Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Eastport

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Eastport

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2018: Eastport logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 5th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
NetworkCacher
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Eastport

Post by NetworkCacher »

The cartridge played out well but there was a large private event occurring at the final location. The governor of MD was in attendance and security was very strict. There was absolutely no safe way to retrieve the container and code. I'll have to return later to make this one official but at least I finished out the cartridge. Just a sad fact of timing today.
Ken

snowsox1023
MGS Member

Post by snowsox1023 »

Out on the opening day of CAM with DeathwishDave and Flamingo_girl.We made easy work of this one. We got to the cache before it got too crazy but got in protest traffic leaving the area. TFTC!
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

TFTC! Made this the 3rd CAM cache of the day. We got there just as the festivities we're getting underway. We were able to make the find without any real difficulty. We had lots of difficulty getting out of the area as many roads we're closed by the police for the protest March in the area.
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

Well this one added an hour to our lives that we'll never get back. Not that the cache was the issue (it was actually really cool). It was the closing of the road that we had to take due to protesters. We did have a nice chat about our feelings about the protest and gun control and such. Thankfully, we were all of like mind and I didn't have to kick anyone out of my car.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
mrbee&willowtree
MGS Member

Post by mrbee&willowtree »

Find #5 of CAM 2018.
Found with: Profbrad, 74vwBusFamily, and Superchucklez

What an epic 36 hours of geocaching and road tripping! We started out by driving from Altoona, PA to Salisbury, MD on March 23 and stayed overnight to be able to attend the kickoff event the next morning. After meeting with others and getting our .gpx files, we began our journey from SE to NW. All in all, we managed to get 7 CAM caches throughout the day. In between, we found some virtuals, a webcam, and a few other high-favorited caches in parts of DE and MD.

It looks like we timed this one perfectly, as the event near the final was over by the time we got there. We had to do a lot of walking for this wherigo, but it was an excellent tour! We had to do some searching at GZ, but fortunately we were able to find the container. Phew!

Thanks for a fun wherigo!
soccertoa
Former MGS Officer

Post by soccertoa »

March 24
After a very long first day of CAM with MDSearcher and GVT1985 we decided at the last minute to grab this one on our way back to Columbia from the Eastern shore since we were going right by it. The Wherigo worked well for us and we easily answered all the questions and didn't have any problems completing it. It was a very nice walk around Eastport and we enjoyed the neighborhood and the pretty houses. The only bad part was walking by Ruth Chris and smelling all those delicious steaks when we were very hungry since we missed dinner. This was a very well done Wherigo and I really did enjoy my tour of Eastport.
Superchucklez
MGS Member

Post by Superchucklez »

One of the many stops that the JAGA crew made (Profbread, MrBee, 74vw, and i).... The CAM '18 series was the goal with a few webcams, virtuals, lighthouses, and various cache types along the way.... Made the find while meeting various cachers at each cache....

i've been to a couple fall picnics but never been to a CAM series kickoff party. I heard a lot of hype from profbread n the V W bus from their previous trips....

i never looked into these cuz i never have been able to get around to these... even with a bad knee these were fun this CAM year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 25th at 7:15 PM, CAM #3

Our plan for today was to get this one CAM cache on the way home from Ocean City. When we left OC the wind was blowing 20mph or more and quite chilly. I remarked as we got out of the geovehicle that the weather was much nicer here in Eastport; cool, sunny and thankfully no wind. Then it started to rain. :?
Thankfully it didn't rain much, just a bit of an off and on sprinkle. As we arrived at the first stage we were pleasantly surprised to run into our friend TheUnstealthy Monkey from back home. We joined her and her family for the walk around Eastport. Always nice to have an extra set of eyes and the company as well.
Despite the previous day's issues we ran into nary a soul at the final stage and truly enjoyed the history lesson along the way. Everyone signed the log and we left a few items in the cache. Thanks to the CO for putting together this nice Wherigo... unlike some other Wherigos, this one was smooth as silk. TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

March 27, 2018
After starting CAM with an overnight run on the first and second days, we took a break and then went after this one today. It took some driving around to find an on street parking space, which turned out to be pretty close to the center of the geotour.
It was generally overcast with a slight breeze and temperature in the high 40s. We made the short walk to stage one and as we were gathering the info, we heard some one calling out to us and it was Up & Down! We teamed up to do this one and a few others in the area.
Up & Down had a little trouble getting the cartridge and while waiting we found the nearby older cache. Up & Down finally got the cartridge to work and we had a great time exploring the rest of the points spots on this cache. Afterwards we got some other caches and then had lunch before heading home.
TFTC.
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

Talk about frustration and a lot of cursing. I have never done a wherigo on my own, and when I've been with others, it would always take time for things to fall into place.

