Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Welcome to the New Members!

General Chit-Chat.
CachingRookie78
MGS Member

Re: Welcome to the New Members!

Post by CachingRookie78 »

Hi, I'm new to geocaching and a new member of The Maryland Geocaching Society. Today, I went to my first CITO event and met some really great people!! I look forward to meeting more people and finding awesome caches! What a wonderful, unique community of people!!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Welcome to MGS! Stick with us and you won’t be a rookie for long. Geocaching is a fun worldwide game with lots to explore and experience. Let us know if you have any questions. Our next event is Saturday 20 July in Mt Airy. Watch for the event to publish soon.
cachemeoutsidemd
MGS Member

Post by cachemeoutsidemd »

Hello, all! I am new here but not new to geocaching. I went letterboxing with my mom when I was a teenager and I transitioned to geocaching once that became available. It is now something that I do with my kiddos. I recently discovered The Maryland Geocaching
Society and had to join. I look forward to chatting and caching with you all!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Welcome cachemeoutsidemd! You will find plenty of geocaches to find in Maryland. We are one of the oldest geocaching organizations and have an event every quarter. Our next event is Saturday 20 July in Mt Airy. Watch for the event to publish soon. And we have a CITO planned for the fall along with a picnic and campout.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Join us for some summer fun in Mt Airy on July 20th! We will host a potluck picnic and BBQ. There will be a huge silent auction with tons of coins, trackables and swag to bid on. Come on out, get some good food and get that coin or trackable you always wanted while helping to raise money for CAM. And of course, we will have another Tag-A-Palooza!

Everybody is welcome, especially new folks and beginners! There will be new caches in the park to find!
StarlingGirl
MGS Member

Post by StarlingGirl »

Hello,

Ok. So I've been living under a rock for the last 15-20 years that geocashing has been around. :smt005 Two days ago, a FB friend shared a post and I inquired. So here I am. I was happy I stumbled across MGS. Thanks for having me. Excited to get started.

StarlingGirl
:smt006
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Welcome StarlingGirl! There is something for everyone in geocaching whether you like city caching, puzzles, earth science or the old fashioned favorite, a hike in the woods. It is easy to get started all by yourself with an app on your phone or a dedicated GPS. To get really involved, let us know if you have a question or better yet, check out the calendar of events on our main page and come join one of the events to meet and learn about our hobby one on one. See you around!
CoyfoxGrey
MGS Member

Post by CoyfoxGrey »

Hi there all! I am new here and actually realized I was already a member from before when I went to join on Saturday after the Cache-Advance Zoom meet on Friday. I only moved to Elkton, Maryland last year but I had forgotten I'd joined the forum before. :lol: I consider myself pretty new to caching. I only joined Geocaching.com in 2014 and I currently have about 160-ish finds, but I am very excited about geocaching and it's become one of my favorite things to do outside. I would LOVE to make new friends here -local or not- who I can cache with! Other activities I enjoy are drawing, collecting geocoins, trackables and pathtags, among other things. If anyone is in the Elkton area or around it and has a vehicle and wants to cache with a friend, hit me up! I would love to join in, but currently don't have a car, so I have been walking to get to closer caches since I moved.
Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Welcome to the New Members!

Post by Seeker4Life »

Hi, I’m sure we’ve met on the caching trails! My spouse, Found4Life, and I, Seeker4life, started caching with my Navy son’s GPSr in 2009. Had read about it, but didn’t know any geocachers at the time. Although we’re in Delaware, we had many Maryland cachers suggest we’d like CAM caches, so we eventually tried a CAM challenge and fell in love! I’m pretty sure I am a member. Thanks for such a great statewide caching program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"
CasCaches
MGS Member

Post by CasCaches »

Hi everyone :D

Don't know how active this board is but I am excited to be here and to become more active in geocaching! I cache with my kiddos (and sometimes the hubs if I can bribe him) for the most part.

I upgraded to a premium membership to get access to the tons of caches that are in my area and have been trying to hit at least one a week! Unfortunately I'm rubbish at solving the puzzle ones (which is actually how I stumbled upon this group) but they seem to be the most common near by 8O!

