Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Disabled & Archived

Plan your group hikes/get-togethers, discuss caches in need of TLC/adoption plus new & favorite caches, as well as park/geocacher relations.
Klause von Kuhn
MGS Member

Disabled & Archived

Post by Klause von Kuhn »

Another one of my caches has been archived due to it vanishing. The "Nature's Dam" cache in Montgomery County has taken flight. The first to disappear was the "Micro-Disc" on the Patuxant Branch Trail in Howard County. These are the only ones that have turned up missing. Although the "V" cache had been archived because it was destroyed 3 times. "Emmas Tiger" cache and the original "Stump" cache were archived because they were destroyed also. "Music Madness" cache was archived because it was no longer welcomed in the park.... As far as temporarily disabling a cache, I find this necessary when damage to a cache is minimal and time is needed for repairs. I have done this with "Just Another Cache" in Harford County. Now for my "Mini-Series Pt.1-4" caches in Prince Georges County, I have temporarily disabled them because I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with them. I guess when I am forced to archive, it just opens up more ground for new ones.
Bigcall
MGS Member

Is there any common theme to the dissapearances?

Post by Bigcall »

I find it hard to believe that many have been damaged. Your caches (at least the ones that I have manged to find) are well hidden and I would suspect that a non-geocacher would not generally just stumble upon them.

My observation is that most caches generally become easier to find the longer they exist. Whether that's through a path being beaten to the area and/or the hiding place gradually migrating away from its initial state of concealment or some other reason is unclear.

As the last finder of Nature's Dam I can offer some insight. When I arrived the cache was just about in plain view on top of the dam. I usually try to leave the cache just a little better hidden than I found it. My thought is that it will degrade on its own over time as cover blows away or things shift around. With this cache though, it was hard to say how and where it was supposed to be hidden. In this case, I just used my best judgement and found a cranny and covered it up to blend in with the rest of the dam but left just a bit showing so that it fit with the difficulty rating.

V's demise is surprising because we had a hell of a time finding that one for some reason. What was the park's beef with Music Madness? That was a fun one and I liked the trek to find it. I even put the "Over the River and through the Wood" cache nearby for the picnic back in June, because I liked that general area so much. I think that was back when they were waffling on all the caches there though so it wound up just being there temporarily.

I have only had one cache go missing, which was a great lesson learned as to where not to put a cache. I've had a few migrate slightly and/or turn into pretty obvious spots. Seasons seem to play a role as well since defoliation can make things much easier.

My rule of thumb seems similar to yours. If it's not too bad I would leave it there, fix it up and return it to duty. If it's gone or heavily damaged I might bring it back but probably not in the same spot and would then make it a new cache.
Klause von Kuhn
MGS Member

Music Madness Area

I too enjoyed the area where I placed the "Music Madness" cache and I am planning on returning there to put in a new one. As far as the cache itself, I have put that back out as "Music Madness II" and it is in the Daniels area of Patapsco State Park. My plans for this spring are to hide numerous traditional and micro caches in different areas of Patapsco. There is still thousands of acres left untouched. And now the approval process is in place jst waiting for me.
Last Lap Gang
MGS Member

Post by Last Lap Gang »

You are a busy man Klause. :D
Klause von Kuhn
MGS Member

Is It Break-time Yet?

That I am my friend. I have hidden 4 caches this week, only one is for the general population at this time. That one is a micro called "Crash Site Of Flight #913. I hid this one this evening in the ice. What a slippery time I had on the paved trail. I intend on going out tomorrow and finding a few as well as hiding a couple more. I will be taking a break after tomorrow though. Still looking forward to St. Marys county on Saturday.
Klause von Kuhn
MGS Member

At my witt's end...

Out of 57 caches hidden, I believe there are only 36 that are currently active. The rest have been archived. Not to worry though, because I will continue to put them out there. Although I have been receiving emails about certain caches of mine. The emails have stated that the difficulty levels are not exactly accurate. The reason for this is because when I hide them, they are completely covered when I'm done. But when people find hem, they do not take the time to cover them back up the way I had them. All cachers must realize that all of my caches are never exposed originally. The most important rule of hiding, is to keep the cache out of site. Even though I do this all of the time, I can't go behind every cacher and do what they should be doing and that is to cover it back up. People need to be more responsible when it comes to this. If it is considered to be a hard cache, then leave it that way. I've noticed that some cachers leave the caches somewhat exposed in order to make it alittle easier for the next to find it. Well, my question is; "What gives you that right?" Why can't everyone play the game by the rules? I found out just the other day, that my Music Madness II cache has been exposed. All along I'm thinking it was the same way I originally hid it. But now I find out that all of the stones that surrounded it, are completely gone. Now after looking in the logs that people posted, it is pretty obvious who was responsible for this. And I might point out that this is not the first time this has happen to my caches. I really don't know what to do anymore. Talking doesn't seem to go anywhere. The cacher(s) in question doesn't show any respect to the hider or the enviroment. Perhaps I should set up a camera at one of my caches and catch the culprit(s) in the act. Then I can turn it over to Jeremy Irish and let him take care of the irresponsible cacher or cachers, whatever the case may be.
trev
Former MGS Officer

No excuse!

Post by trev »

Klause,
There's no excuse for someone to purposely change a cache. Planning, placing, and maintaining a cache takes so much time and effort for the owner.

Hang in there because there are many of us who appreciate what you do for our sport!

All the best and happy trails,
Trev