Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM and the coronavirus

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
mjb007
MGS Member

CAM and the coronavirus

Post by mjb007 »

First off, I don't plan to get all preachy, but I wanted to bring this up.

I just read a post that kind of shocked me.
It was essentially about going out to grab CAM caches since everything else was closed.

Getting outside and into nature is probably a great way to deal with all that is going on. I really hope CAM isn't encouraging folks to do unnecessary travel, hotels, eating out; potentially exposing themselves and others to this virus.

I suggest the CAM steering group consider opening up the CAM picnic to anyone (if large meetings are allowed in 6 weeks) so that folks can be safe at home now and possibly enjoy the camaraderie of the event when it occurs.

I believe in previous years there were coins given out to those that completed. If that is still the case, perhaps those could just be dispensed via lottery to lessen the incentive to complete, or just sell them as fund raising for future events.
ThunderbirdMM
MGS Member

Re: CAM and the coronavirus

Post by ThunderbirdMM »

mjb007 wrote:First off, I don't plan to get all preachy, but I wanted to bring this up.

I just read a post that kind of shocked me.
It was essentially about going out to grab CAM caches since everything else was closed.

Getting outside and into nature is probably a great way to deal with all that is going on. I really hope CAM isn't encouraging folks to do unnecessary travel, hotels, eating out; potentially exposing themselves and others to this virus.

I suggest the CAM steering group consider opening up the CAM picnic to anyone (if large meetings are allowed in 6 weeks) so that folks can be safe at home now and possibly enjoy the camaraderie of the event when it occurs.

I believe in previous years there were coins given out to those that completed. If that is still the case, perhaps those could just be dispensed via lottery to lessen the incentive to complete, or just sell them as fund raising for future events.
I do agree with this post. And have not been caching or leaving the house. However with everything closed, parks, playgrounds, and all Rec sports, my 11 year old is going nuts. And we do have our own piece of woodland to adventure through. But we live here and hike through it all the time. I have considered taking my boy out for a CAM cache nearby to just let him explore something new and get out of the house. I’m torn. It would just be the two of us. He is typically playing Baseball AND Lacrosse right now. Those were his outlets for exercise and releasing all that energy. He is feeling like a caged animal. So I can see both sides of this equation. I do like your ideas however, I’d hate to see a lockdown on caching. As I believe we can do it responsibly with gloves and/wipes with just family. As in day trips, bringing along our own snacks/lunch etc. just felt like sharing. Thanks MDGS and mjb007 for being here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CodyHollowFarm
MGS Officer

Post by CodyHollowFarm »

CAM is totally doable in day trips to areas that are relatively spectator free. I've redone a few cam caches with my teen son. We left early and did a day trip in each direction. We stopped for gas and packed subs we made at home. We saw 2 people walking their dog.

As we have suggested, do CAM as each person feels fit and able. What worked for me and my son might not work for others. Use your judgement and proceed. As to the picnic/coins, we are evaluating and planning what we will be doing in regards to that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Stacy
Always caching, always searching....
yoursunny
MGS Member

Post by yoursunny »

Every year, I choose one CAM cache to find before the picnic.
This year I selected Garrett County and I got it last weekend.

I have government-issued hand sanitizer that I use after every cache.
Not saying any names, but I caught someone:
  • Grab hash browns with dirty hands while driving.
  • Put pens and log sheets and car keys into the mouth.
  • Not washing hands with soap and water at the lunch stop. Soap and water should be preferred over alcohol wipes.
Now I've met my CAM goal, and it's time to work on that slump goal.
Last edited by yoursunny on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

In reference to yoursunny's statement, I too noticed some bad / disgusting behavior, and I too won't mention any names.

This individual was coughing and sneezing without covering their mouth.
This individual had to me reminded dozens of times to keep that 6 feet minimum distance.
This individual kept trying to shake hands with others they met.
This individual refused my offer of latex gloves, Lysol wipes, and Lysol disinfectant spray.
This individual was also caught flushing a urinal, using their bare hands, then running their hand under cold water for about 3 seconds.

If it helped or not, myself, was spraying the car every time before getting in, and was asked to stop. I was spraying caches before and after handling them. I would then use hand sanitizer to wash my hands (out in the field), and dry them off using the Lysol wipes. Every stop which included a restroom, if a pee break was needed or not, I would go inside to wash my hands with hot soap at water, hit the blow dryer with my elbow, and open the doors using Lysol wipes. I also practiced CITO as I put all of the wipes I used in a bag, and disposed of them once I got home.

