Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2020 Logs - Kindness Demonstration Trail

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

CAM 2020 Logs - Kindness Demonstration Trail

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2020: Kindness Demonstration Trail

You may post your CAM 2020: Kindness Demonstration Trail logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 2nd you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
Dauchsey
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2020 Logs - Kindness Demonstration Trail

Post by Dauchsey »

tazscouter wrote:CAM 2020: Kindness Demonstration Trail

You may post your CAM 2020: Kindness Demonstration Trail logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 2nd you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
This was our first CAM 2020 Cache! We left PA at 53 degrees and on our way to western MD hit 28 degrees with snow around Frostburg area! Enjoyed the walk thru the woods seeing a couple deer.
Dauchsey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
czar7
MGS Member

Post by czar7 »

FTF: 3/14/2020 - 10:40am

Well...this is a first. I have been caching for more than a decade and completed CAM 6 or 7 times (yes I should know the stats...but I don't), and this is my first FTF on a CAM cache.

I had not done CAM in a few years. I ran into Soccertoa a few weeks ago and she talked me into doing it this year! This was the first CAM I have done without my youngest daughter (DadsGLC - she is in college out of state). To keep with tradition I decided to head out west and spend the night in WVa. Then I would cache back towards the central part of the state.

I got a late start and did not get out of my hotel until after 9. I decided to head to this one first as it was the furthest west. After putting the parking coordinates in my GPS I found I had a nice 35 minute ride. I took my time and enjoyed the bright, cool morning and the spring scenery in the mountains. Along the way, I got a text from Soccertoa, who knew I was out west, asking if I had gotten FTF on this cache? As I got to the parking, I replied with a chuckle that there was no way I had a FTF on this as I had gotten to the parking almost 2 hours after CAM had started.

I entered the information into my GPS, saw that I had almost a mile long hike and headed off. I took my time. Reading signs...admiring the quiet and stark beauty of the woods just beginning to come to life after a long winter. The birds were really active, but not much else. On the way in I did not see any deer or other wildlife beyond the noisy birds.

I started getting close and after a bit of contemplation, I decided it was time to leave the trail and head directly to the cache. Getting to GZ the search was quick. I pulled the cache from hiding, opened it, found the log, and was shocked to not find any sigs in the book. I stopped...thought about it...leafed through the book...went to the end...looked at the back cover. I was astonished to find I was actually FTF on my first CAM Cache. Woot!

I traded some path tags...put everything back...calmed my heart and made my way back to the car. Along the way, I texted Soccertoa with my triumph. I also got to see much more wild life on my way back. Several deer, a fox, and an early rising ground hog. When I got to the lot, another cacher was just pulling in. I could not believe my luck.

This was a fascinating location. Thanks for brining me here and getting me my first FTF on a CAM Cache!

TFTC!
afriendofB
MGS Member

Post by afriendofB »

Our geocaching group, Seeker4Life,
Found4Life, 1Grandmama and I left Delaware early on 3/17 to begin our annual CAM trip. We referred to it this year as our first annual social distancing CAM. This was our second day. After staying at a little airbnb on Tuesday night we headed west for this cache, our first of the day and 8th for CAM. It was quite brisk and did not look nearly as spring-like as it does back in Delaware. We enjoyed the hike through the forest and found the cache with no problem.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM#5
03/21
We got a late start today, but still managed to find the two most western caches. It was nice to get out of the house and to enjoy the very scenic views on the drive. The big surprise was that it was 20 degrees colder than at home. Thankfully, both caches had enough terrain that the walking kept us warm, since we didn't have our coats.
We scored all of the bonus caches along the walk, thanks so much for placing them.
When we turned at the trailhead to go the cache, we noticed part of a possum jaw and some fur. A little further along the trail there was a lot more fur, and we were surprised to encounter a huge rottweiler in the middle of the trail. He barked at us and then ran off into the woods exactly at the cache hide location. We waited a few minutes
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

First day of doing CAM, and it is a week into CAM. The CAM kickoff I was confined to home, as we had Chloe spending the weekend with us. This trip here, was a last minute plan, after yoursunny reached out to me, asking if we should take some risk, and make the trip. I told him, if he was up for some risk, I'd be willing to go, if he wanted to go. He picked Garret County as the location, as up to this day, there has been no confirmed cases of Corona virus in Garret County.

yoursunny said he'd lower our risk level, by sitting in the back, so I got to play chauffeur all day. Before leaving, I cleaned and wiped the whole inside the car and sprayed it with Lysol. We both brought hand sanitizer , and I brought Lysol, Lysol wipes and latex gloves if we needed them.

