Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Cache across MD

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

Sounds like a good plan as well, though one could argue about new caches vs existing caches. How would existing caches be handled in the case where a participant has found it already? Would they need to revisit the cache to collect the token?
-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
outsid4evr
MGS Member

Well said, Metaphor

Post by outsid4evr »

Metaphor, that sounds very reasonable! :-D

It could be maintained beyond the event rather easily, using the code word concept. The certificate to future completers is also a good idea.
I agree that the date/time should probably be divulged, so cachers can clear their calendar. It would be a shame to find all the caches and be tied down on the day of the celebration.

I was thinking of placing new caches, for the most part. Existing caches could be used, if they are quality caches, and actively maintained. As long as we picked caches from different owners, nobody would have too much of an advantage.
Joe, Laura, Elise, and Lilly Tinker
Look at our favorite caches-
http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/vie ... 28616be17e
Last Lap Gang
MGS Member

Sounds like it is time to form the committee

Post by Last Lap Gang »

Well it looks like it is time to plan for a committee to be chosen by the MGS Core and to plan a date for the meeting. I think outsid4ver should head up the committee and plans should be made for sometime in the next few months have this meeting and start getting a well formulated concept down to present on the site. Great job all. I have really enjoyed seeing all these cool ideas just jump out this week. It brings a whole new energy and anticipation for next year :D .
Wags from the Last Lap Gang!

Caching from So Md & SE PA since 2002
CCCooperAgency
MGS Member

CAche across MD

Post by CCCooperAgency »

This is really exciting! IF you're interested in adding either/both York/Lancaster Co. (Pennsylvania) to the 'event', we can get some cachers to hide some in historic sites. York City is 'virtually' untouched so far as caches & i know SBux has been eyeing it up for quite some time.

Don't forget about Cecil Co. and Elkton (MD) and Newark (DE) - you have the Dam Trolls, Metazabad & Jimmycache over that way...also, in Newark & New Castle Co. (DE) there are dww9, MikeOtt and several other fine cachers who might enjoy contributing. This is starting to look like a mid-Atlantic event.

I like the idea of spreading it out vs. making it into a 'competition'. The focal point should be getting to see new places & meet new faces. As cachers who have traversed a good portion of MD, we know there are still 'pockets' of caches which are seldom visited. It would be nice to draw more of the MD cachers into the 'fold' from these areas. This event could be the starting point.

Let us know how we can help!
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

Hmm, that's an interesting idea about making it a "mid-Atlantic" event, but I think, at least for now, we'll keep it to Maryland. I realize we do have a lot of 'cachers from PA, DE, etc. but at least for this first one, let's try to limit the scope to Maryland. :)

Any other thoughts on this?
-robert
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
outsid4evr
MGS Member

Maryland, please

Post by outsid4evr »

I would definitely vote to keep the whole cache hunt within the boundaries of the state of Maryland. After all, it is the Maryland Geocaching Society. No offense to our out of state members :-)
Last Lap Gang
MGS Member

Yes I would have to say at least to start

Post by Last Lap Gang »

The CCAers bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm but I would say to keep it within the boundaries the first time. See how this goes and maybe shoot for a larger scope the next season. One of the neat things about the Old Line state is that it is so diverse but yet small enough to attempt something this extravagant. I do like seeing others comment and welcome the thoughts that are passing through this thread. Like I said Crash and Kablooey need to try and pick a committee and a meeting time now for sometime after the holiday season but well in advance of the attended start of the event to give plenty of heads up and PR to the event. :D

Metaphor
MGS Member

Post by Metaphor »

Even though I'm from the Great State of Delmarva, my vote would be for a pan-Maryland Trail, as well. If other states were to devise their own state showcases, they could be linked in a grand Mid-Atlantic trail, with its own rewards.
"It is true, all of us are standing in the mud,
but some of us are looking at the stars."
Last Lap Gang
MGS Member

MD Only

Post by Last Lap Gang »

From Mrs. Last Lap:

Keep it to MD. Those of us who live in the middle of nowhere will have a hard enough time as it is going across the state.

Indy-Md
MGS Member

caches across MD

Post by Indy-Md »

Hi, all. I don't normally follow the threads here (lack of time, lack of time), but someone out there suggested I poke my head out of the sand, I mean, work, and look into this thread. :wink: Reading through, I saw that someone else(sorry, don't remember who now offhand) had mentioned something about a multi-cache across Maryland. I have a series of micros that kinda sorta almost do that already (in case no one here has tackled 'em all yet; they don't span *all* of Maryland, but go from Baltimore to the western corner). I put out a series of micros to emmulate the size of the Solar System as scaled to Maryland. The first half of it (from The Sun through Ceres, the latter representing the asteroid belt) are total standalones. The Gas Giants (Jupiter through Neptune) are also standalones, but you need to find them in order to do and finish the two-part multi Pluto & Charon. I did this series to give people an idea of just how big the Solar System is scaled to Maryland. If you wanted a "proof-of-concept" test to see how long it would take to do something like this, these caches could work for that purpose. :D
crashmore
Former MGS Officer

Wow great stuff

Post by crashmore »

Wow great stuff in the forums. I've been sorta taking a break focussing on <Inset gasp> non cachng stuff as of late so I hadn't checked in on this lately. It's great to see this cool idea bringing out so many great members out of hiding/lurking!

This has all the makings of an awesome event! Count me in whole heartedly. As for a comittee I agree that if willing to leed it Outside4ever has my vote to head it up.
robert
MGS Site Admin

Re: caches across MD

Post by robert »

Indy,

I've got those caches on my list of MUST DO's :D
-robert
outsid4evr
MGS Member

Post by outsid4evr »

Indy-Md wrote:<SNIP> If you wanted a "proof-of-concept" test to see how long it would take to do something like this, these caches could work for that purpose. :D
Your series was part of the inspiration for this. I found one of the outer planet caches awhile back. I have not gotten to the others yet.

It is great to get a discussion rolling in these forums. That's what makes this a comfortable place, as opposed to the gc.com general forum. :D
Last Lap Gang
MGS Member

totally agreed

Post by Last Lap Gang »

Yes in the smaller format of the MGS people want to work together to do something cool as opposed to other places where everyone wants to lead or ramrod their idea. This thread has been great because it just shows what a great group of cachers this state is lucky enough to have. If outsid4ver wants to do it then it sounds like a committee can be picked soon. I look forward to hearing more about it. We will certainly try to do the geo event next season but no guarntees with a little one under 6 months old. I still enjoy seeing it come together though because it is very cool idea. Indy-Mds Multi sounds fascinating. A great excuse for an excursion across the state someday. :D

njski
MGS Member

Post by njski »

Hey, Who's got a boat for this one?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... bmit6=Find

Ski...
Indy-Md
MGS Member

Post by Indy-Md »

outsid4evr wrote:
Indy-Md wrote:<SNIP> If you wanted a "proof-of-concept" test to see how long it would take to do something like this, these caches could work for that purpose. :D
Your series was part of the inspiration for this. I found one of the outer planet caches awhile back. I have not gotten to the others yet.

It is great to get a discussion rolling in these forums. That's what makes this a comfortable place, as opposed to the gc.com general forum. :D
Ah, so I was to blam---er, I mean, was a kindling for the idea. :oops:

I don't remember how many nominated you, outsid4evr, to lead the endeavour, but I'll happily second, third, or fourth the motion. :-) I'll try to keep up with this thread as time permits me, too, to see what evil you guys are concocting for this event. :wink:
outsid4evr
MGS Member

Interested parties check in

Post by outsid4evr »

We can allow this week to elapse before considering a date for a committee meeting. That way, interested parties can become aware of the plans that are developing. At the end of the week, we can discuss time/place specifics for a committee meeting.
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

njski wrote:Hey, Who's got a boat for this one?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... bmit6=Find
Damn. Trev and I should have hit that when we were down there. Maybe next time we go we'll use L33T_Hacksta as a raft. :smt102
-robert
robert
MGS Site Admin

Re: Interested parties check in

Post by robert »

outsid4evr wrote:We can allow this week to elapse before considering a date for a committee meeting. That way, interested parties can become aware of the plans that are developing. At the end of the week, we can discuss time/place specifics for a committee meeting.
Does that mean you're accepting this appointment that we have so graciously bestowed upon you? ;) Might give it longer before diving into it... maybe the end of December? That gives us 3 weeks to get through the holidays, come up with more ideas, and allow new people to come in. I'll try to keep the gc.com forum thread "live" by bumping it from time to time as well as providing brief updates.

We can make the decision for a time/place before then if you'd like, but having it too soon may leave some potentially helpful people out :D
-robert
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

Indy-Md wrote:Ah, so I was to blam---er, I mean, was a kindling for the idea. :oops:

I don't remember how many nominated you, outsid4evr, to lead the endeavour, but I'll happily second, third, or fourth the motion. :-) I'll try to keep up with this thread as time permits me, too, to see what evil you guys are concocting for this event. :wink:
So does this mean you're going to participate?!? :lol: These are some names/faces it would be great to see more at our events. :) It was great to see Outsid4evr at the November meeting... his "Centennial Stash" was my first cache. And I've been eye-ing Indy's solar system caches since they went up.

I'm excited about this! :smt038
-robert