Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Cache-Lumbus Day 2019 - Biking the Delaware C&D Trail!

Plan your group hikes/get-togethers, discuss caches in need of TLC/adoption plus new & favorite caches, as well as park/geocacher relations.
zumbido
MGS Member

Cache-Lumbus Day 2019 - Biking the Delaware C&D Trail!

Post by zumbido »

I have a government mandated holiday coming up on Monday October 14th and was planning on doing my yearly bike outing to a trail to do some caching.

This year, I have chosen to do the C&D Trail in Delaware. I'm thinking I'll start somewhere around C&D #74 and go east. If I get to Delaware City in a couple hours, I'll work my way back on the south side of the canal.

My plan is to get there around 9:00 and park at the South Lum's Pond Trailhead (39.544491,-75.720338). My goal is to be back to my car by 2:30 to head home.

If you're interested in joining, please post your interest below.
Last edited by zumbido on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
GR8CACHES
MGS Member

Re: Cache-Lumbus Day 2019 - Biking Somewhere!

Post by GR8CACHES »

Here are two more options for you.

There are about 50 caches along this 10.5 mile trail that runs from Charles Town to Martinsburg WV.
Bike Trail - Welcome to the Trail; https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4Q1H2

There are 100s of cache along this trail that runs from Richmond to Jamsetown VA.
Cache 1; https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC64P37
Msmit002
MGS Member

Post by Msmit002 »

Have you completed the Maryland Star caches? (GC4YVNQ) My understanding is that this is quite doable in a day by bike.
mjb007
MGS Member

Post by mjb007 »

Msmit002 wrote:Have you completed the Maryland Star caches? (GC4YVNQ) My understanding is that this is quite doable in a day by bike.
Some of them are a bit off trail, and some are in Little Bennett, just be warned.
mjb007
MGS Member

Post by mjb007 »

GR8CACHES wrote:Here are two more options for you.

There are about 50 caches along this 10.5 mile trail that runs from Charles Town to Martinsburg WV.
Bike Trail - Welcome to the Trail; https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4Q1H2
I haven't done these in a while, but this was a great set. Some quite challenging. Most of it is/was in the open, so fall and less sun/heat is a great time.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

If you liked GSH, C&D is similar. Nice ride along the canal, although it can get a little bit repetitive. The north side has a paved hiker/biker trail most of the way, while the south side is mostly unpaved. I rode a loop from Chesapeake City out to St. Georges and back, crossing to the north side at Chesapeake City and back to the south side at St Georges. Both the Chesapeake CIty and the St Georges bridges are bikeable. The easternmost bridge at Delaware City is not bike friendly.

I wouldn't mind returning there and biking the entire north side out to Delaware City and back. The caches are definitely best to do as a tag team.
zumbido
MGS Member

Re: Cache-Lumbus Day 2019 - Biking the Delaware C&D Trail!

Post by zumbido »

Good morning everyone,

Cache-lumbus Day is fast approaching and I have decided to tackle as much of the Delaware C&D Trail that I possibly can in one day. My thinking is that we'll start around C&D 74 and go east. If we make it to Delaware City in a couple of hours, we'll hop to the south side of the canal and cache our way back.

If anyone would like to join me, post your interest here and we'll start planning.