We, at least I did, had a long, fun and exciting day. Met others on the trail, and even did some hiking with Buffalo Bob and J Patton. A big thank you to all of the hiders who not only hide the caches, but maintain them. Everyone kept their 6 plus feet safe distance, even in our selfies.

We all know it's not about the numbers, or is it? Here was our numbers for the day.

0 confirmed corona virus cases in Garret County
0 DNF's
1 Highpoint
1 smallest church in the lower 48 states
2 of my caches we did maintenance on
2 new 2020 CAM caches
6 o'clock AM - left my house
8 o'clock PM - got home
10 other geocachers we ran into
11 finds for me
12 times I've now been to Maryland's Highpoint (and I keep saying I'm not going back)
14 hours on the road
19 finds for yoursunny (as I had already found 8 of them)
23 degrees - the coldest temperature (not counting wind chill)
45 degrees - the warmest temperature
348 feet our lowest elevation
410 miles put on the geo-mobile
1,248 snow flakes
3,360 feet highest elevation
30,198 steps
46,248 tears yoursunny cried coming home, saying it was too much, before he finally fell asleep.

As for this cache, we ran into J Patton in the parking lot, so the three of us did the whole series here. After finding the second bonus cache, we ran into Buffalo Bob, so now it was four of us on the way to the CAM cache. We ran into others, who had already completed the CAM cache, and were on their way back to the car.

Of course everyone kept their distance as we all did a lot of chatting. After all of the chatting was finished, the four of us continued on, and made a find without any problems. As always, geocaching brings me to a new area. THANKS
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

Found 3/26

Started today by leaving my house at 7am to grab the two western CAM caches and redo the Frederick Walkabout. How hard could that be?!

We arrived at the Kindness Demonstration trail at approximately 10:30 (I remember because of the sign in filled in). We didn't sign out until 12:08 after finding the CAM cache and all the bonuses. Thank you for the bonus caches - that would have been a loooong drive for just the CAM cache. We didn't see another person during our entire time there, it was peaceful and serene during our walk. We all needed some quiet nature time and this definitely fit the bill.
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

Found 3/18
Great weather and midweek; great caching time!
So, Ill head west and enjoy ski country.
Spent a while at Deep Creek dropping a TB at the tower on the ridge.
Long hike; so I got here late afternoon.
Yes it was a nice stroll along a gravel road with signs ever so often, but....
This place gives me the creeps!
Excuse me, a forest has wildlife.
The only wildlife I saw were three deer carcasses.
This is a farm with fencing and turned soil and a crop managed as a product.
OK, enough of the rant. The continual chainsaw whine in the distance did not help.
Nor the cold drizzle that began and promised to accompany me all the way home.
Hey, is cynicism a virus symptom? Or just an age related milady.
TFTH & TFTC
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

(03/30/2020)
We piled in the van for a day trip to find the CAM 2020 caches in western Maryland. In a normal year, we would have booked an overnight stay, but this has not been a normal year. We brought all of our own food and water, and didn’t make any stops other than to get gas and switch drivers. We found out about the impending “stay at home” order somewhere around Hancock, and were happy we had allowed enough time to get to both CAM caches. Let’s just say we didn’t stop and smell the roses, though.. we came, we cached, and we headed home. After an abbreviated stop at Deep Creek, we took the short drive to Kindness Demonstration Trail. This place was really off the beaten path… great for social distancing. This walk reminded me a lot of last year’s CAM hike at Green Ridge State Forest. It is a pretty typical western Maryland logging road. The interpretive signs were interesting and informative, though. The walk was a little over a mile one way, and we found a few bonus caches along the way. Once we arrived, we made a quick find. The cache is a little bit overstuffed with swag, but in good order. Nice walk in a very out-of-the-way location; one of the things I love about CAM. We’ve now found 6 out of 12 of this year’s caches, but I think we’re going to hold off on doing any more until the whole COVID thing dies down and travel restrictions are lifted. TNLNSL. TFTC!
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found April 19th, 4 PM CAM #9

We'd been hunkered down for three weeks but for physical and mental well-being we made the one day drive back and forth to western Maryland to get the two CAM caches out here.

