Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

November 2015: How Bad Do You Want It

Special caches in Maryland!
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

November 2015: How Bad Do You Want It

Post by ksullivan »

This month's geocache was chosen for being a very memorable geocache that is not too far from the Geocaching Symposium (GC62CD6) event happening in November!

"How Bad Do You Want It"

GC Code: GC37CXX

Where it's located: Columbia, MD

Favorite Points: 62

Description: This is a traditional geocache, with a difficulty of 3.5 and terrain of 5.

View near the cache

From the geocache description: "This cache is a "big" twist on a classic hide. It is located at a local park. I know what you are thinking and don't worry you don't have to get wet to get this cache. Depending upon your physical condioning / agility you may need special equipment or another person to help you get it. I am no star athlete...a overweight union boilermaker and I placed this cache without either help or equipment. I would not recommend this as a lunch time cache. The cache is less that thirty feet off of a paved trail. This should be a fun change of pace compared to my other caches."

Selected finder logs:

quarnogypsy: We already found the nearby D5 to claim the last souvenir for this year's Geocaching Road Trip ’15, but decided to attempt this T5 while we were in the area. We quickly found GZ, and--after a brief flashlight search--hubby made the leap for more extensive searching...and the find. Less than a minute after he reemerged, a fellow geocacher (AltaPete) showed up also in search of the right cache for his souvenir. Since he was there solo, we hung around to make sure he could escape after his find. While waiting, a pair of local cops walked by the trail and asked about our activities. Thankfully, one of them knew about geocaching, so we didn’t have to talk our way out of the situation. Whew! TFTC!

shrinerr: I was in the area specifically seeking this cache and its companion in the park. I had an idea when I arrived what I would be getting into but once actually seeing it, it's not quite what I imagined. I did what needed to be done and made the find. I replaced the baggie and added a new section of log to the cache. I haven't encountered a cache like this before. It was fun. TFTC!

Gr8caches: When you approach an area knowing what you are getting into or at least thinking you know. You survey it. As I was approaching I was doing the survey thing and I kept thinking where is the tree I need. I don't see anything that is even do-able, but I continued to follow the GPS knowing it would lead me to something that might give me the answer to what I was seeking. Sure enough it did just that. At first I didn't want to believe it. Then I tried to measure it up, see the wife stayed in the car I had pleaded with her to come with me just in case I got in trouble. So I told myself put your big boy pants on. You can do this and sure enough I was up and down and up and down before I knew what was even happening. Yes I had to go up and down twice, don't ask but you will find out... Day 10 of what I hope to make a 100 day streak out of.
PatientRock
Former MGS Officer

Re: November 2015: How Bad Do You Want It

Post by PatientRock »

Just found this one. A really cool, unexpected hide!
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

Really fun cache. I think I did it with shrinerr, and then again with flamingo_girl, so that we could qualify for the final "Just Go Home" cache, which was fantastic. IMO, the D&T are somewhat over-rated on this cache but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

Oh my GOSH!!! I will NEVER forget the day that SeeKPeeKRs, ZippyFinn, and I went to get this cache! It had been on my "to do" list for awhile, and we had sooooooo much fun trying to FIND that li'l devil! Yes! THIS cache is highly recommended!!! :lol: Later on I brought Suedunkirkduo and Robinjoy back so they could find it too! GREAT FUN! :smt005
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I definitely remember this cache. It was a freezing day in January and also the day when I met Brainstrain for the first time and in the wild. Here is my log:

I did want this one pretty bad, especially after it was tied to another cache in a puzzle. Apparently Brainstrain wanted it pretty bad as well. My wife was on the phone as we approached and I knew almost immediately that there were only a few places it could be. I went for the one I wanted it to be first and found myself standing over Brainstrain. Maybe I was imagining things but it felt like he was trying to wish himself smaller to avoid detection. No luck with that. I think we agreed the hardest part today was the wind chill. A great hide in a great location! TFTC!

Unfortunately Brian is no longer with us. He was an excellent cacher and good friend who is still missed.
WVKiwi
Former MGS Officer

Post by WVKiwi »

This cache has been on my want-to-get-list for a couple years now. Seeing it featured makes me think a trip to get it might just have to happen soon. :)