Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2007 - Gateway to the West

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
ccs79
MGS Member

Post by ccs79 »

This was our 2nd CAM find today. We found it in the afternoon. It was such a great view from up top there. Took the long way up and the short way down. TNLN
Phideo
MGS Member

Post by Phideo »

Well wouldn't ya know it, we happen to pick a day when the gate was closed. Man, that road just keeps going and going. We were blessed to meet up with Julia51 would accompanied us on hour hike. We also managed to knock off the 2 multi's close by, so all in all a nice start to the day.
Bounty Hunter - Cache only!
WWCD
MGS Member

Post by WWCD »

2nd of 4 CAM caches for us today; darn, the gate was closed so parked at the bottom and began the long hike up; half way there decided to bushwack straight up the hill to the cache. Made for a shorter; but much more strenuous way to get to ground zero. Took the road on the way down. Beautiful views from up there.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

It was a huge suprise to see all the Cumberland houses and development on one side of the mountain, and just river, road and mountains on the other. Western Maryland is an amazing place. The terrain is rugged, but spectacular, and the views take your breath away.
Snurt
MGS Director

Post by Snurt »

In the company of julia, Phideo, vyper4, Lp & The_Incredibles, Suecat and vyper4, we found the gate closed. However, the climb on a gray, windy and cold day (before the big storm) was not noticed in the fun and fellowship of group caching. There was no end to joking, joshing and friendly wheedling.

My third time on this mountain, and as noted, the view in any weather (unless fogged-in) never fails to amaze, inspire and take breath. The history associated with this place is amazing - be it the CAM Cache (historic gateway to the west during frontier America), 'Remeber When' (historic ruins of a resort community with a view) or 'Le Saut de More Re-Visited (tragic tale of indian maiden and pioneer who jumped from the lover's leap). All heady and interesting stuff.

Following the descent, we were delighted to meet several of the JuJuBees, talked shop and cinnamon buns-to-be-at-the-CAM-Picnic. Yum!

Wills Mountain and the caches hidden thereon is a class act. Thank You.
Anne_C
MGS Member

Post by Anne_C »

Found on Saturday. I ignored the PAVED ROAD and hiked straight up! Hahahaha! Stupid. Anyway, my burning quads soon recovered when I reached the top and looked out...WOW! On my way out I saw two people approaching and one had a GPS in her hand...CACHERS! (you have to understand that was a first for me). I just said hi and went about my merry way. Started walking down the road this time and got really bored with it so I skipped out and went straight down! Great leg workout! Awesome view! #4 for me!

--Anne_C
Hkids4
MGS Member

#9 - Gateway to the West

Post by Hkids4 »

04/21/07 – Day #3 of the CAM run started out in the afternoon because the lawn would no longer wait! Gr8Caches1 got us straight to the gate, where we promptly backed back down the hill to a parking spot. Sure wish we could have hit this one on a weekday! Met up with CrunchyGranola on the way up the hill. Thought twice about going off road, but decided to stay on the path. The view was spectacular, but there was a lot of tight hand-holding of the youngest kids – but we had to let them see the view. Made the find, signed the log, and started back down the hill. Did stage 1 of a multi on the way. Whew! By the time we were back in the car, our legs were ready for some rest…..that was some trek!!! 9 down, 1 to go. Gonna catch that one tomorrow...TFTC!!
SeeKPeeKRs
MGS Member

Post by SeeKPeeKRs »

This was the 3rd out of 5 CAM caches on Opening Day (03/31). Mrs. SeeKPeeKRs joined with Redlights, CoupleoCachers, VinceHayter and Moselth for a fantastic day of caching. The day started pretty early for some us (5 a.m.) as the drive from Southern MD to Western MD is a pretty long one. At each of our previous CAM caches, we asked, "How can this get any better?" Well, each stop proved that it could get better .... the views from atop the mountain here were spectacular! It took your breath away (luckily we were able to drive most of the way up the mountain toward the cache and didn't have to make the very, very steep, breath-taking climb many cachers had to take). It was really neat meeting Hurricane61 and EagleBlazer out CAMing too.
Just do it!
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

21 April - Wow what a view! We took the climbers trail up and I'm glad we did. We stopped for about 5 or 10 min to look and take pictures. There was another couple we walked part way up with and they opted to take the road. We met them at the cache, we arrived in time to find the cache and as we were about to grab it, we saw them coming so we walked away to let them find it.
another fantastic CAM cache.
ROOKIE49
MGS Member

Gateway to the West

Post by ROOKIE49 »

4-21 2nd cache today. parked as instructed but some others parked near the gate. I tried to go off road...what a mistake. Finally, after 9 CAM caches, I ran into Familygeeks on the way down. My first encounter with other cacher during the CAM. Very nice people!
I found the cache with no problems and took some great pics. I wish I had taken one from down below when I said to my wife..I think I have to go up there!!! OK its 3pm Ive been up since 9pm Friday so into town to the Comfort Inn in LeVale. great place by the way!!
Tomorrow number 10!! :P
SKI_THE_SUMMIT
MGS Member

Post by SKI_THE_SUMMIT »

