Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Garmin GPSMAP 66ST

Discuss GPS Hardware, Technical Issues, etc. here.
Driddy
MGS Member

Garmin GPSMAP 66ST

Post by Driddy »

My Oregon 450 needs replacement and I like the features of the GPSMAP 66ST. I am concerned, though, by some forum posts on gc.com and some consumer feedback on Amazon, both of which point to the unit locking up on occasion. I am not too concerned if this is an occasional problem that can be easily fixed in the field by something like a quick reboot, but if it is incessant or difficult to remedy, then I may want to rethink this choice.

Can any actual owners of this model weigh in on their take on this issue? Do you have this problem? How hard is it to work around any issues?

Thank you!
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Re: Garmin GPSMAP 66ST

Post by _JohnnyCache »

Driddy wrote:My Oregon 450 needs replacement and I like the features of the GPSMAP 66ST. I am concerned, though, by some forum posts on gc.com and some consumer feedback on Amazon, both of which point to the unit locking up on occasion. I am not too concerned if this is an occasional problem that can be easily fixed in the field by something like a quick reboot, but if it is incessant or difficult to remedy, then I may want to rethink this choice.

Can any actual owners of this model weigh in on their take on this issue? Do you have this problem? How hard is it to work around any issues?

Thank you!
I've had the 66 for a number of months and have to say it's been the best GPS Garmin has released so far. I'm a long time Garmin guy and tend to upgrade frequently so many times as an early adopter, I get to be a beta tester. The 66 has refreshingly less bugs than any past Garmin GPS that I can remember along with fixing some long time annoying bugs. I've only had one lockup and it was listing specific, not a surprise as Garmin tends to have issues sometimes with special characters on cache pages. I wouldn't bother with the ST as the topo maps are not worth the larger price, open source maps have come a long way. I'm using the OSM Topo Maps and they are also routable.

I've used touchscreens for the last few Garmin generations so was a bit apprehensive going back to hard buttons but, smaller size, lighter weight, snappy UI, intuitive menus, long battery life and larger brighter display all helped that transition. I also have the inReach Mini which integrates with the 66 but you can also upgrade to the 66i and have it integrated if you'd like, the inReach is great technology if you're looking for a tracker. With the addition of online cache download and logging through WiFi or Bluetooth right on the GPS, Garmin has a winner in the 66.

*I was not paid by Garmin for this review but would accept any money they are willing to offer :lol:
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
Driddy
MGS Member

Post by Driddy »

_JohnnyCache,
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. It was very helpful to hear from a very experienced cacher who has gone through multiple units over the years. I used OSM and various trail maps with my Oregon 450 and was always very satisfied with the results so I will take your advice and save some money by going with the 66S, rather than 66ST. Frankly, I would buy it without the satellite imagery if I could. At one point I had a Garmin sat. imagery subscription and did not find it to be very useful.

I almost ordered one from REI a few days ago without stopping to think about Black Friday sales. It's a good thing I waited -- Amazon, REI, and other retailers have just dropped the price on the 66S to $299. With REI's member rebate, that takes the price down to about $270. I placed an order and should receive it next week.
AL's Guide
Former MGS Officer

Post by AL's Guide »

Always Lost 00 has a 66st but has not used it a lot yet. It seems to be able to do anything that anybody would want to do but she still has her favorite, a Colorado 400t. She also has a Montana that gets used very little. Recently she has been concentrating on figuring out our new Drive Smart that we call Bert and using her Colorado when we exit the Jeep. I have always been a Magellan guy and have several (310 and 710) but am working my way into Garmin since Magellan has dropped their eXplorist models and invested in the off road trail market more suited for Jeepin' and trail cameras. Riding trails is fun but riding trails and caching is funner. With our 8 units we can have fun and find caches. Oh, we carry our phones too.