I headed home a healthy geocacher, while the other un-mentioned individual was coughing, sneezing, and crying that they wasn't feeling well. Not to say I won't catch this crazy virus from work, as some of us STILL have to go in, work in a crowded environment, with supplies that we buy on our own, as this other individual complains that they're confined to their home.

CAM on geocachers. Keep searching, have fun, and BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jdm438
MGS Member

Post by Jdm438 »

I agree with this post very much. We do CAM every year and it appears we are going to not be able to do it this year and still stay safe at least within the time limit. We are about 2.5 hours just from the Maryland border here in PA so other than the 2 Western MD caches, we would be staying at a hotel if we wished to do all of the CAM caches. I know CAM is supposed to be a time sensitive thing but maybe we can extend it just this one year so us out-of-staters can still participate/get our coin and go to the picnic.

Edit: I just saw the picnic was moved :D
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Post by hunterKat »

yoursunny wrote: [*]Not washing hands with soup and water at the lunch stop. Soup and water should be preferred over alcohol wipes.
So, how do SOUP and water work? I haven't tried that method before. :lol:
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

hunterKat wrote:
yoursunny wrote: [*]Not washing hands with soup and water at the lunch stop. Soup and water should be preferred over alcohol wipes.
So, how do SOUP and water work? I haven't tried that method before. :lol:
Trust me. You pour hot soup on your hands and coronavirus is no longer your primary issue... :dance:
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

Yesterday they closed all Maryland state Park beaches. Does that affect the CAM cache at Lone Cedar Point?
CodyHollowFarm
MGS Officer

Post by CodyHollowFarm »

I'd hazard a guess that since it's a lone point and you access through Delaware you'd be ok.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Stacy
ToeJam89
MGS Member

Post by ToeJam89 »

With the new stay at home orders, wouldn't we be breaking the law to do CAM? I am just asking because I want to get out there and Geocache too as I am going stir crazy but I don't want to get in trouble. I live in PA right outside of Hagerstown and we usually always go on a few overnight trips because to long of a drive for day trips. I am so conflicted!! I can not wait for this coronavirus to be over!! Stay safe everyone!!!
CodyHollowFarm
MGS Officer

Post by CodyHollowFarm »

It is OK to get outside and do physical activity is long as you are social distancing and in your state. Just be aware of your social surroundings, anyone you might encounter, and adhere to social distancing protocol. As always caching is something that is personal and everyone needs to decide what they are comfortable and not comfortable with in regards to geocaching. Be safe and have fun!
Stacy
CodyHollowFarm
MGS Officer

Post by CodyHollowFarm »

It is OK to get outside and do physical activity is long as you are social distancing and in your state. Just be aware of your social surroundings, anyone you might encounter, and adhere to social distancing protocol. As always caching is something that is personal and everyone needs to decide what they are comfortable and not comfortable with in regards to geocaching. Be safe and have fun!
Stacy
jerkybill
MGS Member

Post by jerkybill »

But to obtain the lone cedar cache, one must both go out of state and get to a closed beach.
CodyHollowFarm
MGS Officer

Post by CodyHollowFarm »

Then don't do it. We can neither endorse or stop you from doing it. It's an unpublished cache anyways, so the only cachers who know are the ones doing CAM. Geocaching is an at will hobby. My son will finish when he's able, unless of course he's with relatives and goes kayaking.
Stacy
WJ family
MGS Member

Post by WJ family »

Will the CAM caches be publishing May 2nd still? or will they publish on the picnic date? (Wondering how long Cachly will hold onto the saved logs.)
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

Even with the picnic date being changed, nothing else will change. The caches will not publish until the day of the picnic.

There will be a cut off period for the officers to have all of the certificates printed, usually 2 days before the picnic. This date will be announced after our next meeting.
J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Post by J.J.PEW »

Just wondering that with the changes to the date of the CAM picnic, could there be an exception this year? We had no problem with the first 2 dates for the picnic, but for this last date, we already have a commitment. Would it be possible to have someone else pick up our coin for us? We were wondering if others were in this same predicament. It’s just a suggestion.