Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2016: Are you excited yet?

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
LestISmiteThee
MGS Member

CAM 2016: Are you excited yet?

Post by LestISmiteThee »

Just wanted to say I can hardly contain my excitement to do CAM again this year! We had such an amazing time last year exploring the state, grabbing some great caches, hiking with our dog, and enjoying the Spring weather and scenery. I want to thank everyone who's making CAM 2016 possible! :D
Alzarius
MGS Director

Re: CAM 2016: Are you excited yet?

Post by Alzarius »

Not excited about CAM yet?
Maybe you should take a peek at the Teaser Map! :smt026
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

I agree. We've only missed one CAM since 2006 and it still feels like Christmas every March for me.
the teaser map is pure torture this year.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

Yes, CAM in my favorite part of caching. I look forward to it year round, and we have special winter clothes just for it.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

BTW, I love the idea for the spoiler map tease. It will build the suspence.
hostanut
MGS Member

Post by hostanut »

For those of us that like to plan for hotels and caches to get while in the vicinity of CAM caches.......only knowing 5 counties where CAMs will be.....throws a monkey wrench into any planning.

For the first time since I started doing CAM in 2009.....I'm NOT excited about CAM!!!!!!!
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

What we do on opening day is go after the CAM caches we can drive to. After the caches are published is when we plan the ones where we stay overnight.

Even in the few years we've been getting teaser maps the maps were not enough to allow us to make hotel reservations. Prior to 3 or 4 years ago there were no teaser maps, no one knew where the caches were hidden until the day they were available on the MGS site or via email.

The teaser maps help build anticipation but if the committee stopped giving them we'd all cope just like we used to do.
CacheNCarry45
Former MGS Officer

Post by CacheNCarry45 »

hostanut wrote:For those of us that like to plan for hotels and caches to get while in the vicinity of CAM caches.......only knowing 5 counties where CAMs will be.....throws a monkey wrench into any planning.

For the first time since I started doing CAM in 2009.....I'm NOT excited about CAM!!!!!!!

You should be excited! This teaser map will make sense once all is said and done. We want everyone to be excited. As with every year there may be a change for the better but you may not know why. Bare with us and I can assure your feelings will change on CAM day.

Remember, with CAM you should expect to travel anywhere in the state. That will never be clear until the secret is revealed.
hostanut
MGS Member

Post by hostanut »

I have historically done CAM (or at least part of it) with cachers that had limited weekends to complete CAM.

The teaser maps of previous years was enough info to allow us to make hotel reservations and make a tentative list of "special" caches to grab on our trips. Even though the provided data was vague, it was better than having no data (or incomplete data like this year).......we used that data fairly well to maximize the limited time we had to complete CAM.

Yes, we would cope if NO info was given out before kickoff......but I doubt than many would like to go back to that lack of info.

I just think the current teaser map plans are a step backwards.

I PREFER the teaser maps of previous years!!!
CacheNCarry45
Former MGS Officer

Post by CacheNCarry45 »

hostanut wrote:I have historically done CAM (or at least part of it) with cachers that had limited weekends to complete CAM.

The teaser maps of previous years was enough info to allow us to make hotel reservations and make a tentative list of "special" caches to grab on our trips. Even though the provided data was vague, it was better than having no data (or incomplete data like this year).......we used that data fairly well to maximize the limited time we had to complete CAM.

Yes, we would cope if NO info was given out before kickoff......but I doubt than many would like to go back to that lack of info.

I just think the current teaser map plans are a step backwards.

I PREFER the teaser maps of previous years!!!
Thank you for your response and that is part why they are that way. As I stated earlier it is something we chose to do. On CAM day you will understand and that is all I will say.

