Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

New to geocaching

General Chit-Chat.
irishrover007
MGS Member

New to geocaching

Post by irishrover007 »

I am new to geocaching and could use a mentor in the Towson area. I want to plant caches in Cromwell Valley Park. Please respond to bobfleming074@gmail.com or 410-321-8291 and leave a message.
Thanks
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Re: New to geocaching

Post by Lostsole68 »

Welcome to Geocaching. I would recommend getting a few finds under your belt before placing caches, this would give you some ideas/help in creating a good hide. There are quite a few caches in Cromwell currently and when I placed mine I had to work with SirCrab (the Maryland reviewer), Cromwell Park and Gunpowder park (depending on the location in the park) to make sure it met the rules of all three. I have place over 55 caches and would say I have learned something about caching almost every time I am out finding. I do tell people that everyone caches for a different reason and some hides that are not great in some minds are what others crave (ie. Lamppost or guardrail) so don't fell pressured to make the perfect hide.

You will need to read this for the rules of a hide - http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

and SirCrabs profile has good list of permission contacts - http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid ... 096c2600be

If you have any question feel free to msg me.

- Brian
Lostsole68
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

Hi irishlover

The best way to meet up with some local cachers is to come out to an event. Within the state, we have hundreds of members holding events regularly. Follow this link and you can see all upcoming events for the state:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=21

It would be great to see you at an event.
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

There are several geocaches in Cromwell Valley Park but the rangers there like to have them. They include them in regular interpretive programs. I don't think it would hurt to put a few more in there. Several are missing but I plan to replace them over the next several weeks as part of a project I'm doing with them (they asked me to).

But, I'll agree that I would suggest finding many caches before you attempt your first hide. I'd recommend 100 finds but I know it's hard to wait that long when you're new (I think I had about 75 when I hid my first).

Welcome to geocaching and MGS!
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.