Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Replacing caches…ie: throwdowns

General Chit-Chat.
CodyHollowFarm
MGS Officer

Replacing caches…ie: throwdowns

Post by CodyHollowFarm »

Hey all…. Good morning…. Wanted to touch base on cache etiquette here briefly. I was in Boston when my Delaware caching friends got notification a cache of theirs had been found. No big deal right? Wrong. The post said the cache was not as described in listing. So they emailed the last finder and asked them to describe it. It was obviously a throw down with the last two previous finders names on it. Cache was there by the way.

This is not the first time this pair has put a throw down at a cache location where the cache is. As a friendly reminder….

LOOK. Look again. Expand your search area. Reach out to the cache owner. We WANT you to get that smilie just as much as you do. DON’T toss a throw down without cache owner permission. Granted, most of us don’t care. A lot of us do. Personally, if it’s one of my series, that are made specifically, I’ll take a throw down and go replace it within a few days (If I’m not traveling) Once again, I want people to get a smilie! But ask, search.

Please be respectful of the cache owner and the effort they put forth to maintain and manage their caches. If you can’t find it, use that phone a friend, reach out. Just don’t do a throw down.
Stacy
Always caching, always searching....
Satch47
MGS Member

Re: Replacing caches…ie: throwdowns

Post by Satch47 »

I think I know what a Throwdown is but am not 100% certain. After 19 years geocaching you would think I would know. Just so I'm sure, could you please explain? Thanks
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Re: Replacing caches…ie: throwdowns

Post by bneeriemer »

A throwdown occurs when a cacher fails to find a cache. They assume it has been taken (aka muggled) and so they replace it with another cache container (ie: throwdown).

While I haven't ever done this, we have been known to replace/add the logsheet if it is missing or full.

-Bill