Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Ocean City

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Ocean City

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2018: Ocean City logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 5th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Ocean City

Post by Run&Hike »

MARCH 24
Our usual "first day of CAM" routine is to go for any on the lower Eastern Shore, plus any other caches nearby, and then plan our trips across the Bay to get the rest. Today was no exception and we found two CAM's and four others, including one unexpected FTF. Not having to cross the Bay, we only drove 147 miles today. March madness has begun!
We arrived at the listed coords just ahead of DecafSaysMoof, and worked together to get the final coords and locate the cache. Thanks to MGS and the hider for a cache in this pretty park!
snowsox1023
MGS Member

Post by snowsox1023 »

Out on the opening day of CAM with DeathwishDave and Flamingo_girl. This was our last stop of the day and our 5th CAM cache. Our day began with a FTF at Glen Echo and ended by the water in OC! Thanks for bringing us to this park. I have been there many times with my family during vacations at OC. TFTC!
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

TFTC! CAM cache number 5! It was a long haul to this point, but we accomplished what we set out to get this morning. Got home 14.5 hours after leaving the house this morning. The family knows what CAM day means :)
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

I'm not sure if I had been to this park before. It looked somewhat familiar to a previous CAM cache but I don't think this was the same park. Team Red Oak will know for sure. Encyclopedias of knowledge: those two. Good park and good cache. Thanks so much for placing this and for Snowsox, flamingo_girl, and I to enjoy.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
sharkb8007
MGS Member

Post by sharkb8007 »

This was our last CAM cache of the day (#4), it was quite the journey to get here. We pulled in and noticed that the gang we met in Deal Island had all made it together to OC. We found the GZ for stage 1 as the others were on their way out. We were able to make an easy find at stage 2 to sign the log. We really enjoyed this pretty park, and took our time getting the 4 other caches here before we left. By the time we got home, we had covered over 400 miles and more than 8 hours of driving, and we aren't even halfway through CAM. What fun! Thanks to MGS for such an excellent day, and some really fantastic caches. (Log signed as ENB608)
Last edited by sharkb8007 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
All caches signed as EnB608 :smt049
wolfspirit55
MGS Member

Post by wolfspirit55 »

CAM 2018 : Ocean City .. Followed snowsox and flamingo girl from CAM 2018 : Deal Island. Arrived with DLAnubis for a stroll thru the park to stage one. stage two coordinates in hand we made the find in short order. End of Day 1. :D
mrbee&willowtree
MGS Member

Post by mrbee&willowtree »

Find #2 of CAM 2018.
Found with: Profbrad, 74vwBusFamily, and Superchucklez

What an epic 36 hours of geocaching and road tripping! We started out by driving from Altoona, PA to Salisbury, MD on March 23 and stayed overnight to be able to attend the kickoff event the next morning. After meeting with others and getting our .gpx files, we began our journey from SE to NW. All in all, we managed to get 7 CAM caches throughout the day. In between, we found some virtuals, a webcam, and a few other high-favorited caches in parts of DE and MD.

It was about a 1.5 hour drive from Deal Island to here. Before heading to this cache, we stopped along the boardwalk so 74vwBusFamily could check on a cache he has hidden there. I (Mr.Bee) was able to find it as well. Then we drove over to this nicely-maintained park and found both stages. There weren't many other people in the park when we were there except other geocachers. Thanks for a fun multi!
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 24th at 1 PM, CAM #1

We woke up Saturday morning and soon discovered we were three tenths of a mile from the Ocean City CAM cache. Of course we're not early risers so no chance of a FTF. We took our time loading gpsrs, the wherigo and plotting our route for the next couple of days. Once we were properly fueled with bagels we proceeded to the first stage, which we had actually just stood at the previous day.

Had no problems at the first stage but we were a bit challenged at the next. Thankfully some other searchers soon showed up to assist and one of them soon made the find.

We would say thanks for bringing us here but we already spend quite a bit of time in this park as evidenced by some of our caches here. It's a beautiful park year-round and today was no exception although a bit breezy.

For any bird-watching cachers, this weekend we saw Buffleheads, Oyster catchers, Grebes and the usual suspects, Robins, Seagulls and Geese.

Thank you for placing this CAM cache! TFTC.
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

Pyro1970
MGS Member

Post by Pyro1970 »

2nd CAM cache on day 1. After going to Deal Island we drove over to Ocean City. An enjoyable walk in the park. Stopped and solved the first part and made it to the GZ. Took a couple minutes but we made the find. Signed the log and replaced. We left her and headed to Dead Freddies for dinner.
Using Tapatalk
soccertoa
Former MGS Officer

Post by soccertoa »

March 24
Out with MDSearcher and GVT1985 on the first day of CAM. This was our 2nd stop of the day after grabbing Deal Island. Long drive here, but we made it shortly after lunch time. Unfortunately the wind coming off the water made it very chilly here on the blustery March afternoon. We found the 1st stage easily, but had to hunt around a little to find the final. We then proceeded to find all the rest of the caches in the park that we didn't have yet, except the one with the terrain 5, didn't have the right equipment with us today. Nice hide and fun multi.
balloop
MGS Member

Post by balloop »

After spending multiple hours bike riding around this section of Ocean City on Friday, was very familiar with the layout of this park. Enjoyed the walking path out into the water the day before. No problem figuring out the coordinates for the final or locating the container. Thanks to the Mortards for replacing one of the other caches at the park the day before. Managed to track it down today.
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

Ocean City - 3/24/18 - The official kick off of CAM 2018. Being my wife is with me, and she's not a geocacher, but nice enough to allow me to play this crazy game and travel all over the world looking for plastic containers, I decided to be nice and skip any morning events and sleep in a little bit with her.

