Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

How to get started in Annapolis area?

General Chit-Chat.
Cybergirl5
MGS Member

How to get started in Annapolis area?

Post by Cybergirl5 »

Hi everyone ! I want to dive in and start learning how to geocache. I live in Annapolis MD and don’t know anyone else who does geocaching. Do you have suggestions how I can connect with local groups to learn and cache with?
Alysson
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Re: How to get started in Annapolis area?

Post by bneeriemer »

Well, finding this website is probably the best place to start.
To start geocaching:
Setup an account on geocaching.com
Download and install an App. For Android, I like c:GEO.
For iPhone, I hear cacherly (or something like that. I don't hear clearly.)
Also, geocaching.com offers a free app.

To start mixing with other cachers:
Pay attention to the opening page of this website, somewhere on the middle right side of the home page is a list of upcoming events. I don't know of any in Annapolis itself, but there are some in Laurel, and Columbia monthly (I think)
Also, look for the MDGPS Fall Picnic. It's in Hancock MD. (Hancock is the last city in MD on I-70 West.)
Hancock, opens up a park for camping, and there's a big picnic.
Next Spring, keep an eye out for CAM 2019. It kicks off in March, and runs through the first weekend of May. There'll be 10-11 caches hidden in parks through out MD. In addition, some parks will have bonus CAM caches. You must find 10 CAM caches, and collect code symbols. These will be used with a decoder to tell you where the picnic is held. Expect several hundred people to attend. It's really popular.

If transportation is an issue, let people know. Many are willing to carpool.

Good luck
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

That is some good advice above. Here are some links that may be useful as well.

Here is the next event that is reasonably close to you and happening soon (this Thursday evening!):

FTIC (First Thursday in Columbia) - August 2018 - 630pm at the Columbia Mall

Geocaching 101 list of FAQ and resources

Finding a geocache video

Geocaching etiquette video

If you have more questions be sure to ask them here! When I started I was mostly searching our neighborhood with my daughter and we kept to ourselves for the first couple of weeks. Then I attended an event or two and found out that this is a very social hobby that will get you out and about seeing the state and meeting lots of nice people.
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

Attending events is probably one of the best ways to get started. Maryland geocachers are a very enthusiastic lot, and they will absolutely help, you out and show you the ropes. If someone at an even does not know the answer to a question you may have, they likely know someone who does. Also, continue to use these forums as a resource, you'll likely find answers to many of your questions here.

Another idea is to host an event of your own. It is relatively easy to do, and if you state that the purpose of the event is for the attendees to teach you about geocaching, you will likely get lots of help. If you want more help with that, feel free to contact me directly through the messaging or email portions of the geocaching website.