Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Found part of a multi-cache but need the start

General Chit-Chat.
no_nickname
MGS Member

Found part of a multi-cache but need the start

Post by no_nickname »

So out geocaching the other day and when I found one cache I found a clue for another cache. It was a stick (rectangle shape - about 6-8" long and each side was maybe an inch thick), camo color and had coordinates on it plus a clue for a code, I believe. I went to the coordinates listed (about 30 mins away) and found a similar stick with another code and more coordinates. Those coordinates are about an hour or more away still in Maryland. Does anyone have any clue what cache this is? I'd like to start at the beginning and follow the whole thing but I see no way to go backwards. Any help would be appreciated. I can provide more details if desired but I didn't want to give away anything about the cache to spoil it for others.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Re: Found part of a multi-cache but need the start

Post by Sue-Cat »

That actually sounds like the archived cache Go Army! https://coord.info/GC3J6T1

I started it but didn't finish it, partly (largely?) due to the silly amount of driving it requires.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

If the sticks you found were in Prince George's or Charles counties, than Sue is likely correct. Go Army was a wonderful cache (except for the extensive driving), but it is archived.
no_nickname
MGS Member

Post by no_nickname »

I found the sticks in St. Marys county. Were there GoArmy sticks there? Thanks for the info on the cache. Even if archived the not knowing was killing us!
Zepp914
MGS Member

Post by Zepp914 »

If that is the case, no_nickname can still log the cache as found. The next finder will hopefully clean up the geo-litter.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

Zepp914 wrote:If that is the case, no_nickname can still log the cache as found. The next finder will hopefully clean up the geo-litter.
No, the "finds" were only stages of the multi, not the cache.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

Zepp914 wrote:If that is the case, no_nickname can still log the cache as found. The next finder will hopefully clean up the geo-litter.
Whoa Nellie! NOOOO!

1) You are not the CO.

2) Finding Go Army involves solving many non-trivial puzzles, something like 30-50 physical stages, and driving to locations on the Eastern Shore and So MD multiple times. That's all I know having done part of it.

Finding a couple of stages does not qualify as a find on this cache.

3) No log was signed. If no-nickname had found the final and signed the log, then yes that would be counted as a find under groundspeak rules although the archived status may change that, not sure.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Zepp914
MGS Member

Post by Zepp914 »

Sue-Cat wrote:
Whoa Nellie! NOOOO!

1) You are not the CO.

2) Finding Go Army involves solving many non-trivial puzzles, something like 30-50 physical stages, and driving to locations on the Eastern Shore and So MD multiple times. That's all I know having done part of it.

Finding a couple of stages does not qualify as a find on this cache.

3) No log was signed. If no-nickname had found the final and signed the log, then yes that would be counted as a find under groundspeak rules although the archived status may change that, not sure.
Sorry I thought no_nickname found the ending and wanted to do the whole thing. If the cache was found (even if archived) you can still log it. In this case, the cache was not found.

Archived caches should be cleaned up. We shouldn't be leaving containers that are no longer part of the game out there.
mjb007
MGS Member

Post by mjb007 »

Zepp914 wrote: Archived caches should be cleaned up. We shouldn't be leaving containers that are no longer part of the game out there.
Many many moons ago on this site we were doing a cleanup effort (no rewards other than bragging rights, (the always desired LTF ))

I know I have a few caches that I've been lax about verifying were gone when I archived one of my caches with a number of DNFs.

Perhaps we should consider bring this back again.
Zepp914
MGS Member

Post by Zepp914 »

mjb007 wrote:
Many many moons ago on this site we were doing a cleanup effort (no rewards other than bragging rights, (the always desired LTF ))

I know I have a few caches that I've been lax about verifying were gone when I archived one of my caches with a number of DNFs.

Perhaps we should consider bring this back again.
Sounds good to me.

Finding the original cache and the replacement have been some of my favorite geocaching experiences. A few of us dug a really old puzzle cache out of Robert E. Lee Park. We knew the owner never archived it, but it hadn't been found in so long that none of us thought it would still be there. I think LostSole still has it. I am not sure if he mounted it on a wall or plans to put it back out. :D
no_nickname
MGS Member

Post by no_nickname »

Thanks for all the replies! Mystery solved!