Last night, before going to bed, I finally did a lot of research on wherigo. In the FAQ section on the wherigo webpage, I read about a man needing help, and he was basically telling people to describe to him on how to do it, like you was talking to your grandmother. Sounds like me. One response was what I was looking for. SHORT AND SIMPLE. That person is my hero.

Lucked out and was able to park 10 feet from GZ. Time to see if this thing works. Got to the first sign, and BINGO, I was in business. Item two, done. Easy peasy. Saved it, although I have no idea what that meant or what to do with it. Made the walk to the next stage, nothing popped up on my phone. Found the sign, but the phone did nothing.

Walked in circles waiting for the the phone to do its magic, but still nothing. Tried bringing up what I saved, nothing. Cursed, cursed and cursed some more. Walked back to the beginning and started all over.

Item 1 and 2 went smoothly again, started my hike to item 3, and this time it worked. Got the okay to proceed for a nice long walk. Knew where I had to go, but my distance was frozen. It stayed at 250 m the whole way. Once I got to the end, it still showed me 250 m away. Phone did nothing. Now I was crying and cursing. After waiting 10 minutes, I walked all the way back to the car, cursing with each step I took.

Got back to the car, took it out on Mrs. Georick402, LOL, went back to the first sign and started over AGAIN. Once again, first two steps worked perfect. Walked to the geomobile, and told my wife we were driving this time, and if it didn't work, I was leaving.

Every step of the way worked perfect this time. Being a Sunday morning, no traffic, I was able to get the geomobile close enough to each step to get the info needed. You should have seen how happy I was when I completed that last stage, got the congratulations, and the final location.

Thanks for the cache, headache and frustration. But, Ii finally managed to do a wherigo on my own. Now to solve them mystery caches on my own, then ProgKing can have GeoAPPs
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

3/31/2018: The first Whereigo I did on my own and my first 2018 CAM cache. I got a new phone last Fall so I now have a means of doing them. I found a parking spot along Fourth St and walked the trek. It was a nice day and an unexpected final location. Mr. TRO will enjoy it so I am positive we will be back.
KlawPaws
MGS Member

Post by KlawPaws »

How do you get to the Cassette? I tried in Wherigo and searching turned up nothing. Also clicked on the link in the acrobat file but it said link wasn't valid. Can anyone can send me the link?

Penharlow@ail.com
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

We took advantage of the kids’ day off school to tackle the southern Maryland leg of CAM 2018. This was our first stop on the way down to Point Lookout. I enjoyed last year’s WiG in Sykesville quite a bit, and was looking forward to tackling this one. With 5 of us doing this today, I wanted to have a couple of devices going, so I loaded the cartridge onto my iPhone 8 and Garmin Oregon 450T. It played perfectly on both. It was chilly and breezy in Annapolis, so we were happy that the answers were all fairly easy to find, which kept us moving along. My wife had been to this part of Annapolis before, but this was my first visit. Lots of interesting things to see here. After completing the cartridge, we found the cache with no trouble, and were first to sign the log today. Great WiG and great hide. TNLNSL. TFTC!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

The cartridge can be found here:

http://www.wherigo.com/cartridge/detail ... 437303a09f

KlawPaws wrote:How do you get to the Cassette? I tried in Wherigo and searching turned up nothing. Also clicked on the link in the acrobat file but it said link wasn't valid. Can anyone can send me the link?

Penharlow@ail.com
Awesnap
MGS Member

5.Apr.2018 - CAM 2018: Eastport

Post by Awesnap »

ABOUT OUR DAY:
Cache Clown 76 and I departed Prince William County at 0315 to head east on an epic 3 CAM cache run throughout the Delmarva Peninsula. I was a bit leery about waking up at 2:30 am to go caching, but I understood the logic. When we reached our first target this morning the sun had just popped up making it easy to start our geocache hunting. Best part was we both made it home before 5pm and were able to get our kids to their after school activities.

CACHE SPECIFIC LOG:
I couldn't get the first zone to click over. Cache clown hung back and talked to Diamondback7 while I restarted my phone, walked in circles, entered and left the zone. Nothing. Finally CC76 said I have it working on my phone let's go. So we did. After that it was easy peasy to each stage and then to the final. I am now 9 CAM caches down, 1 to go.

