong. I will follow up with a post of example photos for comparison.

Note to CAM hiders:
Every single XLE coin was enamelled incorrectly. They're all missing the black background on the front side. (Note that the photo you will see on the Replacement Form depicts test samples which contained a few errors (the cache container bottoms and the triangle in the Wherigo icon should be white, not black). Those errors were corrected, so the coin you received has the containers and Wherigo icon colored correctly.)
Alzarius
MGS Director

Re: CAM 2017 Geocoin Replacement

Post by Alzarius »

Just a friendly reminder that the final day to submit the form for 2017 CAM coin replacements is
Monday, January 15, 2018

Here's a link to the Replacement Form.

Check here for a list of upcoming pickup events.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

If the goo.gl link isn't working for you, try this direct link instead.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

Emails have been sent to everyone who either earned a coin, purchased one or was a cache hider. If you have not received an email, it may also be a message through gc.com.

If you have any questions about not getting an email or you didn't get one and you feel that you should have, please email Cindy Shafer at tazscouter@gmail.com. I will be handling this piece of business until resolved.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

In case you didn't see the email, Cache Advance/Compass Creek Designs recently sent out this update about the CAM 2017 Geocoin Replacement:

Hello Everyone,

One of our customers reached out yesterday asking for an update on progress. It served as a good reminder to get this update out to all of you.

As explained in the last email we needed to get through Chinese New Year vacation and we have. The factory is now back to work and they provided me with a status update of production arranged. This means the remake is on their schedule. While I do not have a hard and fast date, based on experience the production will begin shortly and keep us on track for the early April delivery.

Thank you once again and happy caching!

Sincerely,

J.D. and Lisa
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2017 Geocoin Replacement - the check is in the mail

Post by littleblkdog »

For those of you who requested a replacement CAM 2017 coin as a result of manufacturing defects:

I received an update on the 2017 coins overnight and I have been told the 2017 CAM coins have been shipped from the factory and they are enroute to the coin vendor, Cache Advance. Once Cache Advance receives the coins and performs a quality check, they should be in the mail to you. I am hesitant to provide a delivery date but I would expect something in the next 2-3 weeks.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Update to the 2017 CAM coins:

As I understand it, replacement remakes have been mailed to everybody who requested them and they should have been received by now. There are two issues I am aware of that are being dealt with to get those geocachers good coins (or the best we can).

I have several coins from people who have not picked them up and therefore likely did not request a replacement. Of note some of those people attended the 2018 Picnic and did not pickup their coin. As part of the distribution of the 2018 Coins, I will be mailing the 2017 coins to people as well. So if you completed 2018 and don't have your 2017 coin, you can expect it in the mail with your 2018 coin. Of course, if you didn't complete 2018 we will still mail your 2017 and I will reach out to those geocachers separately to get your address. Don't worry, I will track you down.