Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Havre de Grace

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Havre de Grace

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2018: Havre de Grace logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 5th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Re: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Havre de Grace

Post by lpaulriddle »

Similar to last year, we decided to head northeast to get started with CAM 2018. I’ve been to Havre de Grace several times over the years, but this is the first time I have cached here. My son and I arrived fresh after completing Elk Neck and eating lunch at Wawa. It was great to revisit the promenade and the lighthouse (which is also a benchmark, incidentally). Surprisingly enough, we did not encounter any other cachers while seeking out this one or any of the nearby bonus caches, and given the chilly weather, there were not many muggles out, either. Couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful day, though. We had no problems gathering all of the necessary info, and once I corrected my requisite math error, our checksum worked out as well. No problems locating the final container or opening the lock. This was a great walk through a beautiful section of town. Two down, 8 (or 9) to go… TNLNSL. TFTC!
sharkb8007
MGS Member

Post by sharkb8007 »

Our first year of CAM. From the teaser map, we had planned to head north from Baltimore to Cecil County first and to swing around the North side of the bay to get to whatever was on the Eastern shore. This worked out fairly well as when the caches were posted this one was right along our planned path of travel. We got to the parking lot and met DLAnubus and Wolfspirit55 from PA, who had also just arrived and were getting their bearings. We helped each other out and got through the clues pretty easily. Math checked out and luckily the final was pretty easy to spot. Got the CO-2ndTF and took a clown nose and a 2017 CAM pathtag. It was a beautiful morning, albeit a little chilly. Got the Duck Bonus Cache afterwards as well. This was our first time to Havre de Grace, and we plan on coming back in the summer to get some more caches and explore the area.(log signed as ENB608)
Last edited by sharkb8007 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
All caches signed as EnB608 :smt049
wolfspirit55
MGS Member

Post by wolfspirit55 »

CAM 2018: Havre de Grace After a quick breakfast at MickyD's, DLAnubis and I return to the marina at Havre de Grace. Teamed up with EnB608 for the stroll along the promenade. Collected all digits to find GZ and the LOCKED cache. Open and signed and returned. Nice morning stroll to and from the parking lot. :D
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Came here on Saturday 3/24 after the CAM 2018 cache in Elk Neck. Wandered around reading all the signs, not just the ones I needed. Talked to a couple of people just walking around about completely random things like trains, duck hunting, and bootleg whiskey. One of those days, I guess!

After I gathered all the necessary information, my checksum didn’t work. Uh oh. I tried to cheat a little. Obviously the digits in the year were going to be right, but there were two digits that both could be off. Doubled back and realized that I miscounted. Now I had a good checksum, so I poked the coordinates into the GPS receiver, and made the walk to the final.

TFTC!
mrbee&willowtree
MGS Member

Post by mrbee&willowtree »

Find #4 of CAM 2018.
Found with: Profbrad, 74vwBusFamily, and Superchucklez

What an epic 36 hours of geocaching and road tripping! We started out by driving from Altoona, PA to Salisbury, MD on March 23 and stayed overnight to be able to attend the kickoff event the next morning. After meeting with others and getting our .gpx files, we began our journey from SE to NW. All in all, we managed to get 7 CAM caches throughout the day. In between, we found some virtuals, a webcam, and a few other high-favorited caches in parts of DE and MD.

As far as scenery goes, this cache might have been the best of the day. The views of the inlet were spectacular on this fine spring afternoon. Along the way of clue-gathering, we managed to find a few benchmarks, which is always a bonus. We all enjoyed the hide for the final. Thanks for an enjoyable walk and a nice history lesson!
soccertoa
Former MGS Officer

Post by soccertoa »

March 25
Out with MDSearcher and GVT1985 on the 2nd day of CAM and we decided to head north. We hit this cache first just as it starting snowing with a vengeance on us. Fortunately it wasn't sticking, but it didn't make for a very pleasant walk as we were gathering all the info needed to get the final. We easily found all the information we needed and found the final quickly. This was a fun field puzzle, but I would have enjoyed it much more if we had had better weather. We were able to grab all the CAM bonus caches before heading up the road to get another CAM cache. Nice puzzle.
Superchucklez
MGS Member

Post by Superchucklez »

One of the many stops that the JAGA crew made (Profbread, MrBee, 74vw, and i).... The CAM '18 series was the goal with a few webcams, virtuals, lighthouses, and various cache types along the way.... Made the find while meeting various cachers at each cache....

i've been to a couple fall picnics but never been to a CAM series kickoff party. I heard a lot of hype from profbread n the V W bus from their previous trips....

i never looked into these cuz i never have been able to get around to these... even with a bad knee these were fun this year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WVKiwi
Former MGS Officer

Post by WVKiwi »

3/25/18

Since we didn't get the earliest start this morning and ultimately ended up detouring a bit so that Saberspark77 could make a find of the 2011 CAM cache at Jerusalem Mill, it was nearing mid-afternoon by the time we reached Havre de Grace. It was a bit blustery and cool but otherwise a nice sunny day. We collected information smoothly while passing quite a number of others staring at their phones. Seems Pokemon players were having some kind of competition or gathering of some kind all around the shoreline today. As a result, no one paid us any mind. We successfully got all the numbers we needed including for the lock and soon were marking cache #3 of 11 complete. We grabbed one bonus cache and then finding ourselves unsuccessful making a third find nearby, decided it was time to head onwards to Elk Neck. TFTC! :D
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

