Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Glen Echo Park

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
afriendofB
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Glen Echo Park

Post by afriendofB »

4/15/2018
I lived in Northern Virginia for a time but had never visited this interesting spot. This one tripped us up a bit. I think we were rushing a bit as it was raining and we overlooked an important little detail. A check sum would have been very handy. We knew something was wrong when the coordinates were well out of the park. After we discovered our error, the cache was easy tho find. Loved the carousel!
Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Post by Seeker4Life »

April 15, 2018 CAM 2018 Cache #9 Arrived at this place of many memories in grey skies and cold winds...what a difference a day will make. As found4life, afriendofB, our geopup made our way from spot to spot to gather the needed info, the rain increased from a drizzle to a more serious rain. No problem, we've got this. Except when we went for the final, we found something wrong. Oh no. After revisiting every possibility, we found a reading error, made the change and made the find quickly. We made this one twice as long as expected! Loved peeking in and seeing the carousel. TFTC!
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Coming down to the last couple of CAM 2018 caches. Arrived here this morning to a mostly empty parking lot. Made a little mistake as I left the car and headed for the footbridge, which turned out to be a non-mistake that I corrected anyway. Confused?

Visited the various locations, and had just a little trouble with one of the digits. I knew what it had to be, but I couldn’t let it go until I actually found the clue. Found it, plugged in the answers, and headed for the final.

This is #9 for me for 2018 on a beautiful Saturday morning.

TFTC!
Jdm438
MGS Member

Post by Jdm438 »

4/15/18

We awoke this morning to drizzly weather. Lake need wood and glen echo were about the same distance from our hotel but echo was a little closer. Since it was misting I made the call that we start at echo. This cache ended up being my favorite CAM cache of 2018 (or overall since this is my first CAM). This was such a neat place to visit. The rain had pretty much stopped by the time we arrived and we had no trouble with any of the stages except the arcade one. We misinterpreted the map and could not figure out the location to get the necessary info. Once we we're in the right place it was easy peasy. I was worried about the bumper car stage because that was the one everyone was having issues with but dsimcisko pointed it out before I even read the question. We grabbed the nearby virtual while we were here as well and then found the final. We really enjoyed coming here. If it was not for caching we would have never known this place existed.
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

CAM Cache #4 3/30/18: Arrived at Glen Echo Park bright and early with temps in the upper 60's already. It was actually the first time I was down to a tee-shirt since the one day in February. Strolled the park and took some pictures - I was the only one there for a long time! Had a bit of difficulty with Question A which turned out to be my error - I was looking at the wrong sign.

My dad told me stories about Glen Echo Park - he rode the trolley there from D.C.

I had to wait for a dog-walker to move on before grabbing the final. Logged find at 08:32. Left path tag - took nothing. Clearly a favorite so far. TFTC!
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

4/29 #7 First CAM today. I love this park, I was here years ago when the CAM was nearby in Cabin John. We even went Swing Dancing in the Spanish Ballroom about 10 years ago, it was great fun. Thanks for bringing us back. We don't get over this way too often becasue of the dreaded beltway. It was nice to meet Cache Boss at the final.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

This was our last CAM cache of 2018. Mrs. Cajun55 is a shutterbug, and there was a person in the photography lab who has shot such people as Jackie O and Princess Anne. So, I collected data while she chatted. I had a problem with the data, because it said the final was 42 miles away in VA. After much weeping and gnashing of teeth, I googled some of the questions, and discovered that one of my answers was wrong. Plugging in the new number brought my target into the Clara Barton area, which indicated that this was more likely to be correct. When I followed it to GZ, and there was a cache hidden in plain sight, I became convinced that the new datum was correct...
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM #11 05/04
May the fourth be with you!
We were so happy to be able to find all of this year’s CAM caches, and we saved a really fun one to wrap it up.
We had a wonderful time exploring the grounds and learning about the history of Glen Echo. I remember so well hearing the radio ads for the park on wpgc radio back when, “ Fun is where you find it...Where do you find it?...At Glen Echo Amusement Park!”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw3msyEltDY
The letterbox walked us through the best parts of the park and we learned about the new and very fun happenings there. Wow! What a fun place! Thanks for placing this excellent geocache. It is absolutely a favorite among favorites.