When my phone finally beeped with the CAM 2018 gpx file, I was excited and ready to see where are travels would bring us. It was nice seeing one just 3.5 miles up the street. Part of me wanted to slip out and shoot for FTF, but I decided to wait until my wife was ready. See...
I am a nice guy.

While she was getting ready, I was getting angry at seeing one in St. Marys County. The one county I was hoping wouldn't have one, shows up has having one. And to top it off, it's at the farthest point south. Uggggggh!!! My first thought was, I only need 10 so I can skip it. Worry about this later. Time to head 3.5 miles up the road.

Got to the park, started my walk to GZ. Get to GZ, and was more excited about the little memorial park than I was the actual GZ. A lot of little, cute objects here. Of course I had to take some photo's. Finally worked my way back to GZ, opened it, said no way, then looked around in a few places. Okay. Good to go. On to the final.

Found a geo trail going into the final area, but had a rough time finding this cache. What a way to start off CAM. with a DNF. Looked at the hint, saw two nearby spots matching the hint, but no find. Bummer. Decided to expand my search in one way, no luck. Went another way. When my GPS said 34 feet, I was ready to turn around, when I noticed something matching the hint. BINGO!!!!

GPS settled down at 28 feet, but I'm assuming into is still waking up. Second to find. Now to go and grab breakfast, spend another day in the area, relaxing and finding other nearby caches, while the rest of the crazies are going nuts looking for CAM caches. My crazy time will start tomorrow. AIO TFTC TNLN
Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Post by Seeker4Life »

3/24/18 After the CAM 2018 kick off event in Salisbury, afriendofB and I headed here for our first ever CAM cache! We enjoyed the pretty views from the walkway on this chilly morning, and were happy to find a nearly empty log book, and a shiny new cache. Thanks for the fun.
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

3/24/18 Cam find #2
Opening Day and I couldn't wait to get started! We hit Deal Island first and then headed here, knowing we could then opt for a nice dinner in OC. We got the park and found stage 1. I quickly located the first stage. I love these things! Then we headed to the GZ. After a short search, DeepDish found the cache! (We followed him from Deal Island!) This is quite an interesting little area. I felt a little suspect when we all popped back onto the walking path. It doesn't look weird that four grown adults disappeared into the reeds for a while, does it? Thanks for bringing us to this park and giving us an excuse to hit up Dead Freddy's afterward! SL TFTC
ToeJam89
MGS Member

Post by ToeJam89 »

We went to the park and found stage one but could not figure out how to get the cords for stage 2..looked everywhere...saw a lot of cool things like the memorial, garden etc...anyone else have problems? I know we are not supposed to put any spoilers but could someone message us on how we could have missed it?
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Reply sent via the forums contact system. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to contact me.

Phil
littleblkdog

ToeJam89 wrote:We went to the park and found stage one but could not figure out how to get the cords for stage 2..looked everywhere...saw a lot of cool things like the memorial, garden etc...anyone else have problems? I know we are not supposed to put any spoilers but could someone message us on how we could have missed it?
Awesnap
MGS Member

5.Apr.2018 - CAM 2018: Ocean City

Post by Awesnap »

ABOUT OUR DAY:
Cache Clown 76 and I departed Prince William County at 0315 to head east on an epic 3 CAM cache run throughout the Delmarva Peninsula. I was a bit leery about waking up at 2:30 am to go caching, but I understood the logic. When we reached our first target this morning the sun had just popped up making it easy to start our geocache hunting. Best part was we both made it home before 5pm and were able to get our kids to their after school activities.

CACHE SPECIFIC LOG:
Stage 1 was found pretty quickly, but stage 2 was a bit rough. We found the geotrail and a few things matching the hint with no find. We then split up. CC76 expanded North and I went south. I was about 30 feet from the GZ when I yelled "I got it!" We made note of the clue and headed back to my car. TFTC
ToeJam89
MGS Member

Post by ToeJam89 »

We finally found the first stage thanks to the cache owners help.
We are just old and tried to do it the easy way by not bending down!!! LOL
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Took the tour of the Eastern Shore with jlridge0929 today. I think we both were halfway toward canceling because the weather forecast for the area was getting worse and worse every day since we started tracking it on Tuesday. Even when I got out of bed this morning, we were supposed to get rain all day, possibly snow and ice. But on the other hand… CAM!

We came across from Deal Island in pretty good time. Jess drove, I navigated, and all day I only had one single solitary navigational “Oops” moment. I swear that’s true!

I spotted stage 1 pretty quickly while Jess looked around in the other 25 or so hiding spots at the same location. I wondered how long I should let her continue. Well, since it was kind of a cold raw day, I bailed her out pretty quickly and let her young eyes read the coordinates to the final.

Thought we had a problem at the final. My GPS receiver got down to about 12 feet right at something that matched the hint. Yes, we decrypted it first. Lame, I know. But we found no cache container. Went back, went further, went sideways, went in, went out, and then found the cache.

On our way back to the trail, who should appear but lpyankeefan! Chatted for a few minutes waiting for the rest of his crew to catch up. Also briefly crossed paths with tazscouter and Kitakima.

That’s 5 CAM caches for me so far in 2018!

TFTC!