I enjoyed the walk through the neighborhood. Sadly we ran out of time to do anything else,even eat lunch. CC76 felt bad so he offered up a Doritos Salsa Verde bag that he had in his bag. That worked. Now on to fight DC traffic on the way home.

TFTC
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

CAM 2018 find #5 - 4/7/2018.

I was trying to figure out if I wanted to go to the Eastern Shore today for the CAM 2018 caches out there, but I wasn't sure about the weather forecast. I didn't want to be out there if snow/slush was going to be an issue; mainly because of the long drive.

Then I saw new cache in Baltimore. I also noticed that no one was watching it, which is kind of unusual. Usually new caches get watched from the start. That gave me confidence to seek it as an FTF attempt and stay on this side of the Bay Bridge and attempt CAM 2018-Eastport instead. By doing so I also was able to drop off 9 trackables at the BWI Travel Bug Hotel and get the points for the Planetary Pursuit before it ends tomorrow. Plus I also scored a find on a GPSgames.org GeoVexilla flag: the Dominican Republic near the TB Hotel.

This was a very well done Wherigo cache. I used a Garmin Oregon 400 and it worked flawlessly. I had visited many of these areas in the past, but didn't really realize that the water was so close all around. Thanks for the tour. Once I got to the final GZ, there were a couple of children playing in the area. I asked if they were geocachers, but they said no. Cache is in great shape. I traded my personal pathtag for one in the cache. I'm giving this one a favorite point. TFTWC.
Last edited by sfcchaz on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

4/17/18 CAM Cache #6
Even though it was a chilly day out, we really enjoyed this geocache! We (Pegasusmoon, Pyro1970 and I ) met BethanyinWonderland and Cooley1103 at the start and made the walk around town. This whereigo didn't want to work for me at first, but I guess the mojo of our friends made it suddenly start working. This was such an nicely done wherigo that was informative and fun. The directions were easy to follow too! Thanks for the fun! It's definitely getting a favorite point when it publishes!
sharkb8007
MGS Member

Post by sharkb8007 »

After spending the earlier part of the day in Montgomery County, we booked it across central MD to get to Eastport. This was our first Where-I-Go and it was pretty easy, though there was plenty of walking ahead of us after this long day. We have friends who live in Eastport, but somehow after completing this we feel like we might be better educated on it's history than them. It was a cold chilly and somewhat snowy evening for April, with the delicious smells from Ruth's Chris wafting over the neighborhood the only thing that might have stood in our way of completing the cache. Made the find right about dusk, finally being free to go grab some dinner. TFTC it was fun! (Log signed as ENB608 :smt049 )
All caches signed as EnB608 :smt049
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

SATURDAY, APRIL 7
CAM CACHE CONUNDRUM: Why is it, that the night before you want to go caching, when you check NWS, The Weather Channel, Accuweather and Wunderground, they all have the same forecast (which turns out to be wrong), OR, they appear to be forecasting the weather for four different planets! We originally planned to get Eastport and Point Lookout today, but last night the forecast for Point Lookout was so yucky that we cancelled. Then this morning we decided not to waste another Saturday and crossed the Bay hoping to get Eastport, Glen Echo and Lake Needwood in spite of the forecast of rain or snow, neither of which materialized. We got home at 8:18 tonight after logging those three CAM caches, six bonus caches and nine others, walking 6.5 miles and driving 339.
After having problems last year at Sykesville, when my tablet refused to work and my phone kept locking up, I've been driving friends nuts asking questions. I had the tablet seemingly working and really thought I could use it this year instead of squinting at the phone through trifocals. We literally parked in the parking place closest to the start and thought that was a harbinger of success, and then I pressed "Start" . . . and saw, "No Satellites!", so I tried again with the same result. At that point I turned off the tablet and fired up the phone. We successfully followed the fine print to the final, saw the "Congratulations!", screenprinted the Lock Code, and then went for the CAM cache. Then we walked to another cache on our way to the car.
At home tonight, looking at my tablet, rechecking the "Location" settings, I noticed: "Mode - Battery saving." Battery saving? Clicking on it revealed three options: "High Accuracy - use GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or cellular signal to determine location", "Battery saving - Use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or cellular signal to determine location", and "GPS only" In "Battery saving," my tablet HAD worked at home . . . on my Wi-Fi, but at Annapolis, without a built in cellphone, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, it couldn't locate. Oops! I selected "GPS only" and it immediately locked up. I'm ready for next year! Sigh . . .
Thanks to MGS and the Hider/Creator for an interesting tour of Eastport! Five logged, six to go!