Our final one. Quite a walk. When we hiked up at 4:30, the gate was open, but when we returned it was locked. Good thing we didn't take the car up the hill. Did enjoy the view. Since we have done 299 caches, we are heading into Cumberland to do at least one more so we will have 300 completed.
SAM
MGS Member

Post by SAM »

I rolled out at 0430 this morning and headed west, it was to dark yet for the Cumberland cache, so I continued on to Herrington Manor. On my way back I got off the highway and snaked my way to the parking coord's. I billygoated it to the cache, and what a surprise. This is an awesome spot. Thanks for bringing me here. I could pitch a tent and hang out for a week...
Now on my way back back home :-D !
S A M 8)
DudleyGrunt
MGS Member

Post by DudleyGrunt »

#182 - CAM 8. Fantastic location. Ran into UFF298 for the third time while out caching. All different days and locations. Prior to CAM, he was the only other cacher, I'd ever run into while on the hunt and I'd done so twice. Something is going on.

Was with JuniorNimrod for this, his second CAM. We enjoyed the walk up and the great views. To bad it was such a gray day. I'm a nervous dad, though. My greatest fear is letting him fall off a cliff and having to explain it to my wife afterward. Seriously, my heart definitely beat faster when we were near the edge trying to get the best view. Did get to see a freight train coming through the narrows. After we got back to the car, we drove down and around and got the view from below. I'm glad I didn't do that first. JN wouldn't have even gotten as close to the edge as I let him get.

Neat place, TFTC.
MeatballMatt
MGS Member

Post by MeatballMatt »

Finished CAM 2007 in Cumberland! Whoo-hoo!

:groupwave

I'll post the picture of the Pennsylvania license plate "TNLNSL" later tonight. We didn't come across anybody on the trails. Matt really wanted to take the hard way up, so up we went.

We celebrated by having lunch and a cone of the flavor of the day (mint chocolate chip) at Queen City Creamery. I think, just maybe, that it's been recommended once or twice? Thanks for the tip! Delicious!

See everyone at the picnic!
Terri
MGS Member

Post by Terri »

Third CAM cache for the day. While I HATED the climb to the top, I have to thank you for forcing me to do it. The views were well worth the pain. I sure wish my camera battery hadn't died! I sure as heck ain't doing that climb again.

terri and billy
DaisyChain
Former MGS Officer

Post by DaisyChain »

MeatballMatt wrote: We celebrated by having lunch and a cone of the flavor of the day (mint chocolate chip) at Queen City Creamery. I think, just maybe, that it's been recommended once or twice? Thanks for the tip! Delicious!
I nominate you for smartest CAMers! :wink:
DaisyChain

Character is what you know you are, not what others think you have.
geotrekkin
MGS Member

Eight Down, Two to Go

Post by geotrekkin »

After a nice drive up from Southern Maryland, we arrived ready to climb, however the only one getting a work out today was the car. We found a nice spot at a trail just around the corner from the factory's red gate. We walked in and made the find. The view was great! On to the last cache... (We also saw the Oscar Meyer Weiner car pulled over by the cops on the interstate. The photo would've won the contest for sure.
Snurt
MGS Director

Post by Snurt »

DaisyChain wrote:
MeatballMatt wrote: We celebrated by having lunch and a cone of the flavor of the day (mint chocolate chip) at Queen City Creamery. I think, just maybe, that it's been recommended once or twice? Thanks for the tip! Delicious!
Ah yes, the Queen City Creamery. Often recommended, often visited, this is just one of many delights that can be enjoyed Caching Across Maryland. is it time I recall another, watching the sun rise over the frothy surf at Chincoteague, just before heading to Furnace Town. for a drumroll? And who can forget the crashing roaring Youghiogheny bullying its' way through Swallow Falls? who There was the splendor of eagles, nesting and soaring high above the tree tops down east. will provide There are warm memories of meeting first-time CAM-paigners at Susquehanna State Park. a huge drum roll? The sights and flavors of CAM, just the thought make that ole travelin' bone start to itch, cuz...

<b><i>I'm stuck here in Maryland with the CAM'in blues again</b></i>

...with regrets to Bob Dylan.
Simulatmore
Former MGS Officer

Post by Simulatmore »

Is this Dwight or Woody?
Someones been playing in the attic. :wink:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
EagleBlazer
Former MGS Officer

Post by EagleBlazer »

Snurt wrote:
DaisyChain wrote:
Ah yes, the Queen City Creamery. Often recommended, often visited, this is just one of many delights that can be enjoyed Caching Across Maryland. is it time I recall another, watching the sun rise over the frothy surf at Chincoteague, just before heading to Furnace Town. for a drumroll? And who can forget the crashing roaring Youghiogheny bullying its' way through Swallow Falls? who There was the splendor of eagles, nesting and soaring high above the tree tops down east. will provide There are warm memories of meeting first-time CAM-paigners at Susquehanna State Park. a huge drum roll? The sights and flavors of CAM, just the thought make that ole travelin' bone start to itch, cuz...

<b><i>I'm stuck here in Maryland with the CAM'in blues again</b></i>

...with regrets to Bob Dylan.

Sounds good to me. Just anounce it alreadyLookin foward to this years 2008
______EagleBlazer_____