Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Phone or GPS

Discuss GPS Hardware, Technical Issues, etc. here.
Satch47
MGS Member

Phone or GPS

Post by Satch47 »

I have always used a GPS to Geocache but lately my Garmin Dakota 20 isn't connecting to my desktop all the time which make loading and deleting geocaches troublesome. So with that in mind, I'm wondering if I should buy another GPS or just use my iPhone? I'm a "Light Weight" Geocacher :D ... In 19 years of Geocaching (Since April 19, 2003) I have 469 Finds !! so this should tell you how much I need a new GPS.
Anybody else just use their phone?
Thanks.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Re: Phone or GPS

Post by littleblkdog »

iPhone with Cachly app won’t steer you wrong. I started with GPSr and slowly moved to phone over the last couple of years. Cachly has great topo maps too. GPSr has it’s uses but the phone is generally better except for durability and battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satch47
MGS Member

Post by Satch47 »

[quote="littleblkdog"]iPhone with Cachly app won’t steer you wrong. I started with GPSr and slowly moved to phone over the last couple of years. Cachly has great topo maps too. GPSr has it’s uses but the phone is generally better except for durability and battery life.

Thank you So much littleblkdog. I just loaded Cackly onto my phone and am already impressed with what I see in the few short minutes I've had it. :applause:
I'll be leaving the Dakota 20 at home to make myself become proficient in using Cachly... :D
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Let me know if you have any questions about Cachly!

Satch47
MGS Member

Post by Satch47 »

littleblkdog wrote:Let me know if you have any questions about Cachly!

Thanks again. I don't suppose Cachly has turn by turn navigation like a Garmin Nuvi does it ? I am still discovering things on it but haven't found that yet..
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Yes, Cachly will definitely do turn by turn for car driving directions. It will use Apple or whatever you have installed like Google Maps or Waze. To do it:

- load and select a cache
- click the compass icon in the lower right, your selected map will open
- click the tri-dot in the upper right, your map options will pop up at the bottom
- select your map routing preference, that app will open
- begin the navigation.
This option works great if you have Apple Carplay and you are connected to your car as well, it basically turns your car navigation system into a car GPS just like a Nuvi.

Cachly also has proximity alerts for when you are hiking. This won't work with the live search (main screen, button on the far left) but it does work with any offline list. So you can load a pocket query to an offline list or save a live search as an offline list. Once you have that done, select the lists tab at the bottom. When the map displays look at the line of icons on the lower right and hit the one that looks like a bullseye. That will bring up a menu that will have an option to set and configure a proximity alarm to sound when you get within the specified distance which is kind of like turn by turn for hiking. I don't really use it but some really like that feature.
Satch47
MGS Member

Post by Satch47 »

Great !! Cachly is well worth the price. This should make geocaching much easier.
Thank you littleblkdog for all the help and information you gave me. I really appreciate it.