Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Tangier Island event

Plan your group hikes/get-togethers, discuss caches in need of TLC/adoption plus new & favorite caches, as well as park/geocacher relations.
Georick402
MGS Member

Re: Tangier Island event

Post by Georick402 »

I'm interested, although anything can happen between now and then. It's on my calendar, and hoping it'll work out.
Run Amok
MGS Member

Post by Run Amok »

Sounds fun, I'm interested.
tinycacher70
MGS Member

Post by tinycacher70 »

New island for me I am in. Both dates 6/8 or 6/15 works for me.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

6/8 is now out for me. 6/15 is possible.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
dillicache
MGS Member

Post by dillicache »

looks like 6/15 is good for me. 6/8 is out
Phos4s
MGS Member

Post by Phos4s »

I'm considering the trip. I think I've subscribed to the thread.
Que3nbe3
Former MGS Officer

Post by Que3nbe3 »

I am definitely interested. I think either date will work. And hopefully I can convince BlurryFace and Darzaga to come along.
Que3nbe3
Former MGS Officer

Post by Que3nbe3 »

Did I already say I was interested?
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer
It’s my birthday

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

I'm very interested if I can get away. In my younger days, I used to fly down to Tangier Island for lunch. We always looked for and we're amazed at the dexterity of the island's 3-legged dog. That was nearly 40 years ago, so I don't expect to see a 3-legged replacement.
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
big315red
MGS Member

Post by big315red »

Sounds like a fun trip. I'm interested.
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

We’re interested. I have a chess tourney that day, but I’ll see if I can get a substitute tournament director. Our last island cache with Deepdish23 was in the middle of lake Michigan, how can we miss this one? Besides, the Cache Harpoon is due for another outing!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

The date is set, the event will be 6/15. I have been a little busy lately and I still need to pull together some information but I will submit the event shortly after the CAM picnic.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

The event has been submitted. When it is published you will be able to find it here.

There is a virtual, Abandonment Freedom War & Fishing, that requires a visit to Reedville and Tangier Island. Also the ferry from Reedville seems to give the most amount of time on the island. It is probably about the same drive time from Central MD to Reedville, Crisfield or Onancock but your mileage may vary.

General ferry info

Reedville ferry info

Onancock ferry info

Crisfield ferry info (same as general info)

The ferry from all locations seems to take about 1.5 hours one way. The Reedville ferry appears to allow about 2 hrs 45 min before it needs to return. My plan is to assemble right after we are dropped off and figure out where to eat. As soon as we are done eating, find the SSB cache and then find the earthcache and make it back to the boat in time to not get stuck on the island.

A list of caches on cachetur that may be of interest. Another cachetur list is here. My personal goals are GC7B872, GC230GB and of course GC22APC.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I just booked my ticket online at Tangier Island Cruises. A round-trip ticket was $28. I also got the all you can eat crab cake meal at Chesapeake House for $24. Sounds expensive but it is AYCE and on the island. Normally everything is expensive on an island. Including taxes it was $55.

Or you can totally bring a picnic lunch and eat it on the island. That sounds good too.
platoaddict
MGS Member

Post by platoaddict »

A couple of us went on the last boat in October. Very interesting little island. We walked it and managed to eat, get the caches on the island, and finish the virtual before heading back. Note that the earthcache could be challenging to do depending on amount of rain and water levels. Have fun!!
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

I've booked a ferry ride from Reedville (and back)! I did not go for the all you can eat meal. I will decide about food later.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

I've been reading all about this since it's been posted. Sounds like fun, but unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. But don't feel sad for me, because I already have my reservation for Power Island in Michigan, and on that trip I'll also be getting the oldest in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ontario, and if I'm ahead of schedule I'll take a detour to get Iowa's. Guess I'll have to plan this trip for another time.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

Georick402 wrote:I've been reading all about this since it's been posted. Sounds like fun, but unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. But don't feel sad for me, because I already have my reservation for Power Island in Michigan, and on that trip I'll also be getting the oldest in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ontario, and if I'm ahead of schedule I'll take a detour to get Iowa's. Guess I'll have to plan this trip for another time.
Sorry to stray off topic, but I'm headed to WI around the same time (but a week later). If you weren't aware, there are 3 active webcam caches all within 10-15 miles of Milwaukee. I've got those all on my list as well as WI's oldest active (GC3B1).

Back on topic... I'm hoping to make the Tangier outing, but not sure yet. Depends on whether the family approves the itinerary. Kind of thinking we might like to do an overnight to have a little more time on the island..
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

Georick402 wrote:I've been reading all about this since it's been posted. Sounds like fun, but unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. But don't feel sad for me, because I already have my reservation for Power Island in Michigan, and on that trip I'll also be getting the oldest in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ontario, and if I'm ahead of schedule I'll take a detour to get Iowa's. Guess I'll have to plan this trip for another time.
Rick - We'd happily loan you the Cache Harpoon for your Power Island trip, but alas, it has already been there. Since it came into existence AFTER our late event attended on Tangier (and since we're a lot more likely to encounter whales and other nefarious sea creatures in the bay than in a fossilized lake) we'll be taking it to Tangier. However....

LBD has been bugging us to launch a new bizarro TB, and we never used that fire hydrant in the garage for the sister cache with Boring, so if you want to take that let us know. It will affect your gas mileage though...
Que3nbe3
Former MGS Officer

Post by Que3nbe3 »

I just booked my ticket for the ferry. See you all at the docks in Reedville!