Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

NY/NJ Nov 2000 Cache Trip

Plan your group hikes/get-togethers, discuss caches in need of TLC/adoption plus new & favorite caches, as well as park/geocacher relations.
deepdish23
MGS Director

NY/NJ Nov 2000 Cache Trip

Post by deepdish23 »

A couple of us has been trying to set a date for a trip up to NJ and NY to do the 4 Nov 2000 caches that are near each other. We have set a date to do that and want to let everyone know as we will welcome any other cachers that are interested in joining myself, Aaron, Danny (GR8Caches), and Kris, (Soccertoa).
The plan is to leave Maryland early Friday morning Aug 26th and be completed with the caches in the morning of Saturday August 27th. So you will need a find a hotel room for Friday Aug 26th. The itinerary of caches are:

GCC8 - gerbiL CacHe - 11/25/2000 - Hike - 7311 feet - 5 caches on way to cache
GC21C9 - The Sultan of Swat - 10/2001 Virtual - Babe Ruth Grave site
GC2GNZ5 - Cachin' on the Corner - 10/2010 - Connecticut cache only 3 miles from Virtual
GCCAE - Sleepy Hollow - 11/12/2000 Approx 600-800 foot hike
GC4RTCW - Fizzy Challenge - LowHud Edition 5/5 1 mile hike - in a park 2 miles from Turkey Cache park location
GCBE - Turkey Cache - 11/20/2000 950 foot hike - Will pass 2 other caches
GC2Z3D2 - Blue Cache Challenge 5/2.5 (Lonely Cache Type Challenge) 1000 foot hike
GCBF - Boston Cache - 11/19/2000 4300 foot hike.

The plan is to get to GCC8 between 11 and noon on Friday and hope to get all the caches done on Friday except GCBF which we will do Saturday morning. If because of circumstances, we don't get them all done on Friday, it should not be that big of deal. Once we finish Boston Cache, whatever caching you want to do in the area the rest of the weekend is all up to you. Danny, Aaron and I are heading to NE PA to work on Counties and Delorme Squares the rest of Saturday and Sunday spending the night in the Scranton area on Saturday.

For Friday night, the hotels are getting scarce in the area, but we have made reservations at the Marriott just south of Sleepy Hollow, so if you are interested in going I would make reservations soon.
If you are interested in going let us know, depending on how many are interested we can work on carpooling options and such.
fuzzydave
MGS Officer

Re: NY/NJ Nov 2000 Cache Trip

Post by fuzzydave »

There's an extra c in the sleepy hollow cache. It's gcae.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Mark,

I am interested in that trip. I have sleepy hollow but not the rest. Let me check the schedule.

Phil
TheLoneBaker
MGS Member

Post by TheLoneBaker »

I'm definitely interested as well as I have yet to get any of those 4. I'll be in Washington state the previous weekend to attend the Mega Event and should have plenty of time to make it back across the country to New York.
Last edited by TheLoneBaker on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

I am interested in this too. I happen to be off that Friday and have no place to be until 7:00 Saturday night!
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

If you are still interested in going on this trip, here is the latest. We are planning to leave the Maryland area, (around Mount Airy), about 6am and we will take the Pennsylvania route up to the first cache GCC8 - gerbil cache. We are hoping to get to parking between 10:30 and 11:00 am. We are planning on taking 3 hours in grabbing GCC8 as it is a long and somewhat strenuous hike.
The order of caches we are attempting after there has been changed a little:

GC4RTCW - Fizzy Challenge - LowHud Edition 5/5 1 mile hike - in a park 2 miles from Turkey Cache park location
GCBE - Turkey Cache - 11/20/2000 950 foot hike - Will pass 2 other caches
GC2Z3D2 - Blue Cache Challenge 5/2.5 (Lonely Cache Type Challenge) 1000 foot hike (optional cache if we have time)
GCE4 - Another Brick in the Wall (12/2000) Connecticut - About .2 hike.
GC21C9 - The Sultan of Swat - 10/2001 Virtual - Babe Ruth Grave site
GCCAE - Sleepy Hollow - 11/12/2000 Approx 600-800 foot hike
GCBF - Boston Cache - 11/19/2000 4300 foot hike

The goal is to have all caches done on Friday except GCBF and do that cache on Saturday morning, but if we are running behind on Friday, since we are staying overnight near Sleepy Hollow, we can do the last three caches planned for Friday on Sat. morning before heading out to Boston Cache.
There is still room in cars for carpooling and are a couple of bed spaces available in rooms booked if you are looking to split cost and save a little money. Kris(Soccertoa) is planning on heading back to Maryland on Saturday while Danny, myself, and fishercacher are planning to head into PA and grab counties and Delorme square in NE PA on Saturday afternoon and Sunday.
If you decide to come to this trip on the last minute, text either myself, Danny or Kris, and we will look for you at the first stop.
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

What location/hotels are you planning for the overnight?
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

Very tempting but doesn't quite work for me. 8)
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

We ended up getting a GC42C Buttermilk Cache which was placed in March of 2001. It was about 25 to 30 minutes SE from Sleepy Hollow.

Its up hill on a switchback it took us about 30-35 minutes to hike it. But its pretty cool view from the top.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
TheLoneBaker
MGS Member

Post by TheLoneBaker »

It doesn't look like I'll make it back in time for this. I'll just have to make my own trip out for these one day.
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

I had hoped to tag on, but I'm afraid this one is a no-go for me as well.
Dradicus
MGS Member

Post by Dradicus »

I had really hoped to go too. Work did not allow and then I ended up getting sick and having to be home from work most of that week and not even to really leave the house anyway. I'd still like to go at some point. Maybe next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk