Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Point Lookout

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Point Lookout

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2018: Point Lookout logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 5th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
funtime cruisers
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Point Lookout

Post by funtime cruisers »

1st CAM cache found for CAM 2018. We decided to get the closest cache location first. Found a few other cacheswhile down here. Thanks for placing a cache in St. Mary's county!
unusualsuspect
MGS Member

Post by unusualsuspect »

!!!!!FTF #1,217!!!!! Quick co-FTF with SoMDVet. No muggles in the area. Took unactivated TB. Log signed SoMDVet - UUS. All is well TFTC
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

CAM 2018 - Point Lookout - I was wondering about going north or south after that wherigo cache, and decided to head south. Why not?

Long drive, but it would have been longer if I came here from Germantown. Perfect weather. Celebrating a wherigo victory. Let's continue on.

I've been here before to get the other caches, and that was the first time I saw the old fort. Another spot I would have never known about if it wasn't for geocaching.

Had the whole park to myself. Took a lot of pictures as I walked through the fort. After that, it was down to the shoreline. I could have stayed in the woods, but I can do that anytime.

Walked the shoreline all the way to the seawall. I then decided it may be easier to step up on to the cement section of the seawall and walk it. I was looking for a good couple of rocks to step up on, when all of a sudden my next step went down. Like Elvis Presley said, "Way, Way Down".

Some how, a bunch of sand had hidden a nice size hole at the beginning of the rocks. My left leg went way, way down. In fact, it never hit bottom. What stopped me from totally disappearing, was my crotch hitting a large rock. Phew. Once again, a thanks go out to the geogods, as my only injury was my left calf, as it went into the hole, it got all scrapped up by a rock.

As always, a quick look around reveals I'm still alone, so no one saw my clumsiness. I pulled myself out, still trying to figure out what happened and how did it happen.

Got myself to the top of the seawall and made my way to the end. Stepped off, being careful this time, and made a quick easy find. On the way back i walked in the woods as I wanted to avoid the fort and see the prison pen. It was interesting to read about it, but the fort is better to see.

Back to the car, and will call it a day. AIO TFTC TNLN
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Day 1 of CAM:
April 1, 2018

1 Cam Down, 9/10 to Go. We decided to head down for this one since we were in Leonardtown for easter dinner with family. It was about 7 when we arrived at the park with a few other muggles nearby. The gorgeous sunset was beautiful along the water. We've been here before, so its always nice to head down here. Thanks for placing the cache.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
ameliagrace
MGS Member

Post by ameliagrace »

April 1, 2018

Found with Mommy and Daddy. I got to ride on daddys shoulders the whole way. He made me get off on the trip back he said it was starting to hurt his shoulders, must mean I'm growing. I traded a hulk key chain for a dora toy. Yay 1st CAM cache done.
thewoodenradio
MGS Member

Post by thewoodenradio »

Looking at this list of logs it appears that I missed the 'crowd' of cachers here on Easter Morning.

Made the hike around the fort, found the cache then returned through the fort so I could log it too. All the time to the mournful sound of the Smith Island Lighthouse's foghorn.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

We took advantage of the kids’ day off school to tackle the southern Maryland leg of CAM 2018. This was our second stop of the day after a visit to Eastport. It was a long, but uneventful drive down to southern St. Mary’s County. This was my second visit to this park, but the first for my kids. We parked at the designated parking waypoint, which is posted as 30-minute parking for touring Fort Lincoln. Ours was the only vehicle there today. I had already “found” the virtual as well as the nearby SSB hide, so we headed straight for the CAM cache after briefly revisiting the fort. They have done a really nice job reconstructing the buildings here. The wind was picking up as we walked along the seawall to GZ. The footing was a little bit tricky here, but the cache was a quick find. Great hiding place! We signed in, looked through the swag, and re-hid carefully. Afterwards, we visited the lighthouse and beach, where my son and nephew took a very brief and ill-advised swim in the bay. Apparently, the water was a little bit cold. ;)

This was our 6th CAM find this year, with Western Maryland and Eastern Shore still to go. We won’t be getting to those for a couple of weeks, though. TNLNSL. TFTC!!
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

4/8/18 - Point Lookout
Wow, that was a drive! I hail from northern Howard County and it took 2.5 hours. But I had to checkout other caches on the way home. A chilly Spring weekend does not attract too many folks to this part of MD. I definitely would not have survived the conditions as a Civil War POW here bunked out in only a tent! Cache was secure and log was dry. TFTC
Bocco
MGS Member

BRe: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Point Lookout

Post by Bocco »

CAM#1 04/09/18
We moved a week ago and have been wondering if we would get to do any of CAM this year. Point Lookout is our closest to home, so we took an unboxing break to enjoy a lovely day in Southern Maryland. While we were out in the area, we happened upon a local artist who has an incredible body of work. It is fun to be able to decorate our new house with local Maryland art, painted by an artist we met on CAM, and all of it Maryland landscape art.
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

CAM #1
Had to travel over 300 miles RT to get this one, but it was well worth it. I was involved in geocaching training a group of Cub Scout leaders in Prince Frederick, MD; so I decided to trek on down to Point Lookout from there. I met a caching family from York, PA, so they had to travel farther than me. Passed another cacher duo, but I failed to introduce myself. It was a beautiful day, and I retrieved the two other caches at Point Lookout as well as caches along the way home ending up at a caching event
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
polkadotmomma
MGS Member

Post by polkadotmomma »

Our seventh CAM cache! Drove 3hours down and 3hours back to grab this one. Really cool place since hubby and I love history. Smalls enjoyed watching the waves crash against the rocks. Tftf!
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

We got to this one Saturday. Due to the distance, it was an all day trip for one CAM cache. We ended up parking at the fishing pier and walking over to the trail, and on to the cache. On the way back, Shirley went along the trail to get the virtual cache at Fort Lincoln and the SSB cache too. I drove around to the parking gz, and picked her up. We grabbed a micro cache at the confederacy memorial on the way out. Great time, great weather, long drive...
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

THURSDAY, APRIL 26 - 11 of 11 - We're done!
We had hoped to combine Point Lookout with at least one other CAM cache so we wouldn't have to make the almost four-hundred-mile round trip across the Bay for just one CAM cache. Sadly, we never could match free time with good caching weather at Point Lookout and another CAM cache, so we finished up at Rocky Gap on April 12 with ten CAM caches found and Point Lookout still far away and unfound. This week we decided the scenery "down there" was worth the trip, so we left Pocomoke at 5:40 this morning and crossed the Bay. The weather there was perfect for caching and we got home twelve hours later having logged our eleventh CAM Cache, an SSB cache, a Wherigo, the Point No Point Lighthouse (HV6510) and ten other caches--a worthwhile day.
Today brings our CAM 2018 statistics to 1,814 miles driven and 16.76 miles walked.
Thanks to MGS and the hiders for a nice walk in this scenic, historical place!
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Came looking for this cache earlier this morning. I had been watching the weather for a few days, and it looked like today was going to be the best. Definitely worked out. After the morning fog burned off somewhere in Calvert County, the rest of my time in Southern Maryland was beautiful blue skies.

I made the find pretty quickly, then spent the next 2 ½ hours just wandering around, taking some pictures, reading some signs, and flopping down on a folding chair on the beach. Very relaxing time, and I really needed that.

Odd coincidence - on March 23, I was talking to a co-worker about the Wincopin trails in Savage, MD. I said that I always liked places where bodies of water meet. The far tip of these trails is at the confluence of the Little Patuxent and Middle Patuxent Rivers. The very next day, March 24, I downloaded the CAM 2018 files and saw that I’d be going back to Point Lookout. Saved it for last.

This make 11 of 11 CAM caches for 2018.

TFTC!
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

4/14/18 CAM Cache #10: It took a little over 2 hours to go from Eastport to Point Lookout. The park was not too crowded and I was able to park in the designated area without difficulty. I remember seeing posts from friends picking up polished glass and stones along the beaches. I passed through Fort Lincoln on the way to the cache. I must admit that I did not know that the fort was there. In CAM 2012, the lighthouse was open and I met Eunice Knott who lived at the lighthouse from 1939-1952. Found at 11:17. Left pathtag. TFTC. Picked up some colorful stones on the way out. This was my final cache. My plans to get to OC were canceled and I simply did not have the time.

Overall, I failed to get 1 CAM Cache and 7 bonus caches for various reasons - mostly due to the lack of time. I want to thank all of those fine folks that take the time to place caches for our recreation and enjoyment. Thanks MGS!
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

It took about 2.5 hours to get from Columbia to Point Lookout. The day was sunny and bright, although a little chilly. We picked up the CAM cache, the Confederate Cemetery Wherigo, and AYE AYE Captain on the way home. That last cache is a must see if you are in the area. This gives us 10 total and we are now finished! See you at the picnic.
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

4/29 #8 We are finally getting close to completion. Was a gorgeous day it was to be here, the temps were cool but the sun was shining. It was just a bit windy. I enjoy being near the water and we saw a group of deer as we were leaving the park.