Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2017 Logs — Friendship Farm Park

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
Alzarius
MGS Director

CAM 2017 Logs — Friendship Farm Park

Post by Alzarius »

You may post your CAM 2017: Friendship Farm Park logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 6th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
unusualsuspect
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2017 Logs — Friendship Farm Park

Post by unusualsuspect »

!!!!!FTF #986!!!!! Quick find. Co-FTF with AmeliaGrace, coupleocachers, NetworkCacher and trapture. No muggles in the area. All is well. TFTC
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

3/25/2017 We were out here in 2007 for CAM. Glad to back. I did see an eagle today and I walked the loop even though I didn't need to because we found the multi cache the first time we were here. I picked up only one of the bonus caches. There were too many bees buzzing around the first bonus for my liking. I saw the hive in the big tree that is standing. This is actually a milestone for us - Cache 2000 and it only took us 12 years! :D

I noticed MGS license plate 0001 in the parking lot when I returned to my car and I am pretty sure I saw plate 0049 on RT 425 just after I turned on to it. They were just turning onto Friendship Park Rd.
Last edited by TeamRedOak on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ameliagrace
MGS Member

Post by ameliagrace »

DAY 1 OF THIS FUN EVENT CALLED CAM..

Mommy and Daddy(Coupleocachers) woke me up on my weekend out of school at 6:45 am, and said we need to get ready for CAM. We got dressed and were ready to go in the car at 8:00 once the caches were published we left our house for this one since it was only 30 minutes away according to Daddy. We made our way to the area and they told me about the time they use to be here for another Cache in the area. When we arrived MR. UnusualSuspect was already there, we teamed up and started headed the wrong way on the wrong trail, but once we turned around we decided to go ahead and get the bonus cache nearby. Grabbed that with Mr. TRapture. After that we headed on the trail for the CAM and Mr. Networkcacher. FTF with the group.. Very beautiful area. We then made our way around the loop and grab the other bonus caches.

1 CAM DOWN, 9 TO GO!!
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

3/25/17
Met up with CSwann (Carla) early this morning to attend the Southern Kick-off event, and from there we came here first. Parked too far away the first time, and ran into SoMdVet who kindly gave me a ride back to my car so I could move it closer. Having recently injured my knee, I'm caching on a cortisone shot for this CAM and am doing my best to save as many steps as possible! Having said THAT... even after being WARNED to NOT go to the right, but to go to the left... we managed to go to the right anyway -- thinking it WAS the left! (we thought the road down to the boat ramp was the "right")... so we ended up doing the entire loop anyway -- but it was okay! My knee held up well to it, and we enjoyed our time and just moved at my pace. SLOW! (even slower than normal!) :lol: I made the finds on the CAM cache and the Eagle bonus, and Carla made the find on the other bonus. We had a GREAT time!!! Ran into several friends and acquaintances along the way! Thanks for a great start on our journey! :D
Dazie62
MGS Member

Post by Dazie62 »

3/25/2017
TFTC & [:)] ..after attending the North Kick-off event this morning we then traveled further south to make this cache our first 2017 C.A.M find ...arrived at parking then easily made our way to the cache , signed the log & traded a few items . We also enjoyed a bit of "sightseeing" around the area and grabbing a few of the other caches here ...
Profbrad
MGS Member

Post by Profbrad »

This was stop #4 on our CAM road-trip. After a quick bite, we made our way to parking. We had the trail all to ourselves. Very peaceful besides the osprey shrieking above us at one point. Very pretty area, and what I like most about CAM (beautiful location that I wouldn't otherwise ever have encountered). Thanks.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

Mrs. Cajun 55 was in Southern MD for the a visit. So, she headed here in the morning to find it, before going to the movies with friends in the afternoon. Unfortunately, when the time for the movies came, it was a DNF.

After the movie, she returned, and finally found it.
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

gvt1985, MD Crab, and mdfroglover decided to team up for CAM this year. We started opening day with the southern Maryland sweep of Friendship Farm and Biscoe Grey Heritage. On the way we joined up with Soccertoa and MDsearcher(s). A great start to CAM. It is always fun to meet other cachers.
LestISmiteThee
MGS Member

Post by LestISmiteThee »

25 Mar 2017

My first 2017 CAM cache! Saw a few cachers at the parking WP and met DB7 again along the trail, who gave me a nice hint. The hike was pleasant and straight-forward. TFTF!
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

MARCH 30
We were up at 4am and on the road before dawn for our third CAM trip, planning to get the two Southern Maryland CAM's. Why is it that before we left home the GPS showed this 90 miles away but the drive was 181 miles? :D Our day ended with two CAM's and 5 other caches logged and 309 miles driven. Starting each trip from the Eastern Shore, we've now driven 917 miles for six Cam caches. What a beautiful area! We loved the trail, the view of the river and the history lesson at the ruins! Thanks to MGS and the hider for bringing us here, and to Friendship Farm for hosting the cache.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM #5 04/01/2017
It has been quite a while since we have been to this gorgeous part of our county. The little hike to the cache was very scenic with the lovely water views and we saw a bald eagle hunting dinner over the river near the cache. Thanks for placing this special CAM cache.
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

