It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:43 am 
MGS Director

The Find Your Chesapeake Geotrail Kick Off Event GC7K8W4 has been published. The event will be held at the Zimmerman Center near Wrightsville, PA on June 9th, 2018 from 10am-Noon. There is limited parking at the Zimmerman Center, but a shuttle bus service will be set up from Klines Run Park just north of the Visitor Center.
We will provide more details as the event approaches about the itinerary for the event. We hope to have tables from different geoaching organizations and other entities participating in the trail.
The geotrail will have over 60 geocaches placed in 4 states, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia, from Norfolk up to Harrisburg on over 10 different waterways on the Chesapeake Bay. You will need to find 20 geocaches on the trail, gather the code word, to earn one of the 300 geocoins.
I will post again as the trail kick off nears to answer some questions about the trail, but here is some probable questions that can be answered now.

1) Can you do the geotrail in one day?
Answer: You will have to find geocaches on a minimum of two different Chesapeake Bay Waterways to get to 20 geocaches so completing the trail in one day seems unrealistic, especially on the day of launch as the caches will not be published until 12 noon. It is probably possible to finish the trail on a long weekend, but the hope is that you will enjoy the locations where you will be going to.
2) What type of geocaches will there be?
Answer: With over 60 different geocaches we are planning to have a variety of different types of geocaches being placed. There are already a Wherigo, a true Letterbox, a possible kayak cache, puzzle boxes, and many stage multis in the work. While there will always be basic traditional near visitor centers you see on a lot of geotrails, since this trail is about exploring the Chesapeake Bay and its waterways, there will be geocaches that you will spend more time at the site location. With over 60 locations, we hope there is enough variety for everyone.
3) What is the coin redemption policy and will the geocoins be ready on time?
Answer - We will firm up a coin redemption policy as we get closer to the event, but it will probably just be mailing in your passport and then the geocoin will be shipped out to you.
We are well aware that the geocoin production process is much different now than in years passed and that we hope that the geocoins will get to us on time, but the same factors that have caused geocoins to be late in the last couple of years, (orders less than 500 coins get bumped down the priority lists, some of the better factories in China have closed shop, lots of problems with the samples that are produced), could possibly be factors with us. We started the geocoin production process much earlier than we would have just a couple of years ago, so we hope the coins we be here on time. We will keep you up to date on the coins.
4) If I had gotten Captain John Smith geocaches in the pass, can I use those code words in this geotrail?
Answer - No. The Find Your Chesapeake Geotrail is different than the Captain John Smith Geotrail so you will not be able to use the code words from the CJS geotrail to qualify for this geotrail.
5) What will you do if/when the geocoins are all redeemed?
Answer - We are still finalizing what are plans if/when the geocoins have all been earned.

Finally,
This geotrail is a massive undertaking with many people working on the trail. We already have at least 10 geocachers from different geocaching organizations hiding geocaches. Meetings about this trail started last winter. I want to thank everyone who is helping in making this geotrail be the geocaching highlight of 2018 in the mid-Atlantic region.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm 
MGS Officer

Can a bicycle be used on the trail or portions of it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:20 am 
MGS Director

I don't know. I would guess that most locations bicycles are not allowed, but that some of the locations do allow bicycles. If the location does allow bicycles, the attribute will display it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:21 am 
MGS Member

I can't attend the kickoff event due to unplanned surgery a couple days ago. I wonder how I can get the passport for the event so that I can participate? Will it be available online anywhere? Or could it be emailed to me?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:39 am 
MGS Member

I located the passport online for download/printing. Here is the link: http://chesapeakeconservancy.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/GeocachingBooklet2018v2-3-1.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:49 am 
MGS Member

Seeker4Life wrote:
I located the passport online for download/printing. Here is the link: http://chesapeakeconservancy.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/GeocachingBooklet2018v2-3-1.pdf

This link is also useful for the list of caches and locations:
https://www.geocaching.com/play/geotours/find-your-chesapeake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:42 am 
MGS Member

I created an open CacheTur of the trail. It is in a basic order from bottom to top. Total distance: 1 119,7 mi; Calculated driving time (no stop) 1 day, 6 hours, 32 minutes, 29 seconds.

https://cachetur.no/fellestur/20149

You will need to create a profile in order to access the site. I only ask that you not add other non Chesapeake Geotrail caches to the list. If you want to make a copy for your own plan follow these steps: With the trip open go to the menu item "Download/Export" pick the option "Clone to a new trip" it will open a screen where you can rename the trip, change the dates and many other options. Once at the bottom of that screen you can save the trip. While at the bottom you can also choose to share the trip with others. One of the best features of the tool is that you can share and plan a trip with others. The trip will let you know if there are changes to the caches if you choose that setting. Yesterday 2 of these caches had coord changes.

Password is: fyctour

Hope others might find this helpful.