Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Chesapeake Search Dogs

General Chit-Chat.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Chesapeake Search Dogs

Post by littleblkdog »

MGS has recieved the following request from Chesapeake Search Dogs. If you are interested in learning more, please reach out to Adam, his information is listed below. We are also working to see if we can get a demonstration of sorts at the Summer Picnic assuming our schedules line up.

"Chesapeake Search Dogs is an all-volunteer search and rescue team headquartered in central Maryland. We are actively seeking to add to our team. While we’re always seeking K9 handlers, I am specifically interested in speaking with your membership about opportunities as “flankers” and our Mission Support team.

At CSD our dogs and dog handlers are supported by equally important ground searchers that we call flankers. These folks are in the field walking with K9 handlers and basically keep the K9 handler going in the right direction. They are experts in navigation and will direct the handler through a search area, manage communications back to base, and are actively looking for lost subjects and clues.

Our lifeline while we are in the field is our Mission Support team. These are specially trained volunteers that stay at base, maintain radio communications with all assets deployed in the field, and are responsible for uploading and downloading data to/from GPS units.

I think that given Geocachers’ knowledge of GPS and passion for the outdoors that there would be a great deal of interest in learning more about Search and Rescue. I am by no means trying to steal members away from MGS as the two activities are complimentary and certainly not mutually exclusive.

I would love the opportunity to speak at an event or any sort of outreach that you determine would be appropriate.

Adam Walworth
410-858-8217
Assistant Director of Operations | Chesapeake Search Dogs"