Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

SirCrab Retiring As Reviewer

What's New And Exciting in Geocaching
SirCrab
MGS Member

SirCrab Retiring As Reviewer

Post by SirCrab »

With my replacement approved by HQ and beginning their training, it's time to announce I will be retiring from reviewing 10/1. With 3 years as MGS President and 5 years as Reviewer, I think it's time to fade into the background and only be heard from when you're trying to find some new _JohnnyCache hides, you know the ones in the woods that are the size of a pencil eraser 8O I may even have to revive the NITW event if I can find any areas without caches in Montgomery County :smt005

I hope to get back to attending events, finding caches and getting back to the guy no one recognizes on the trail :P

I will also be on vacation from 8/10 - 9/10 so don't think you're already rid of me before 10/1 :D

Giving back to the community is always important when they are the ones that support your hobby, hopefully I've paid forward for at least a little while.

My intend was always to ensure Maryland was seen as an exceptional state for geocaching. You don't think I wrote all those notes, disabled and archived all those caches for fun did you? :nooo:

I was glad to carry on the tradition of reviewers in Maryland so now it's up to the next man or woman in line, the pressure is now on them. I don't want to scare them too much into resigning before I get a chance to retire :lol:

:smt006
Ejwall
MGS Member

Re: SirCrab Retiring As Reviewer

Post by Ejwall »

I’m sorry you are leaving, thank you for all you did! Hope to meet you in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

Noooooooo.

I hope it wasn't me overworking you which burned you out.

I'll see if I can submit a thousand more before you retire.

I'll archive caches for you to have room to hide ammo cans, but NITW's.....that'll be a hard decision.

Thanks for all you have done. You'll be missed.
AyeeItsVictor
MGS Member

Post by AyeeItsVictor »

Nooo!

Thank you for so much you did, even though you only reviewed three caches of mine. You’ve cleared out the caches that are missing, and you are way better than any reviewer out there. I recently went to Hawaii, and let me say, there’s so many caches that are not there, the owner doesn’t do any maintenance, and they just sit there, on the map for days on end. You have been a great reviewer and sad to see you go! Thanks for all you’ve done for the community. I wonder who will be the next reviewer? And will they be as good as you?
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

I for one am sad to see you leave as reviewer but hope to see you on the trails again. You have been a huge assest to Maryland. Thanks for all you have done for the last 5 years.
mjb007
MGS Member

Post by mjb007 »

In general this is kind of a thankless job, but rest assured we do thank you, and you will be missed. Thanks for all the hard work and time spent!
WJ family
MGS Member

Post by WJ family »

While we will miss you as our reviewer, it's understandable that you'd want to move on from it and get back in the field. Thank you for all you've done, and looking forward to seeing you (if not so much the NITW).
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

You have definitely set a great example for the next reviewer! Hopefully he/she will take note and pick up right where you left off. Thanks for the great service to the hobby and the state of Maryland over the past 5 years.
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

:lol: :wink:

Being a reviewer is tough work, thanks for the time you have given back to the community!
-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
Diamondback7
MGS Member

Post by Diamondback7 »

Your patience and guidance as I have put out my own hides has made me a much better cacher --

Thanks for giving back to the community and Best Wishes and Happy Caching to you and yours into the future
Last edited by Diamondback7 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ragtop86
MGS Member

Post by ragtop86 »

THANKS for all your hard work. We are grateful for all your efforts to help caching in this area. It is very much appreciated!!!
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

In the few caches I have published, you have always been helpful to me. It is widely known that we are very lucky to have you as a reviewer - you will be missed!
Msmit002
MGS Member

Post by Msmit002 »

I'm a little late to the retirement party...

I have to say, I'm surprised. You've been a reviewer as long as I've been geocaching and I kinda just thought you would be around into perpetuity. :lol: Anyway, enjoy! And thanks for all of the help with all of my adopted caches, my new caches and all of the weird quirks that came with them.

--M
GeoAPPs
MGS Member

Post by GeoAPPs »

THANK YOU for all your hard work! Hope to see you on the trail.
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Post by hunterKat »

Like all the others, thank you so much for all you've done for Maryland geocaching. I hope your trainee follows very closely in your footsteps, because I've not seen a better reviewer. Even knowing you've been on top of things, I have been amazed at times how quickly you turn something new around. And though I haven't had many issues, you were there to guide me to publish something that didn't violate the guidelines. Hope to see you at future events or on the trail!
Difficult paths often lead to beautiful places.
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Very sad to see you go but congratulations on your retirement! It doesn't get said enough but your contributions to facilitating our habit (hobby!) and keeping us out of trouble is greatly appreciated.

Speaking as hiders who have occasionally dealt with other reviewers, not all hiders in Maryland and DC probably realize how lucky we've been to have SirCrab as our reviewer. Not a knock on other reviewers but speaks to the exceptional service you've provided to the geocaching community.

A HUGE "Thank you!" to you and we look forward to some new _JohnnyCache "Stickerbush" caches coming soon. Would love to see another NITW event! We'd be happy to post some strategic "needs archive" logs to clear out some space. (just kidding!)
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

Post by humphr1d »

Thank you so, so much for all of your service to MGS, geocaching in Maryland, and geocaching in general! It has been an absolute pleasure working with you on the caches I have placed. You took reviewing to a new level where you were so helpful with publishing and helped to clean up poorly maintained caches or abandoned caches. Thanks again for your hard work and dedication!
Bears United
MGS Member

Post by Bears United »

I'm so grateful for all of the work the reviewers do! I hope you'll find more time to enjoy the hobby now!
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

Just going through some of the older posts I havent seen & I saw this. I am sad that you will be leaving as reviewer but happy for your chance to get back in the swing of things without having to deal with all of our problems :D Ypi have been the absolute tops & always there if we needed a hand or guidance. I for 1 really appreciate your patience & know that it isnt easy keeping all of the rest of us in line. Enjoy your (semi) retirement. Enjoy every minute of it because man does the time fly. See ya at the Fall Picnic I hope......cache safe, be well & thanks again for all that you have done over the yrs. Its been our pleasure to have you at the helm...........MW
SirCrab
MGS Member

Post by SirCrab »

Well the time has finally come, as of midnight tonight I will be officially retired from reviewing and transition back to Nano in the Woods _JohnnyCache, even if I do find my glass slipper :lol:

I hope to be back out on the trails more than I have the last few years. I have so many unfound caches near my house I could dedicate 2019 to sweeping the area and maybe even dropping a few of my own :smt096

Thanks everyone for the support over the years and helping to shape the Maryland/DC area into a cache rich quality hide destination.