Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: Algonquin Cross-County Trail

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: Algonquin Cross-County Trail

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2019: Algonquin Cross-County Trail logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 4th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
Bocco
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: Algonquin Cross-County Trail

Post by Bocco »

CAM#1 03/16
We chose the furthest from home cache to start our CAM this year. After loading up our gpx files and some snacks for OldBay15, we drove nearly 200 miles to the parking coordinates. We had just parked when we saw a group returning from the trail. They turned out to be our neighbors - the lovely Pony Lover’s parents and also Schwandt, who were retuning from the cache. After 14 years of camming you would think we would have figured out how to carpool! It was great fun to chat with them and we enjoyed our hike to the CAM cache and the two bonus caches. We even found some DamTrolls on the trail and they shared their salt water taffy from the St. Patrick’s Day parade with OB15. OB15 traded a pathtag for a troll eraser.
Thanks for placing this fun cache.
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

Saturday, March 16 - CAM Day 1
Our first day of CAM began at 6:39am with an unexpected FTF on a local cache that published Friday night. When CAM published at 8am we quickly loaded the nearest CAM cache--this one, its bonuses, and some local AR_ and other caches to fill our day and hit the road. We parked here at 10:08am and enjoyed the walk to GZ and the quick find, surprised to see that we were third. Then we enjoyed finding the two bonus caches. Thanks to MGS and the hider for a great CAM cache to begin CAM 2019!
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

03/22/19 - Worked my way to this one today. After finding older CAM caches all morning, I was running behind schedule. To try and save time, from the nearby BONUS cache, I decided to bushwhack. What a mistake that was. The bushwhacking wasn't too bad, but it came to a point where it was a swamp for as far as I could see.

Standing there, staring at water in all directions, as far as the eye sees, with the cache about 280 feet in front of me, I decided to get wet. Nothing I could do. Water went above the boots, feet got soaked, so I just kept chugging along. Once I got to GZ and found the cache, the smiley face made me forget about my cold feet. A new park for me.
Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Post by Seeker4Life »

3/25/2019 Headed out for our third day of working on CAM 2019 today starting with this cache and associated bonus caches. We were happy to be walking on a trail on a sunny day, and glad the trail wasn't too muddy. Enjoyed my first visit to this area. TFTC!
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"
sharkb8007
MGS Member

Post by sharkb8007 »

3/30/19 - After getting Wye Island earlier in the day, we reached the Algonquin trail with a few hours of daylight left. The caching was quick and straight forward. Thanks to some information from Wooden Radio we knew exactly where to park for this and the caches were found quickly and effortlessly. On the way back to the car we bumped into Gr8Caches, and chatted a little about our CAM experiences to date. We love meeting new cachers on the trail. We even managed to go find the nearby 2006 CAM Cache after getting this one, and after dinner came back to find the Night Cache, which was a first for us and a fun experience. Thanks to MDGPS for bringing us to this beautiful spot on a day with beautiful warm weather AND no mosquitoes - a great combination.
All caches signed as EnB608 :smt049
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 30th, 5 PM CAM #10

We were on our final CAM run to the eastern shore to get our last two CAM caches. Today was an absolutely gorgeous spring day for caching. Temps were in the mid-seventies and the sun was out.

Nine down and one to go! We'd been to the nearby Furnace Town but never to this park. We pulled into the lot and ran into GR8caches who we'd seen back at the Wye. We set off to find the CAM cache together and totally forgot to stop at the Bonus cache on the way out. This was possibly the most pleasant day you could hope for to go hiking in the woods in Maryland. No bugs, no humidity, no heavy summer overgrowth. With the four of us we made quick work of finding the cache. YEA, we have finished CAM 2019! Thanks to all of the hiders and the MGS officers for such a great event!

Only one mortard grew up in Maryland but it never ceases to amaze me all the places that CAM takes you that you've never seen or never would have seen were it not for CAM. Thanks for the CAM!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Post by J.J.PEW »

What a nice area! This was #9 for us. Just 1 more to get. We enjoyed the walk and all the caches, even retrieving one of the bonus caches out of the water. Thanks for bringing us here. On to #10!
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

Found 3/27/19 -- I love to cache; hate the paper work. Stayed at Wye Island way too long so got here late with waning sunlight. Got the two Bonuses on the hike in. Wind is whispering in the pines and I expect a hiker, jogger, or dog walker any moment. But, no one appears and I have all the time in the world to enjoy my last CAM cache of 2019. Thanks for the ride! Cache secure and log was dry. TFTH TFTC
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

We took a 2-night mini vacation to Ocean City this week, and stopped here on the way home to find the farthest remaining CAM cache from home. I remembered this general area from visiting Milburn Landing for CAM 2015. I also noticed that there is a still-active hide from CAM 2006 nearby. We did not get to that one today, but I hope to in the not-too-distant future. This was a very typical hike for the area, featuring abundant pine trees and greenbrier vines. They both seem to love the acidic soil. As the listing promised, we managed to find our way to GZ with no bushwhacking. Just had to be patient and stay on the trail. No trouble making the find, and all is well with the cache. Fortunately, we did not run into the dreaded GoatMan today. This was our penultimate CAM 2019 cache, with just McKeldin remaining. TNLNSL. TFTC!
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

04/12/2019
Jeanne and I planned a few days at the Broadkill Writers' Resort and planned to pick up the two Eastern Shore caches on the way. However, we got a later start than planned and only had time to get the cache on Wye Island on our way down. So on Friday, with most of our scheduled tasks at the house completed, we took the afternoon off to drive to this park.

After getting one of the bonus caches, we made our way to this one. Took a minute, but soon had the cache in hand.
This was the last of the CAM caches we needed to complete this year's CAM run. A little sad to see it come to the end, but looking forward to the picnic. TFTH.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

After leaving Wye Island, where markbarb and I found the CAM 2019 cache, I drove over here. We had some vague plan of touching base with each other when the first one arrived. I arrived first and got myself organized to head down the trail. I was pretty much picking up the phone to give them a call before getting out of the car when they pulled in next to me.

After finding the first CAM bonus cache, we continued on to this one. Found it pretty quickly, signed our names, dropped in a couple of path tags (CAM 2019 & mine), recorded the information, and wrapped it all back up.

This was CAM 2019 cache #10 for me - looking forward to poking my info into the super-secret decoder!