Do not be too quick to judge and I guarantee you will get more than enough caching plans completed as more information becomes available.
barbershop2010
MGS Member

Post by barbershop2010 »

I was excited and started planning for the cache release day. Then I looked at my calendar and got unexcited when I saw it was the day before Easter. Darn It!! There's no way I can get off work that day. One of the hazards of retail!!!!
Ninjas1088
MGS Member

Post by Ninjas1088 »

The Ninjas are very excited! It will be our first CAM! We ordered our first set of pathtags which should come in time for CAM! Downloaded Cachly and Geosphere since it's Dropbox friendly (still figuring these apps out). Have the teaser map bookmarked and love seeing what new County pops up. We won't be able to get on the CAM trails until mid-April. Looking forward to meeting everyone on the trails and at the picnic!
angeloak
MGS Member

Post by angeloak »

I've tried CAM several times, but never made it to the finish line/picnic. Hopefully this year will be different! I'm looking forward to the kickoff, but will be leaving the event immediately to head to work. Perhaps that strategy will pay off through the creation of geo-trails for me to follow as I bring up the rear of the caching crowd at the CAM locations! :)
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

For us, one of the ways we prepare for CAM is to go and get some caches that require a fair amount of walking.

In that spirit, Saturday, we went to a park in Mt. Airy to get a cache that's eluded us twice now. Naturally #2. The first time, we went the wrong way, in summer, and by the time we realized the error of our ways, we were too pooped to continue on.

On Saturday, we went the wrong way again, but we found a deer trail that short cutted us to the right trail, and we made it to GZ easily enough. Unfortunately, we still didn't find the cache, and in the process, I slipped and bounced on my rear in the mud. While only my pride was wounded, we were concerned that after the shock wore off, I might start hurting. Plus my pants were covered in yuck. So, we abandoned Naturally #2 for another day, and went home for me to change.

We still needed a cache for the souvenir, and so we headed for Littlestown, PA for lunch. They serve Broasted Chicken there, and it's simply our favorite way to eat chicken. We tried a couple of caches along the way, without success. :(

After lunch, we went home via Thurmont, and at the candy/liquor store, we snagged our cache. :)
It was located no where near where I thought in would be, but I managed to find it anyhow.
We also scored a Scotch Ale made in Scotland. :)

On the way past Frederick, we stopped off at the Dragon Distillery. A craft distillery out by the airport. They'd just finish a still run of experimental moonshine. We got a tour, which included a taste of their products (moonshine and vodka). The shot glasses were included in the tour price of $5.
I was pleasantly surprised that I liked their moonshine, because my prior experience was that moonshine = kerosene. This was a much smoother version with some botanicals mixed in for flavor.

All in all, a very adventureous day for us. I hope everyone else is getting their CAM legs ready.
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

I'm pretty stoked for CAM. I don't really see how the teaser map will make any difference, other than we don't get to see it all at once. I mean, in the past, we just had weird shapes around where the caches would be. Now, we still have weird shapes, that just happen to be the shapes of the counties of Maryland. Sorry it doesn't float your boat, hostanut. Let's hope when it's all said and done, that CAM will be a fine experience for you.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
Dradicus
MGS Member

Post by Dradicus »

Well I for one am looking forward to it because I am going to try it for the first time this year. There is much of the state I haven't seen yet so hopefully this will take me to some of those awesome places!
NJSquirrel
MGS Member

Post by NJSquirrel »

My first CAM was last year and it was tough being from NJ. To top it off I did about 80 other really old classics that really challenged my stamina.

This year I met up with a few new geocachers that I'd like to introduce to CAM, so I might give it another go. :dance: ROADTRIP! :dance:
Dradicus
MGS Member

Post by Dradicus »

I'm really excited now! I was able to manage taking off from work the Friday night before release day! My first Friday night off in six months! I work nights so I wanted to be able to get up in time to get started. This is cause for celebration in itself haha
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

This will be my second CAM, and I'm pretty excited. One reason I like it is because my family enjoys it, and they are not all that interested in caching otherwise, so it's a way to get them involved in my hobby for a few weeks. CAM is also a great way to make progress on the MD All Counties and MD-DE DeLorme Challenges, both of which I'm still slowly working on.

We'll be away on vacation the first week of CAM, but will be hitting the ground running once we get back (likely *on* the way back, actually). Can't wait!
TheLoneBaker
MGS Member

Post by TheLoneBaker »

I'm timing my return to Maryland to be able to do CAM again this year. I've enjoyed doing it the last few years so much that I simply had to do it again this year.