TFTC! This was my second of five CAM caches today. I started at Biscoe and drove here next while making a 2 mile detour on 301 south to grab a GR cache that fulfilled one of my last few De Lorme squares. I chose to start off counter clockwise at a fast walk/slow jog and made it to the cache more quickly than I thought. I ran into CaffeineSaysMoof on the trail to the cache and met FireCacherMD and Sawyer about 50 feet from the cache. I decided to do an out and back, so I returned the same way and faced the elevation change as an ascent this time. On the way out I grabbed the bonus cache nearest the parking lot, which fulfilled a De Lorme square!
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

I spent this second weekend of CAM 2017 caching with Dixiegurl Suzanne, Subfamous and wizardofmd69. We signed the logs with some form of Team CAM to conserve space. I had a great day with 17 finds (6 different types) and no DNFs as well as 1 GPSgames.org GeoVexilla flag find (Macedonia). We finished the day with finding 3 of the 11 CAM 2017 caches.

This was the third find while visiting the area. This was a nicely placed cache. We had a good time on the loop while picking up the caches along the way. TNLN TFTC
jerkybill
MGS Member

Post by jerkybill »

Our eighth CAM this year didn't disappoint. Though what surprised us was the nesting pair of eagles barely 100 meters from GZ. I hope to return here someday and explore some more!
Zepp914
MGS Member

Post by Zepp914 »

This was a really cool little area. We saw waterfowl, lizards, monarch butterflies, and lots of bumblebees. Before heading to the CAM cache, we stopped by the nearby multicache. There are wooden boards on the trail. I didn't notice the one towards stage 1 that was flipped over :shame: . I had a rusty nail go through my foot. :oops: The moral of the story is watch where you are walking and stop staring at your phone/GPS. Did I continue on and get the bonus caches? You bet :!:

It isn't a geocaching adventure without a little blood (and tetnus) right?

The views on the East side of the trail are nice and there is even a lookout area with binoculars.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

Found this on 3/31. Having done CAM for a couple years now, I know to bank a few vacation days so I can take weekdays off rather than try to squeeze these into my weekends. So of course the first day I take off, planning to hit the two CAM caches in Southern Maryland, it's ABSOLUTELY pouring rain. I packed my rain gear and hit the road.

I was nervous about this geocache since the moment it was announced for CAM. I grew up less than a mile down the road from here, leaving when I turned 18, not having been back since. Coming back now, 16 years later, was surreal. It's odd (and yet, not odd) how little Nanjemoy has changed. We used to go fishing off the nearby boat launch, I swear we caught nothing but eels.

In a way the rain was a blessing. I walked the trail in the pouring rain, mind heavy with the past, not running into another soul (human, that is) the whole time. I forgot how pretty the swampy woods there could be. Cache was an easy find. I ended up falling behind on my planned schedule for the day, driving around the area, reminiscing. Was our house really that small? I wonder who lives there now.

Thank you for the geocache.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

After meeting Phos4s and jab430 (see my log for the bonus cache to read about the comedy of errors we had on arrival) in the parking lot, we headed off for the CAM cache. We were first convinced we were going the wrong way. We compared the on-line trail map with the map in the geocaching app Phos4s was using, and tried so hard to figure out which end was up while my phone kept reorienting the image every time I turned my phone! Finally, we just took off down the trail and realized in much less time than we spent checking maps that we were on the right trail.

When we got within about 80 feet of the cache, Phos4s and I took the off-trail route. Jab430 stayed on the trail to check out the decked overlook. Turns out that we ended up right back on the trail before getting to the cache, so jab430 had a far better idea than us. We found the cache in the second place we checked, and we spent less than 10 seconds ruling out the first.

Swapped a CAM 2017 pathtag for a CacheClown76 pathtag.

TFTC!
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

(04/15/2017)
We detoured over this way on the way home from the NC Outer Banks, where we spent Spring Break. On paper, it seemed like a great idea to find a CAM hide or two on the way home, thus saving some driving later in the month. In practice, by the time we finally got back to Maryland, we were road-weary and cranky after 6.5 hours of driving, and kind of wanting to get home. Glad we stopped, though. It wasn't much of a detour off 301, and it was nice to get out and stretch our legs. We ran into a bunch of other people on the trail, and I'm sure almost all of them were cachers. Probably the busiest this out-of-the-way park ever gets. The hike featured some really nice views of the water, and lots of wildlife. After finding one of the bonus hides, we zeroed in on this one and found it quickly. Everything is in great shape. TNLNSL. 5 down now... looks like we may yet have hope of finishing this year! TFTC... Find #3070.
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

4/1/17: We spent some time in this general area after finding the cache and signing the log. I had brought my Canon camera with telephoto lens with the hopes of capturing some birds in flight. I was able to capture an Osprey at a distance but did not notice any bald eagles today. Found with my son, SawyeRR and Kitakima at 11:56. Day 2 of CAMing - 2nd of the day - 5th overall. Thanks for bringing use here!