Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Notes from your reviewer

What's New And Exciting in Geocaching
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Notes from your reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Hello!

Below you will find FAQ information that I will add to this thread as things come up before, during, or after the review process. Please remember to read the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines carefully. The items in that document pertain to your cache at all times. If there are any questions, please feel free to send me an email through my profile on geocaching.com Some questions may end up on this list, but anonymity will be maintained.

Additional Waypoints
Adoption of caches
Attributes
Cache Maintenance
Commercial Caches Update
Getting your cache published quickly
HTML in cache title/placed by names
Marking a TB/geocoin as missing
Needs maintenance logs
Questionable hides
Remember off limits
Reviewer notes with info about the hide
SBA/Needs Archived logs vs private email

This list will be modified and added to as things come up.

Thank you for your cooperation!

/Q
Last edited by Quiggle on Thu May 08, 2008 6:46 am, edited 7 times in total.
Quiggle
Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer
My profile page: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=Quiggle
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Additional Waypoints

Post by Quiggle »

Additional Waypoints
When hiding mystery or puzzle caches, be sure to include the waypoints for each stage. Also be sure to use the appropriate designation in the drop-down box. If the stage is a plaque to get information, use the "Question to answer" or similar designation rather than "Stages of a multicache". These waypoints are treated differently in the review process with regards to proximity, so choose the appropriate one for your cache hide. If one of the stages needs to be adjusted slightly, please change the coordinates in the waypoints as well to protect your spot and make sure another cache doesn't get placed on top of it! There's a nice FAQ on additional waypoints at http://www.markwell.us/addwp.htm
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Cache Maintenance
The cache maintenance guidelines call for "a few weeks" to be able to take care of your cache if maintenance is needed. You can disable the listing for a bit to get it back in order, but after about 2 months you'll be getting a note on the page reminding you to take care of it. After another month, if nothing has happened, there's a good chance it will be archived. If your cache is down because of maintenance or construction to a park, etc., periodic posts on the cache page let me (and everyone else who is looking at the page) know that it has not been forgotten and what the status is. By doing this we can keep the list of "out of service" caches to a minimum. Space is already precious, don't hold up other folks from hiding caches by leaving yours unmaintained for too long.
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

HTML in cache title/placed by names
If you have any HTML in your cache titles (cache name, owner name, etc.), please remove it. The HTML is causing issues with 3rd party programs (such as GSAK) as well as other site issues and issues with people loading pocket queries into their GPS, PDA, etc.. It's a good idea to remove it yourself before any official word comes down. If this happens the cache may be disabled or archived until it is addressed. The smoothest process is voluntary.
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Marking a TB/geocoin as missing
We've all seen caches with TBs listed in them that aren't in there. Did you know that there are 2 people (other than site admins) who can mark a TB as missing? One is the owner of the traveler, while the other is the owner of the cache the TB shows to be in. As part of your cache maintenance, you should respond to logs that say a TB is not in the cache and mark it missing accordingly. It would also be helpful to the cache owner to post a note on the TB's page that you have done so, as they will not get a notice it has been done. Should the TB resurface, it can then be discovered, retrieved, grabbed, etc., as if it had always been active.
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Reviewer notes with info about the hide
Reviewer notes are no different than a regular note on a cache page except before a cache is published. Before a cache is published, reviewer notes mark the note as private and when the Publish button is pushed, those reviewer notes get deleted automagically, while regular notes are left on the page. If you have a cache that has already been published, do NOT post a reviewer note on it with important information (new coordinates for multi stages, hints, etc.) Also, a reviewer is not notified of these reviewer notes unless the cache is on the watchlist, so posting a note to "Please look at this when you get a chance" may go unnoticed forever unless attention is drawn to the log. Moral of the story is if you need to communicate with me, it's best to go through my profile.
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Remember off limits
Please remember the off limits section of the guidelines at http://www.geocaching.com/about/guideli ... x#offlimit Not much else to say about that, but if you have a cache you think might be affected by it, email me the coordinates and information about your hide before you get too excited about it and submit it. I'd rather work with you ahead of time to make sure it's legit than archive or disable it because it can't be published.
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

