Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Cam Bonus Possible Pitfalls

General Chit-Chat.
hostanut
MGS Member

Cam Bonus Possible Pitfalls

Post by hostanut »

First, I'd like to thank all CAM hiders. Thanks again to those CAM hiders that also hid CAM Bonus cache(s).

I have only completed 1 CAM2020 cache but am preparing trips for the future.

I have looked at GC8M3NQ CAM 2020 Bonus Cache -All Gave Some, Some Gave All to prepare for 1 of those future trips. I have even been able to solve the puzzles and come up with the final coords (verified by a previous finder) for this cache.

After reading the cache page and logs for this Bonus cache I have discovered some possible pitfalls:

1. Cache page states "From the posted coordinates, you will use the stone sign on the ground to determine the coordinates to the next stage."

#1's possible pitfall: Nothing at the listed coords is needed to solve the first stage......use this other info on the cache page to solve this stage at home..."use letters to represent their position in the alphabet (example: A=1, B=2, etc)"

2. The coords seem to be okay for the "Killed in Action" stage.

#2's possible pitfall: "T" is not needed to solve for the next stage's coords. Yes, "T" could be construed as indicating that the Lastname contains at least 5 letters (info not needed)

3. "Mr. Harry's" stage. I know some respectful young people who address older adults as Mr. "Firstname".

#3's possible pitfall (I have not physically visited this site):
From what I've been able to virtually see, there is nobody listed with the Lastname of Harry but there is someone listed with the Firstname or Harry. This leaves 2 possibilities:
A. Use Harry as the Firstname....puzzle does not work or
B. Use the Lastname of the person listed with the Firstname Harry.....puzle works.

#3's 2nd possible pitfall: "R" and "T" do not need to be calculated as they are not used to determine the next stage's coords.

#4 possible pitfall: As stated in some logs, final coords are off.

#5 possible pitfall: Cache page states "You are now at the final stage, where the cache container is located. You will need to locate it, part of which representing something of great importance in World War I and World War II.".......I have not done this cache but finding "something of great importance" may be misleading.
hostanut
MGS Member

Re: Cam Bonus Possible Pitfalls

Post by hostanut »

Looks like the CO of GC8M3NQ CAM 2020 Bonus Cache -All Gave Some, Some Gave All made some changes today:

New Stage 1 puzzle looks like it is no longer solvable from home.

Stage 3: There is still no person listed on this tribute with the Lastname of Harry.
Names on tribute are listed as Lastname Firstname or Lastname Firstname Middle Initial.
hostanut
MGS Member

Post by hostanut »

Thanks DadTwins for correcting the Stage 3 puzzle for GC8M3NQ CAM 2020 Bonus Cache -All Gave Some, Some Gave All.
KlawPaws
MGS Member

Post by KlawPaws »

Other than the first stage where in reality you didn’t need to go. I spoke to the CO Saturday and the cache went smoothly. Recommended he change stage one to make you go there which it sounds like you do now. All the other stages made sense and like others you realize extra information is fine. You have to remember the CO did not necessarily write the cache pages. In this case he told me he did not. Other than stage one the rest does not need to change.