Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Captain John Smith Geotrail

What's New And Exciting in Geocaching
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Re: Captain John Smith Geotrail

Post by Calvertcachers »

According to Cindy Chance with the NPS, they have awarded 149 CJS coins as of today. There are plenty of coins still available!

Thanks.
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

As of Friday, January 6, 2012 the NPS still has plenty of coins available!
CJS - 168
SSB -107

If you have any troubles with any of the hides, please send me a pm or email.

Thanks!
Sue
Calvertcachers @ gmail.com
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

We are thrilled with the plans for the Capt. John Smith event scheduled for Saturday, April 14th in Onancock, VA. We are pleased to announce that we will have exhibits from the Eastern Shore of VA National Wildlife Refuge, the National Park Service, the Chesapeake Conservancy, the Maryland Geocaching Society and much more!

The day will be filled with geocaching and we are happy to announce that we will have 11 new CJS hides and local cachers are placing bonus hides for everyone to enjoy. The expansion of the CJS Geotrail will take you to beautiful locations, rich in history, along the MD & VA Eastern shore. There will be four hides in MD and seven in VA.

Many of the facilities have donated items for our door prize giveaway including the Barrier Island Center which has graciously donated a beautiful Wayne Fulcher wildlife painting valued at over $125.00! Everyone who attends the event will be given 1 ticket into our door prize giveaway. Also, the first 50 people who sign the log will be given a special Eastern Shore of Virignia pathtag donated by Banshee74.

We hope everyone will be able to join us on the14th for the special event!

Thanks,
Calvertcachers
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Post by lpyankeefan »

Bumping this one to the top of the forums. :D
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Post by lpyankeefan »

Looks like this is shaping up to be a nice secondary kickoff event. Please do come out and make this a sucess!
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

To answer a few questions…

We will have passports available at the event along with cache sheets and gpx files for the new CJS hides. However, if you would like to download a copy of the passport in advance, it is available on the main CJS website here: http://www.smithtrail.net/things-to-do/go-geocaching/

I’ve posted lodging and event details here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7496

These are going to be outstanding hides, at beautiful and historic locations! Including the first ever geocache placed on US Fish & Wildlife Service - National Wildlife Refuge property! http://www.fws.gov/northeast/easternshore/

For a sneak peek…..

Attachments
CJS_Geo_Expansion_Onancock_event_PRESS_release_FINAL[1].pdf
(150.21 KiB) Downloaded 951 times
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I just spoke with Cindy Chance and she said there is appoximately:

SSB 60 coins
CJS 100 coins

remaining.

Go out and find those caches today!
DCWarrior
MGS Member

Post by DCWarrior »

It's funny you posted that today, because three of us just went to pick up our CJS coins today (Aug. 2). So, maybe they are down to 97?!?! 8) These trails have been a vlast and I really have learned a lot having done both now.
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

DCWarrior wrote:It's funny you posted that today, because three of us just went to pick up our CJS coins today (Aug. 2). So, maybe they are down to 97?!?! 8) These trails have been a vlast and I really have learned a lot having done both now.

Glad you enjoyed the trails!
Hint, hint.... stay tuned for an expansion fo the SSB in early 2013.....
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

Oh my gosh! I'll NEVER get one of those CJS coins... *sigh*... but I just got my SSB coin in the mail a few days ago! It's a BEAUTY!!! :D
DCWarrior
MGS Member

Post by DCWarrior »

OhMelli wrote:Oh my gosh! I'll NEVER get one of those CJS coins... *sigh*... but I just got my SSB coin in the mail a few days ago! It's a BEAUTY!!! :D
Oh OhMelli, you can get the coin. We were able to do the 15 needed in one long day with two adults a nine year old and a 15 month old. It took all day, a lot of driving and we got home after midnight but were able to do it. We focused on the eastern shore caches. We started at our home on the western shore that morning and headed east. We skipped the two CJS caches in Delaware and started with the two in Vienna, Maryland. We worked our way south on the Delmarva peninsula and were able to pick up the "Wildlife Refuge" cache just before the toll booths for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel in Virginia just before dusk. Then we had the almost 4 hour drive home, but still got up the next morning and went straight to the office in Annapolis to claim our coins.

Just a little encouragement to offer you to help you get it done. We had a long fun day. You can do it, too!!!
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

DCWarrior wrote: Just a little encouragement to offer you to help you get it done. We had a long fun day. You can do it, too!!!
:smt023 Go for it OhMelli!
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

As of October 5, 2012 there are 118 CJS coins still available!
You only need 15 CJS finds to earn your coin.
gordana89
MGS Member

Post by gordana89 »

I hope this isn't a silly question, but are the CAJO geotrail coins still available? :?:
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

gordana89 wrote:I hope this isn't a silly question, but are the CAJO geotrail coins still available? :?:
Pretty confident that there are still some available. Calvert Cachers will let you know for certain but I have not seen anything stating that they are out of them. I'm still working on the SSB trail!
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
SimmyJellers
MGS Member

Post by SimmyJellers »

gordana89 wrote:I hope this isn't a silly question, but are the CAJO geotrail coins still available? :?:
I just submitted for, and received my coin as recent as a couple weeks ago. One of the coolest looking coins I have seen so far :-)
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

Yes, there are still coins available for the Capt. John Smith & Star-Spangled Banner geotrails!!
ThunderbirdMM
MGS Member

Post by ThunderbirdMM »

I was just looking into the CJS Geotrail on here as I had so much fun on the MML trail. I didn't know about The Star-Spangled Banner trail. :D :D :D How exciting for there to be coins left. Strategizing now... I also can't wait for the 2013 Cam cache to come out. I didn't participate last year because I didn't know about it. I am happy somebody had this MD Geocaching Society Link in their cache right up because I see it's full of info.

Thanks!
Kelly
gordana89
MGS Member

Post by gordana89 »

We completed BOTH the SSB and CJS GeoTrails this weekend, and picked up both coins from the office in Annapolis today...they look great! :-D
We're thinking we finish up CAM 2013 then then new Smithsonian GeoTrail is next! 8O
ceeeeg
MGS Member

Post by ceeeeg »

ooooo...want to do this one!...looking into it!