MARCH 27
On March 24 we found the two CAM caches on the Lower Shore. We left home today at 5:50am to get the two CAM's at the head of the Bay. After logging both CAM's, five Bonuses, nine other caches and three Benchmarks, we got home around 6:30pm, after driving 307 miles on our second CAM trip.
We thoroughly enjoyed the walk along the promenade, and the interesting information on the signs, but were a little concerned to see construction underway ahead of us. Sure enough, there were active workers . . .inside a yellow tape barricade . . . where sign #five was supposed to be. Happily, we saw the sign, upside down, leaning against a bench. We were able to lift it enough to get our answer and move on. Nobody spoke to us or even seemed to notice us. After getting the combination, we both walked right by the cache, hidden in plain sight. Thanks to MGS and the hider for a scenic walk and a clever cache! This gets a Favorite Point!
Four found, seven to go!
Last edited by Run&Hike on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

CAM 2018 - Havre de Grace - On our way here form Point Lookout. Decided to take a slight detour to get 1 of those 6 covered bridges for a CAM Bonus. Another wherigo, but I'll give it a shot.

Bridge 1 went will. Over to this cache. Grabbed some scrap paper and an extra pen. Didn't want to be halfway completed and have a pen die.

Once again, another park to myself. It wasn't until I was almost at the end when I ran into some contractors. Wouldn't you know it. One of the signs I needed to read, all of the boards from the boardwalk had been removed.

As I was trying to zoom into the sign with my phone camera, one of the contractors asked what I was doing. After explaining to him about geocaching and what I needed, he laid his tools down and slowly worked his way out to the sign.I told him what I needed, he gave me an answer, and I asked him if he could double check as I'm good for overlooking certain items. He was nice enough to look a second time, and he gave me the same answer. Good enough for me.

Finished up all stages, and headed across the street to work on the combination. You know how happy I was when everything was right and worked? Usually I screw up somewhere, but this time everything went will. Made the nice find. AIO TFTC TNLN
hornowl
MGS Member

Post by hornowl »

What I enjoy most about geocaching is going to interesting places. This interesting little town is a good example of that. Warm and overcast day made for great walking too. We enjoyed the short stroll to this one and was as described.
polkadotmomma
MGS Member

Post by polkadotmomma »

CAM cache number two! Today we met our fellow geocachers on the hunt for victory. What beautiful views! Tftc, we had a blast!
Awesnap
MGS Member

30.Feb.18 - CAM 2018: Havre de Grace

Post by Awesnap »

ABOUT MY DAY:
I am working my way North from Northern Virginia today to join up with my family in Newtown, PA for Easter Weekend. Driving up a day later helped since I had to work Thursday, but also so that I could drop off Paddy the Geo-Dog at my Aunts house in Pasadena, MD. Driving solo also made it convenient to stop for the two northeast CAM caches ( CAM is for Cache Across Maryland for those of you not yet in the know! ).

On a side note as of this morning I was sitting at 296 Planetary Pursuit points, so grabbing any points along the way would help me get to 500 faster.

CACHE SPECIFIC LOG:
Man, I got soaked.

I pulled up at the CAM Parking Coords and the sky opened up and a hard rain came down.

Dang.

Normally I would just give up and move on, but I needed the CAM cache. So I grabbed my poncho out of the trunk, my cell phone water protector thingy, and started my walk to all of the stages. By the time I got to the lock combo stages the rain had stopped. By then it was too late... I was a dripping wet mess.

I removed my phone from the case and took off my poncho and found the lock numbers. Finding the cache was a breeze after that.

I stopped at the parking coords food joint for a burger before continuing North to Elk Neck.

TFTC
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

TFTC! Came out on a wet and rainy day to get the two Northeast CAMS, which are the closest CAM caches to my personal gz. I used to spend a fair amount of time here when this side of the County was my home base. Don't get here much anymore, but it is beautiful! I nice tour of the beauty HdG has to offer if you know where to go. My mother in law loves the antique shops here - me....not so much. Thanks for the tour!
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

4/1/2018 - CAM 2018 cache #3.

I chose to visit the CAM caches in this part of Maryland today as they weren't too complicated to get too. I was out of town last week and didn't have a lot of time to prep for this weekend's caching. I was also able to score a GeoVexilla Flag - Turks and Caicos Islands on the way home.

I took the stroll alone the boardwalk and gathered the required information along the way. It was a relatively nice day for the walk. Once I had the final coordinates and combo, I made the hike over to GZ to make the quick, easy find. The area is very picturesque. Thanks for showing it to me again. TNLN TFTC
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

4/5 CAM #3. Mr TRO was solo today and decided to cache north. He enjoyed the walk in the sunshine but he said the boadwalk is under repair so he walked as far as he could to gather the information then back tracked and walked around to the other end and walked in as far as he could to gather information. He was able to get everything he needed to sign the log book.
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

Did the Havre de Grace CAM on Monday. The boardwalk is being repaired and is closed to traffic for a short stretch near the Maritime Museum. There is one sign that is not accessible due to the construction. The number of crabs is 1.
Gcw151
MGS Member

Post by Gcw151 »

A bit cold and dreary today but it was still an enjoyable walk along the bay. We had to take a slight detour halfway along the Promenade because there was some reconstruction of the decking going on. Still, we were able to get all the info needed to finish the cache.
Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Post by Seeker4Life »

April 3, 2018 After finishing the CAM 2018 Elk Neck cache, our wet trio (plus geodog) ate our sandwiches in the car as we drove to Havre de Grace. If I've ever been here before, I don't remember. Because the weather was so dreary, we had the area to ourselves. I always enjoy reading about these historic towns and buildings. So we took photos, and wandered along the boardwalks and found lots of information and then found the cache. Picked up a bonus cache too, but we were ready to head home, so only did the one bonus. Not winning any races, but really enjoying the CAM--this is #4 for me. TFTC!
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"