SBA/Needs Archived vs private email
Some cachers are NOT that keen on logging a Needs Archived log on a cache that needs it, particularly if they know the owner. If you see a cache that is in need of some help, is in a location it shouldn't be (post office, school, etc.) or hidden in a manner it shouldn't be (buried, screws in trees, graffiti, etc.) feel free to send me an email and I'll take care of it in a way that will keep it private. Such caches only cause copycats because people think these are "approved" hides when they may not be. Together we can make sure caches are hidden properly and keep geocaching in a good light.
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Needs maintenance logs
Needs maintenance logs, unlike Needs Archived logs, do NOT go to a reviewer, they only alert the cache owner that extra attention is needed. If you notice a cache that has needed maintenance for a while, feel free to log a Needs Archived or send me a note to take care of it. Nobody wants to find a cache that's had a soggy logbook and contents for several months when the cache owner could have taken care of it.
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Questionable hides
If you have a cache that you think might push the limits a bit, feel free to email me your ideas ahead of time. Sometimes caches that do get published but shouldn't have been will be brought to my attention and then disabled or archived. I'd rather not do that (nobody likes to be the bad guy) so we can work together to avoid that. A good rule of thumb is if you need a tool of some sort to hide it, secure it, etc., it most likely shouldn't be listed. This includes digging, screwing eye-bolts into trees or signs, writing or painting clues or coordinates on signs or in drainage tunnels, etc. I've got no problem disabling or archiving such hides, so please don't use these methods. When in doubt, ask!
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Getting your cache published quickly
Every effort is made to check the review queue on a daily basis, a minimum of one time but at least twice. Some things to make the process go quick and smooth are:
  • * Accurate coordinates (obtained with your GPS)
    * A detailed reviewer note explaining the location and hide style/method
    * A reviewer note about permission, including the name/contact information, particularly in <a href="http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=Parks" target="_blank">areas that require it</a> (I will check these, so be sure the information is accurate and complete!)
    * Having your <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/my/home.aspx" target="_blank">home coords/zip code</a> entered
    * Checking for proximity with other caches
The detailed information about hide location (nearby buildings, location and hide style, etc.) is particularly useful with urban hides but is appreciated with park hides as well.
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Attributes
For each of your caches, you should include attributes on your cache page. There's a menu on the right side of the cache page that will take you through it. You can add attributes like 'available 24 hours', 'kid-friendly', 'parking nearby', etc. You can even set them as 'not kid-friendly', 'no parking nearby', etc.

Without these your cache may get filtered out of cachers searches if they're looking for caches with specific attributes since caches can be filtered by attributes when creating pocket queries.

You can read more about attributes at http://www.markwell.us/geofaq.htm#attributes
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Adoption of caches
Effective immediately, caches can only be adopted if the original owner gives consent. To transfer a cache listing, a cache owner would go to http://www.geocaching.com/adopt and fill out the brief form. If you want to adopt a cache, you must contact the owner. If you are able to do so, they can use the link above to perform the adoption.

If you are unable to make contact with the owner, in the past you were able to contact your reviewer to process the adoption. As of today this is no longer the case as so-called "forced adoptions" will no longer be completed.

If the cache is in need of repair and the owner is not responsive, you can log a Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived note, or send an email to your reviewer directly.
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Updated Commercial Guidelines
Before today, the guidelines have been
Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.
Due to confusion over what that meant, there is a revision to the text (not yet posted to the guidelines page, but provided here for your information) As of today, the guidelines we are to follow are:
Commercial caches will not be published on geocaching.com without prior approval from Groundspeak. A commercial cache is a geocache listing or geocache which is perceived by Groundspeak, Groundspeak's employees, or the Volunteer Geocache Reviewers as having been submitted to geocaching.com with the principal or substantial intent of soliciting customers or generating commercial gain. The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.

Additionally, links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political or social agendas, or the inclusion of their associated logos are not permitted on cache descriptions without prior permission from Groundspeak.
The rest of the clarification, from MissJenn, is as follows:

Business names should not be in geocache titles. In cases where business names must be mentioned (in some events, for example, it may make sense to do so), this can be done in the description.

