Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Welcome to the New Members!

General Chit-Chat.
maggieb
MGS Member

Re: Welcome to the New Members!

Post by maggieb »

I'm excited to join! We love geocaching.
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

Welcome Maggieb

Are you comingt o our Holiday Swap event on the 3rd?
maggieb
MGS Member

Post by maggieb »

Would love to but have plans already!
geocaching_ginger
MGS Member

Post by geocaching_ginger »

Glad to have joined! Thanks for the welcome. :D
LuxGirl1969
MGS Member

Post by LuxGirl1969 »

Hi, I am LuxGirl1969
I just joined yesterday.
I was born in Luxembourg in 1969...hence the name.
If you'd like to call me Susie, that would be fine as well!
See you out there!
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

Saw you name on logs LuxGirl1969, Glad you found MGS.
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
shalacknar
MGS Member

Post by shalacknar »

Just Joined Looking forward to having fun with evryone!

Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

shalacknar wrote:Just Joined Looking forward to having fun with evryone!
Welcome Shalacknar!

There are a few caching events in your direction if you are interested in meeting some "local" cacher. You can find an event list on the front page (mdgps.org).
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

Welcome! Nice to meet you at your cache yesterday :D
shalacknar
MGS Member

Post by shalacknar »

zorrobarnes wrote:
Welcome! Nice to meet you at your cache yesterday :D
thanks had fun chatting

JMilleker
MGS Member

Post by JMilleker »

New to the forum, used to geocache a long time ago but fell out of it. Recently showed my wife and our niece geocaching on a trip to Shenandoah and fell back in love with it.

I'm a full time photographer who practices, teaches, demonstrated and presents on modern and historical photographic processes. Located near BWI Airport. I'm hoping this will get me out of the darkroom on free days!

Looking forward to meeting other geocachers in the area.
-John
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

JMilleker wrote:New to the forum … Looking forward to meeting other geocachers in the area.
-John
Welcome to the MGS, John! A great way to meet the geolocals is to attend one of the many events which regularly pop up throughout Maryland. We maintain a handy calender of events on the front page of the MGS website. Our next official MGS events are the MGS CITO and Picnic on September 23rd and the Fall Picnic and Campout on the weekend of October 14th. I look forward to greeting you in person sometime soon!
Ejwall
MGS Member

Post by Ejwall »

Hey all,

New to the geocaching games and MGS, been at caching for about a month, really enjoying it, with 40 cache finds to date. Can’t wait to meet some of you at events. Unfortunately, I’m too late for CAM 2018, but looking forward to CAM 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Ejwall wrote:Hey all,

New to the geocaching games and MGS, been at caching for about a month, really enjoying it, with 40 cache finds to date. Can’t wait to meet some of you at events. Unfortunately, I’m too late for CAM 2018, but looking forward to CAM 2019.

Ejwall - Welcome to geocaching and the MGS! I see that you are finding some caches in and around Columbia, there is an event at the Mall known as the First Thursday In Columbia, you should definitely come out for it. Next one is June 7th.

There are also lots of other events close to you and statewide that you should checkout. Groundspeak has a great calendar on your profile page or you can see Maryland related events on our Calendar located on the front page of our MGS site.

Also you might have missed CAM this year but another, larger Geotrail kicks off on 9 June. It is called
the Find Your Chesapeake Geotrail. The kickoff event is Find Your Chesapeake Geotrail Kickoff Event. You should definitely plan on coming out for this and bringing some friends to find the large amount of fresh geocaches. Find enough and you will earn a trackable geocoin.

See you soon,

Phil
littleblkdog
Ejwall
MGS Member

Post by Ejwall »

littleblkdog wrote:
Ejwall wrote:Hey all,

Ejwall - Welcome to geocaching and the MGS! I see that you are finding some caches in and around Columbia, there is an event at the Mall known as the First Thursday In Columbia, you should definitely come out for it. Next one is June 7th.

There are also lots of other events close to you and statewide that you should checkout. Groundspeak has a great calendar on your profile page or you can see Maryland related events on our Calendar located on the front page of our MGS site.

Also you might have missed CAM this year but another, larger Geotrail kicks off on 9 June. It is called
the Find Your Chesapeake Geotrail. The kickoff event is Find Your Chesapeake Geotrail Kickoff Event. You should definitely plan on coming out for this and bringing some friends to find the large amount of fresh geocaches. Find enough and you will earn a trackable geocoin.

See you soon,

Phil
littleblkdog
Thanks! I will look into that, sounds like a bunch of fun, and I’m in the Columbia area, born and raised, lol. I will have to see what my work schedule is for the 7th, there have been a lot of people quitting at my job (hopefully I’ll be one soon) and I have been working 6 days/week.

Also, sorry for making you go back out to your cache the other day after I logged DNF, me and my mom looked high and low for it, I’ll have to go back and see if I can turn it from a sad face into a happy face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Ejwall, no problem at all. After it was muggled the first time I was worried it was muggled again. It was a good walk for the dog and I was glad it was there. Give it another shot!
Branwyn
MGS Member

Post by Branwyn »

New member in Sharpsburg, MD. Looking to find a "beginner" handheld gps to get started with. Is there a place where people list gps' for sale?

Thanks!
Mary S.
sharkb8007
MGS Member

Post by sharkb8007 »

arethamorce wrote:Hi newbie here hoping o get some hints from the pro tHANKS
Welcome. I may not be "pro" level, but feel free to ask questions or ask for help with a specific cache and help will be on the way. Hope to see you on the road during CAM.
All caches signed as EnB608 :smt049
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

arethamorce wrote:Hi newbie here hoping o get some hints from the pro tHANKS
I may be a pro, or just a random person that can help.

Which part of Maryland do you live in, and have you had the chance to attend an event?
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Branwyn wrote:New member in Sharpsburg, MD. Looking to find a "beginner" handheld gps to get started with. Is there a place where people list gps' for sale?

Thanks!
Mary S.
We do have a thread here that lists items for sale. It isn't particularly active, just not that much for sale.

You don't really need a GPS to start. Most smartphones will work and Groundspeak has a free geocaching app for both Android and iOS. There are also 3rd Party apps that work as well. You might check that out first although I do prefer a dedicated, handheld GPSr. A good number of geocachers are phone only now.

If you still want a GPSr, I can recommend the Garmin GPSMap series. The 64 model is probably at a sweetpoint for cost right now with the new 66 in stores now. The 64 will do everything you want. But you should shop around. The biggest concern is that it support "paperless geocaching" and .gpx files. That will allow to load your GPSr without much issue and you won't be manually entering points to find.

REI will be having their spring sales soon and the 64 will probably have a sale on that unit. You should also check online because some stores there have excellent prices as well.