Anywhoo ... excited to be hear and would love recommendations on how to best improve my geo puzzle solving skills.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Geocaching is definitely more social than it appears at first. I would definitely get to some events, there are a number of them that occur monthly around the state, probably one in your area. There you will meet lots of people willing to help with different puzzles. Going to events will definitely help.

The MGS summer picnic is coming up soon... MGS 2021 Summer Picnic.

I would also check out Facebook for the Maryland Geocaching Society group and there are a puzzle solving group or two on Facebook as well. There are a couple of "puzzle a day" groups which can help build your skills.

And this book will be a great help too: http://www.howtopuzzlecache.com/
I suggest getting the spiral bound version since it will lay flat which makes it easier to refer to when working on puzzles.
UrbanShaman444
MGS Member

If you're ever in Charles Town, WV

Post by UrbanShaman444 »

GC9CMCK ....I waited a whole week for this cache page to be published! I may be a new geocacher but I'm a crafty fox and I learn fast, hopefully someone in the MDGPS is FTF on my newest cache! LMK what you think if you do feel free to message me about concepts and designs you like cause I'm always in need of inspiration! Happy caching my geofam!
CasCaches
MGS Member

Post by CasCaches »

littleblkdog wrote: The MGS summer picnic is coming up soon... MGS 2021 Summer Picnic.
Thanks for this link! I've added it to my calendar and hopefully will have the day off to attend.

I don't have FB but I was able to get some links from those pages and have had greater success in solving some of the puzzle caches! I also learned its way easier to do some of them at home and then it will save the solved coordinates so I can cache them later instead of trying to solve something on my phone :P

Very useful and helpful links! Thank you again @littleblkdog
Butterflier_TeamBnB
MGS Member

Post by Butterflier_TeamBnB »

Been a duffer since 2006, but my wife and I gave each other premium memberships for our July anniversary, and have a 26 day streak going now. Fortunately she loooves doing puzzles and has a near endless supply to enjoy now! Thanks to all the clever folks coming up with challenges! I have one cache out so far, but am plotting a few more. Looking forward to fun for many years!
Tobydawgz
MGS Member

Post by Tobydawgz »

Just joined today but have been actively caching for a couple of years. I have a few caches out - mostly in Montgomery County which is my main locus of operations although I have also cached a bit in PG and Howard mostly but other counties as well. if you find my caches, let me know if you enjoy them or any issues you encounter - I appreciate the feedback and will do my best to correct any issues. Hope to see you on the trails and roads.
jazzhorse89
MGS Member

Post by jazzhorse89 »

Hi y'all!

I joined right at the end of 2020 and found my first cache in early January 2021! As I approach my third year of caching, I figure that I would like to get more active in the caching community. Admittedly, I find it a little hard to dive into it. Live in Cheverly, MD and have put out a number of caches in the area with one running at 61% FP rate! (proud CO here)

I was able to get my find count to 1,000 within my first year, but since then it's been hard to get back to that pace. I enjoy caching with others and it's hard to get schedules together to find the time for our caching group to get back out there. That being said, I've made pilgrimages to WVTim land and two megas (including GeoWoodstock 19 in Owensboro, KY).

In any case, as I get to the end of 2023, I'm hoping to find some time to get back out there and looking to make 2024 a high performing year!

Never did an introduction here, so figured this was a good time! Cheers!
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

Eyyy! Fellow Cheverly cacher. We should meet up sometime.
mariocog
MGS Member

Post by mariocog »

Hiya! I’m brand new to geocaching and just found 6 caches today out in Charles County. I’ve known about geocaching for a little while now and I’ve seen tiktoks about it but recently I’ve wanted to give it a shot. It’s a nerdy thing to do that’ll get me out the house more lol. After I graduated college last year I’ve come to realize that I now have the time, freedom, and money to indulge my hobbies full throttle! So that’s what I’m doing. Idk how long I’ll stick with this but I’m enjoying it so far! :)
manonm
MGS Member

Post by manonm »

Hi everyone! I created my geocaching account in 2009 but only really got back into it during the pandemic. Looking forward to starting to hide some caches of my own, which is why I joined here :) Hoping to get some advice and suggestions from other members, and join in with community events. I'm in Baltimore :)
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

For any new members, my suggestion is to attend a local event and talk to others in your area. This is also a great way to get hints for caches.