Entrance fees to nonprofit locations such as parks and other nonprofit locations are often given an exception.

Other exceptions can sometimes be granted when appropriate. Requests for permission should be sent to contact@geocaching.com .

Caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are still not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

We believe that updating these guidelines will provide our Volunteer Geocache Reviewers the latitude and discretion to publish geocache listings containing references to surrounding businesses or other relevant information in instances where those references are not principally or substantially intended to generate commercial benefit for the establishment and in instances where it is appropriate for the geocache listing.

Our general intention is to prevent geocache listings from becoming billboards for advertisers. It is not our intention to make people "jump through hoops" to avoid mentioning the name of or making reference to a movie, TV show, piece of music, sports team or other item of popular culture which is relevant to the region, state or country where the cache is located.

As always, feel free to send me an email through my profile if you have any questions! If there are any other updates, I will make adjustments as necessary.

My profile page: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=Quiggle

If you'd like to read the official announcement, feel free to browse on over to the Geocaching.com forums, the direct link to the thread is here:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=193115

/Q
Quiggle
Cache Reviewer

Re: Notes from your reviewer

Post by Quiggle »

Because of a few questions and issues recently, here's an update regarding Off Limits caches:

1. A cache is buried even if the top is not covered with a dirt. If you use a shovel, spade, etc., to clear out ground to place your container down in it, even if you don't cover it, that's buried and not permitted.

2. Using a tool / power tool to hide a cache is a no-no. This includes drilling holes for film canisters, fake reflectors, hollowed out bolts, using hammer/nails, etc. This goes for caches hidden in trees, whether they are dead or not. A cacher finding such a hide in a dead tree doesn't always make the distinction and may duplicate that hide in a live tree, so please don't do it.

With the caches along the AT being archived and geocaching discouraged in these areas, issues such as the above are often cited as reasons for not allowing them (the NPS to this day does not allow geocaching because of the misconception that the caches are buried) As a whole, and the guidelines back this up, geocachers do not damage the environment to hide their caches, so let's make sure our caches do NOT give them, or anyone else, a reason to not allow geocaches to be placed on their lands.

Caches reported that violate these will be archived, so please don't hide them.

Feel free to e-mail me through my profile if you have any questions.

Thank you!
SirCrab
MGS Member

Post by SirCrab »

Thanks to robert for allowing me access to this this thread. It took a while to shovel the 8 years of dust off of it :lol: but I plan to start posting here as needed to hopefully better communicate with the community :soapmad: :D
SirCrab
MGS Member

Post by SirCrab »

Just wanted to let everyone know I will be on vacation from June 17th thru July 11th, so in my absence the following reviewers will be watching over the Maryland queue.

honeychile
Lord Stirling
OReviewer

mtn-man will be taking care of DC.

So try not to cause them too much trouble while I'm gone :lol:
SirCrab
MGS Member

Post by SirCrab »

For those that may be interested, I thought I would post some statistics from a reviewers perspective. The 2016 stats aren't in yet but below are the 2014 and 2015 stats.

2014 Reviewer Stats

• Caches Published = 2128

• Caches Archived = 441

• Reviewer Notes Posted = 2979

2015 Reviewer Stats

• Caches Published = 2101

• Caches Retracted = 6

• Caches Archived = 555

• Caches Disabled = 966

• Reviewer Notes Posted = 3096
SirCrab
MGS Member

Post by SirCrab »

2016 Reviewer Stats

• Caches Published = 2746

• Caches Retracted = 11

• Caches Archived = 444

• Caches Disabled = 692

• Reviewer Notes Posted = 4526
SirCrab
MGS Member

Post by SirCrab »

If you're placing a cache in Maryland and wonder if you might be on private property or want to find out who owns the property, this tool is what you need. A fellow cacher pointed out this site some time ago and I use it often. It takes a little getting used to with what layers to turn on and since it uses address instead of coordinates can sometimes be challenging to locate exactly where you intend but still the best site I've found.

FINDER Online