We'd already stopped at Deep Creek on the way down where we found that CAM cache and had lunch in our car. Now we arrived at the Kindness Demonstration Trail and unlike the last park where the parking lot was practically full, we were the only car here. We quickly grabbed the bonus cache near the parking but then headed down the trail to find the CAM cache. Once we arrived at GZ, we struggled to find the CAM cache. GPSr was bouncy and geotrails were all over the place so we weren't having much luck finding the cache, even with the hint. Once the GPSrs settled down we settled on an obvious spot but still couldn't find it. Finally, we just happened to pull away the correct stick and leaves and low and behold, there was the cache. Seems the last finder might have been a bit overzealous when re-hiding the cache as it was pretty well buried in sticks and leaves. Relieved that we found it, we gathered the necessary info, left some swag and re-hid, although not quite as buried as we found it.

Really enjoyed all the interpretive information regarding forestry and the tree farms. Also enjoyed the additional bonus caches. Thanks for all the hard work on this CAM cache. TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

snowsox1023
MGS Member

Post by snowsox1023 »

Found 3/26

Out for a long day of CAM caching out west with Flamingo_girl. We drove all the way west to this stop first. We signed in at 10:30 and out about 1 1/2 hours later. This was a long walk then I expected but we were happy to have some bonus cache along out travels. We didn't see another person during our entire time there, it was peaceful and serene. Thanks for the quiet time away!
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

We were there recently. About 2.5 hours. Someone had been there that day, but no one while we were there.
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

Found 5/7/20 @ 12:28 - Warning - do not follow directions on your Garmin to the parking area - use Google Maps by searching Kindness Demonstration Trail. Trust me! Parked in the designated area, grabbed the quick bonus, then headed down the gravel drive. The CO stated a bike would be beneficial - so would a golf cart.

Nice leisurely hike on a beautiful day. Learned a lot about forestry during the trip (hence the name). Cache in hand - coords right on. Dropped off a couple of pathtags (including a CAM2020) but took nothing. TFTC! Things are looking up - I hope to be done before the adjusted picnic date.
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

3/21

We finally are able to get back out on the CAM Trail. We were able to get the Western MD side done before everything with Covid going on. BrendanGeorge and AmeliaGrace was tired after the walk and had a meltdown about .5 away from the car. They were Hangry. But they did enjoy the hike.

1/10 done.

Coupleocachers
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

I always like to try to head out to the westernmost CAM cache on a pretty day. This year, there was some extra flexibility in the timing, and today seemed like it was going to be the day.

I had the trail pretty much all to myself (except for a couple of kids fishing in a pond near the cache, and they never noticed me, and except for a pair of possibly phantom hikers) and I had plenty of time to enjoy the area, take some pictures, and read all the forestry signs along the way. For a short time, a train was moving on the tracks south of me, but other than that it was completely peaceful and quiet.

I picked up the 3 bonus caches, then aimed myself at the CAM cache. Possibly overshot by a little bit, but found it pretty quickly. Left a CAM 2020 pathtag and one of my pathtags.

About the phantom hikers - as I left the cache, I swear I saw a couple of people at the last turn to the south before heading to the grass trail. I totally expected to see a couple of CAM cachers, but when I got to the end of the grass trail and turned up the gravel trail, they were nowhere to be found. Fine with me - I was completely happy to have this park to myself today!

TFTC!
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

June 15, 2020
My enthusiasm for CAM this year has taken a serious hit with the restrictions necessitated by the pandemic. Jeanne and I have managed to get most of the caches on easy day trips unlike previous years when we've done CAM on several overnight geo runs. We finally got all of them except for the Frederick wherigo and the 2 CAM caches in Western Maryland. I was not looking forward to doing a day trip for those two and kept postponing scheduling a trip, but Jeanne finally convinced me to go and we thought the weather prediction for today seemed perfect.

:pray: Indeed the weather was near perfect with no precipitation, partly cloudy skies, but mostly sunshine and temperatures in the cool 60's. We really enjoyed exploring this park, which we likely would never have done if not for CAM.

We stopped in Cumberland on the way for gas and a break and picked up a cache there. We then drove directly here and started with the bonus near parking. We continued down the road picking up the other two bonuses before arriving at GZ for this cache. I found it pretty quickly, signed in and returned it to its hiding spot before making the long trek back to the car.

Thanks for the educational hike; the longest hike we've taken in quite awhile; and the extra caches along the way.
Superchucklez
MGS Member

Post by Superchucklez »

TFTC... SL... TNLN.... CAM CAM!! Lol i’m prolly to late for the party and this isnt even the official CAM CACHE. (Copy and paste) Oh wait this one is. I’m not gonna be able to collect all 2020 CAM caches.

But leisurely collecting delorme pages and counties for MD. i’m hoping these will fill the delorme page for me out this way. Drove down from Johnstown pa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk