Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2020 Logs - Bee Tree Preserve

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

CAM 2020 Logs - Bee Tree Preserve

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2020: Bee Tree Preserve

You may post your CAM 2020: Bee Tree Preserve logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 2nd you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
dsquaredd2
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2020 Logs - Bee Tree Preserve

Post by dsquaredd2 »

The only CAM2020 we did on PI Day, Day 1 of CAM and Einstein's Birthday! Mr J and daughter joined us for the CAM and the Bonus Caches at Bee Tree. There was a bit of a crowd working on this one and we got pointed in the right direction at the start, which helped a bunch. Up, down and around and through were required to find the final. Our 4 year old got the final find! Thanks for a fun start to CAM on a beautiful day in the face of COVID. Glad to see the caches being busily located all around. Hopefully, we will continue. TFTC!
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

Found 3/14/2020
FTF with Snowsox, Gnomer, AIV, Cokelover, and Bassax.
My plans changed today thanks the COVID-19. I rolled out of bed at about 8:15 and took a peek at the CAM caches. The Bee Tree caches popped up on my alerts as they are only 12 miles from home. I called Snowsox who said her small group was headed over to Bee Tree. I left the house and arrived at parking after AIV but before Snowsox and Gnomer. Cokelover and Bassax pulled up at about the same time as Sox and Gnomer. It was a true team effort to collect all the information and get to the final and be rewarded with the FTF
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

(03/15/2020)
The family and I took the 45-minute drive up to Bee Tree Preserve today to officially kick off our CAM 2020 campaign (not counting dry runs). It was a little bit damp and drizzly when we left the house, but the weather cleared out nicely at our destination. We crossed paths with a few other cachers while here, but it wasn't crowded at all. We were scratching our heads at stage 1 initially, until the cachers who arrived just before us tipped us off that there was more than one cemetery plot here. No problems after that, and we were soon on our way to the next stage, stopping to find the two bonus hides along the way. We hopped the creek on the way in, but my wife wised up on the way back and walked a little farther along the road, where there is a bridge. With the final coordinates in hand, we burned off a few calories as we hiked back up the hill. Another trail got us close to GZ, where I made the find after checking a few potential hiding places. All is well here. TNLNSL. TFTC!
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Redrayii picked me up this morning for a CAM run to the northeast. Our first stop was the Bee Tree Preserve. We got the info at stage 1 after spending way too much time in the wrong location trying to find the stuff described in the cache listing. Eventually readjusted and headed down the trail.

Grabbed the two bonus caches, bushwhacked toward the rail trail, made a stunning gazelle-like leap across the stream, and got to the parking area for stage 2. While we were walking, CalvertCachers pulled up. We chatted a little and headed over to gather the information. I asked if we could bum a ride to the top with them - Thanks CalverCachers!

We compared answers and coordinates, and made the quick find for the cache.

TFTC!
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

Found our first CAM cache of the season. Met the Dam Trolls on the hunt and joined them for the final find. The coordinates were spot on.

Had a long talk with two members of the Presbyterian Church which sponsors the Preserve. One of them expressed regrets that the Church had allowed geocaches to be placed on their land. Her problem was that she was concerned about geocachers in the cemetery being disrespectful. There was no specific instance, just a level of concern. She also thought that there was something hidden in the cemetery. We assured her that there was nothing in the cemetery, the a visit to the cemetery was only to get some information to find the real hides which were well away. I do not think we convinced her that we are respectful and well intentioned.
afriendofB
MGS Member

Post by afriendofB »

Our geocaching group, Seeker4Life, Found4Life, 1Grandmama and I left Delaware early on 3/17 to begin our annual CAM trip. We referred to it this year as our first annual social distancing CAM. This was our second day. After staying at a little airbnb on Tuesday night we headed west. After finding the Garrett county caches, we made the long drive to Bee Tree for our third of the day and 10th for CAM. We were running a bit behind our schedule so we had already decided not to try for the bonus caches. We were struggling at the beginning, then checked the forum to discover that there was more than one cemetery. That helped. After visiting both locations and deciding on the waypoints for the final, we had a lack of agreement about our approach. Two of the group headed straight off. The other two came to an agreement and started from a different location. We went for a short walk to the cache with no problem. Finally our friends appeared winded and a bit damp from their trek through the woods and the creek and up the hill. The cache appeared to us to be about 25 feet from GZ. It was certainly memorable.
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

3/14/2020 12:58 hrs - I left Oakley Cabin with about an hour or so drive to this cache. The planning that I boasted about in my Oakley Cabin post didn't work so well. When I uploaded the files from GSAK, I typically use the SMARTName feature instead of the GC name in both my Nuvi and GPS62st. Well, I forgot to print out the cross-reference and picked what I thought was Stage 1. I'm looking for the cemetery and couldn't find it. Ended up phoning a friend who said, "Oh you are at Stage 2." Once I got right-sided, I simply began my journey there.

Then I went to Stage 1 and if I had looked at my compass when I arrived in the Parking Area, I could have saved even more time if I went to the right cemetery! Oh well, plenty of other cachers there with kids who could run and count. Soon had all the information I needed and found the prize while everyone else went to Stage 2. Left path tag and Smokey Bear 75th Birthday wooden nickel. Nice place. Thanks for bringing me here.
MersonMonkeys
MGS Member

Post by MersonMonkeys »

3/21 - CAM #4

This was our 4th and last of the day and our favorite one so far. This cache means that we collected all the "central" caches.

What better way to get out and distance ourselves from others? Geocaching is the answer!

We got here later then normal. We checked and area was open until sunset and we got on location with an hour and a half to spare.

Knowing that we skipped the extended hike and bonus cache :(

We drove to the second location first, got the information and then drive to the posted cords. We gathered all info, solved the solution, and found the cache well before sunset.

The short walk through the woods was so very nice. Thanks for making this caching experience possible!

I think you saved our lives ;)
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 29th, 3:30 PM CAM #5

After a scaled back opening CAM weekend for us, we took off last weekend to deal with Coronavirus stockpiling and to see how things were going to play out. By this Sunday we were climbing the walls and willing to take a day trip, stocked with supplies, so we wouldn't have to stop anywhere other than the CAM locations.

We arrived at the parking and grabbed the initial info. We debated hiking versus driving as we didn't want to eat up too much time and not accomplish our goals for the day but we also needed the exercise after being cooped up for a week. We ended up hiking which in hindsight was probably the right idea, even though it did take us a bit more time. We ran into some other caches who gave us some tips on how to approach the second stage. Got the necessary info and hiked back on the road due to the trails being a bit muddy from the recent rain. Didn't have much trouble finding the final.

Neat park and was welcome diversion from the current events. Didn't run into a lot of people so we were able to maintain physical distancing.

Thanks for placing this great cam cache! TFTC.
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

Found 3/19/20
Spent way too much time in Chesapeake City and got here late in the pm.
Then spent way too much time in the wrong cemetery.
Brain fog or low blood sugar; need another Snickers!
Finally down the red / orange trail and "Duh" there's others on the way!
Now this is how I like to finish up a day: heart pounding up 'n downs!
FTH & TFTC
snowsox1023
MGS Member

Post by snowsox1023 »

Found 3/14/2020
FTF with Snowsox, Gnomer, AIV, Cokelover, and Bassax.
Went to the kick off event and had no intention of going caching this day but I ran into GnomeGCer and crew who talked me into going along for the FTF at Bee Tree. On route Flamingo_girl called and said she was thinking about heading out. We all converged on GZ at about the same time. WE had a little trouble at first finding the correct cemetery but once we got that sorted out we enjoyed a hike to get the other information and the bonuses too! Thanks for the fun adventure!
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM#8
05/11/2020
Whew! We must be totally out of practice after being corona cooped up. We not only started in the wrong cemetery, but also didn’t pay attention to the waypoints. We ended up getting a much longer hike than we expected.
Even with all our missteps, we really enjoyed this cache. Many thanks to Towson Presbyterian Church for allowing the placement of this cache in Bee Tree Preserve.
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

May 26, 2020

Our original plan for the day was to do the CAM caches in western MD, but we redirected to this area after deciding we weren't up for the long drive to Deep Creek. These caches gave us quite a challenge as this was Jeanne's first extensive hiking in about 3 months as she has been recovering from a leg injury. Weatherwise it was a mostly pleasant day with a little more heat than I prefer, but overall a great adventure. Geodog Kacey had a great day in the woods and the swamp and the creek.

We started our adventure at S2 of the CAM cache, got the bonus near there and the info we needed and drove back to S1. After retrieving the info at S1 we realized we had overlooked some of the info we needed at S2 :(

We debated whether to drive back to S2, but Jeanne said she was game to try making the hike all the way back as the weather was nice and she was negotiating the trail without too much difficulty. We forged ahead and soon found ourselves on some fairly steep sections of trail, but not too bad. When we got to about 300' from the other bonus cache, we made the find there before continuing on to S2 where we had been earlier.

The rail trail had a lot of activity today, but everyone was masked and/or very carefully physically distancing. We got the necessary info to complete the calculations and headed back up the steep trail. The hike back didn't seem as strenuous as I expected, so with a few rest stops we finally got to GZ where I made the find. I was pretty tired, so I sat down on a log while Jeanne retrieved the cache and opened it and gave me the logbook to sign. We returned the cache and headed back to our car and a relaxing ride home. TFTC.
czar7
MGS Member

Post by czar7 »

Found 5/30/2020

With a beautiful Saturday and nothing to do, I decided I would work a few CAM Caches. This was my first stop of the day. I had a long day planned so I drove to stop one. Found the first item quickly and made my notes...when I went to the second item...as described...seemed to be missing. Evidence of its existence were there...but the item was gone. So I thought for a minute...looked around...and realized that the same information could be obtained from the first location (with a little thought). Sure enough...I was right! Whoop!.

So up to stage two. I made a bad decision and ended up wandering around for a bit looking at (and for) the wrong thing. Finally realized my mistake and quikcly got the info I needed. BTW...as many times as I have seen the information about Bee Tree Preserve from the NCR trail...I have never wandered up here. Thanks for brining me here. Anyway...worked out the coordinates and made the short walk to GZ.

Thanks for getting me here and TFTC!
ari54321
MGS Member

Post by ari54321 »

[Found on Tuesday, June 30th at 4:15pm]
These past few months have been very busy for me, so I probably won't be able to finish CAM, even with the extra months we've had. However, I was headed up to the Lancaster, PA area today, and noticed I would be passing right by a normally out-of-the-way CAM cache! So why not go for it? I made the stop and went for a nice hike (which quickly turned into bushwhacking through tall grasses in shorts 8O ). After romping around the preserve and gathering all the necessary info, I walked back to the car on the roads and made the quick find at the final coords. Thanks for a nice CAM cache!!
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

May 30, 2020
Headed out for the two northern most caches. We didn't see anyone else here, but we grabbed the bonus and walked the trail. It was a beautiful park. We couldn't figure out how to get to the second bonus and couldn't figure out how to get there. Thanks for the fun cache.

Coupleocachers
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace