Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: Green Ridge State Forest

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: Green Ridge State Forest

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2019: Green Ridge State Forest logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 4th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
mortards
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: Green Ridge State Forest

Post by mortards »

Found March 16th at 1 PM, CAM #1

We'd setup home base in western Maryland a bit further west of the CAM cache than we had hoped. This required us to double-back northeast about an hour and pass a burning car on the highway in the process. The driver was not in the car so everyone was fine... except for the car.

We ran into some other folks from Pennsylvania at the parking so we all proceeded towards the cache. It was a nice brisk walk out to the cache today is it had turned much colder from the previous days' 70+ degrees temps and the sun hid stubbornly behind the clouds for most of the walk. Our friends from Pennsylvania made quick work of spotting the cache and we soon had the log in hand.

As we are spending the night west of here this will be our only CAM find for the day but we enjoyed our first CAM cache and look forward to another one tomorrow. Thanks for placing this CAM cache. TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

This year, we decided to start out west, and I had made reservations in Oakland, Maryland, as I promised the CO of GC16CD1 that I would do maintenance on is cache. I wanted to leave on Friday after work, but the wife wanted to leave Saturday morning. Happy wife = Happy life. I was hoping to to get a lot of caching in Friday evening, but that wasn't going to happen.

Then our leaving at 0600 hours became leaving at 0645 hours. Never fails. The wife is never on time. Then again, all of this worked in our favor. As we were on I-68 west, at 8:02, the email came through with the GPX file. Our next exit was 15 Mile Creek Road, and we pulled off so I could download the files to my phone. Once that was completed, we opened them up, to see we were 16 miles from one of the CAM caches, So we continued on our way, going north on 15 Mile Creek Road.

Once we reached the parking coords, there wasn't a car in sight. We noticed that the gate was open, and there was a sign stating that cars only with a handicap tag / placard was allowed beyond that point. Being my wife is physically handicapped, we drove it, thinking we'd find closer parking. It got to where we was 100 feet away from the cache that we stopped. I ran into the woods, found the cache, and brought it back to the car. My wife is Chloe's geocaching partner, so if she can touch the logbook, we add Chloe's name.

First ones to sign the logbook, and just as we put everything back, we ran into a father / daughter caching team. Dang it. I forgot his geocaching name, but I couldn't forget his real name as it is Richard. We told them we'd co share FTF with them and had them sign the logbook.

Unlike the Mortards, there was no back tracking for us. If we left Friday night, or at 0600 hours, this one would have had to wait until we were on our way back home. We made Oakland around 10:30 am, saw a Wal-Mart. Dropped the wife off there, and I went to Herrington Manor State Park, did the maintenance on the Letterbox cache, and continued hiking and cleaned out the park.

Tomorrow, the plane is to clean out Swallow Falls State Park. Monday morning, we'll start heading back east.
jerkybill
MGS Member

Post by jerkybill »

3/17- Couldn’t make it on day one. Early morning hike- taking the trail as opposed to the straighter road. I’m well familiar with the area. Word to those who are waiting for warmer weather... this area is ripe with ticks and bears as well as the occasional copperhead... so wear repellent and keep your eyes open.
I highly recommend the Twin Oaks/ PineLick loop trail- it’s not difficult and takes you through some of the best minimally touched areas of the forest. Well worth it.
The cache coordinates are nearly spot on. Traded a wooden nickel for an old CAM pathtag.
mrGreen317
MGS Member

Post by mrGreen317 »

On 3/16/2019, the first day of CAM, I thought I'd try to get at least one. The past two years, I have started later in the CAM season, but this year, I thought it might be fun to try to get in at least one CAM cache on the first day. I received the CAM files by email from littleblkdog at my home computer, and then I studied over them for awhile since my wife was out for breakfast with her father, and our daughter was sleeping. The teaser map had said there would be at least one cache in Allegany County, directly south of Altoona, PA via I-99/US-220, so this was probably going to be the cache to grab. Once I studied the best means of approach south of Bedford, I headed out just before Noon, arriving at a JOE cache close to 2pm and then to the parking for this cache.

I was not the cacher from PA that mortards ran in to (they were here earlier in the day - I wonder who else from PA was down here today?) , but I did spot some other cachers coming towards the cache after I was walking back. I took the purple trail through the woods meandering up and down the ravine (a workout) to get to the cache, but I took the mostly-level road back to parking.

It was a very nice afternoon walk in the woods, and a great way to get the CAM kicked off this year. Many thanks to ProdigiousOne for the nice fix-up at the nearby already-published cache (and I'm assuming the eventual CO for this CAM cache?) The Ron Swanson calling card in the other cache made my day, and I had to send a photo by text to my good caching buddy back home - we had recently been discussing Parks and Rec... Looks like I have some Swanson-themed puzzles to try to solve in the future...

I enjoyed reading the other logs on this thread, so I thought I'd add my own... the last two years of CAM I have not used the forums, but maybe I will this year...

Can't wait for the next CAM cache I can get out to find!

mrGreen317
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

3/17/19 Missed the Saturday kick off but wanted to make sure I at least grabbed one this weekend. I remember caching these woods for CAM 2009 and then again with friends in 2012. I decided to take the purple trail in and hike the road back. I truly hope folks are not disregarding the sign to use the road which is for handicap placard only. I saw at least one car go back without such markings. The park is watching vehicles if you notice the photoelectric posts past the gate. Hate to see opportunities ruined. Beautiful day with temps in the low 40's. Logbook was on page 3 when I put the pen to paper at 13:42 hours on 3/17/19.

Traded small items. You will see wooden nickels and/or pins celebrating Smokey Bear's 75th Birthday this year. Oddly, LPYankeefan shares a birthday with Smokey (August 9, 1949). Well maybe not the year but the date. I also dropped a personal path tag.
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

TFTC! CAM cache #4 on opening day. We seriously are a bit deranged..... Southern CAMs all the way out to this one and then hopefully hitting Emmitsburg on the way home (we did).
Not another soul in sight as we hit this cache at about 5:30 pm on opening day. The ride out was long and eventful. While stopping for gas, we learned something - one should never try to forcefully shut an automatic sliding door. Bad things happen. Three hours from home. We managed to work it out, voted to not use that door anymore and were again on our way to Green Ridge. We opted for the road approach to the cache. We still wanted to hit Emmitsburg and time was winding down on us. GPS had us pass the cache on the trail and circle back to it - not too bad and gz was easy to spot. Maybe someday I will have more time in this forest - today was an in/out mission.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

With my kids camping last weekend, we had to wait until week 2 to start CAM this year. Today, we drove west to Green Ridge State Forest, and detoured through Emmitsburg on the way home. I had visited this general area just last summer, when I found [CAM 2009- Fifteen Mile Creek](https://coord.info/GC1NQWM) while on the way to Pittsburgh. Nice to explore a different section of the forest. I would love to come back some time and spend an entire day hiking here. It is a beautiful area. We parked near the trailhead and hiked about 0.75 mile to GZ. My son arrived first, and once we all caught up to him, we found the cache quickly. All is well here. TNLNSL, and noted the all-important code. We were the 5th or 6th finders of the day. We didn’t see any cachers on the way out, but passed JPatton on the way back to the van. This was a great way to kick off our 5th CAM. TFTC!
MDscramblers
MGS Member

Post by MDscramblers »

Headed westward today to get Green Ridge and Emmitsburg. Keeping with our tradition of getting good and lost on the way to the parking coordinates in Green Ridge State Forest, we seriously muddied up the truck as we drove on a dirt road past widely-spaced campsites. Once we made it to the parking area, it was a quick walk in along the road, and a more scenic route out on the purple-blazed trail. We enjoyed the quiet of the place--only hearing sounds of nature. The drive out was uneventful, and we ventured on to Emmitsburg.
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

3/24/2019 - CAM #7 - I spent the day caching with Soccertoa and littleblkdog and his namesake Midnight. This was the first find of the day for us and we met a large group at GZ once we arrived there. This was a very nice and easy walk out to GZ. Traded a few stories and pathtags while at GZ, then moved on. On the way back to the geo-mobile we ran into DecafSaysMoof - nice running into you guys. Traded some more stories before continuing on. TFTC
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM #3 3/24
Oldbay15 led the way to the cache and made the find all by himself. He was absolutely thrilled about that. He traded for a snowflake ring which he lost on the trail and was sad about that. It was fun to meet so many cachers on the trail. It was a busy cache out here today.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

We got this one on Day 2 of CAM 3/17.
Because I am handicapped, we were able to drive within 200 feet of GZ.
Such a beautiful park for rustic camping.
GratefulDave
MGS Member

Post by GratefulDave »

We looked at the sky and against better judgement we jumped in the truck (which we were glad to have) and went West. Turned out to be a beautiful day for a hike (we took the purple trail On the way In). We encountered friendly fellow cachers near GZ for the first time. We didn’t know what to do. We humbly approached with apologies for not being invisible. Nice to know that Kindness prevails on the trails. They gave us passport and picnic tips and we parted with smiles. Great Day in the forest.
Dauchsey
MGS Member

Post by Dauchsey »

3/30/2019
We started down from Pa early afternoon and arrived around 4PM. The weather was fantastic for a hike in the woods! We had sunny skies and upper 70’s temp with an occasional breeze. The trail was quite easy to follow to the cache. This is our first find for CAM 2019. We have completed this for numerous years and have always enjoyed it! Thanks for all your efforts in making this a huge success every year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

3-24 Cam cache #4. This was our main objective for the weekend since is probably the only overnight weekend that Pegasusmoon , Pyro1970, and I all had available! It timed out perfect because we ended up being able to link up with some of our good friends for the hike to the geocache! It was a nice hike that went by quick in the company of friends. We ran into soccertoa, littleblackdog, and SFChaz. We saw decafsaysmoof as we hustled back to car. We had a schedule to keep to get pyro to his daughters dance competition. Thanks for the nice walk!!
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

Monday, April 1. CAM #3, seven to go!
Today was the first day of our third CAM trip and we had left the Eastern Shore early to get this and Emmitsburg. Knowing the trails we'd be doing in the next few days [we ended up walking 15.5 miles], our knees and hips opted to walk the road to GZ instead of the trail, a round trip of 1.82 miles. Thanks to MGS and the hider for an easy find to start our caching day!
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

Found 3/26/19 - Boy, am I late with the logging stuff! Just love to cache; hate the paper work! I am doing CAM on a weekday to avoid the weekend cache hoards! I drove in on the dirt road and the puddles were mostly gone with a couple of muddy spots. Nothing that a minivan couldn't handle. I read the description later and learned that there was a nice enjoyable trail down by the water to the GZ. Unfortunately, I read my GPSr and took the fire road to the GZ. Opt for the trail. The fire road is bordered by a timber clear cut on one side most of the way. Dead terrain - dead brain! Does not promote an enjoyable outdoors mindset. TFTC
J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Post by J.J.PEW »

Yeah! We just finished our first CAM by finding the cache at Green Ridge SF. It was a very nice walk on a beautiful day. We found the cache easily and traded swag. We also found the nearby cache. Thanks for placing all these caches. Even though we've lived in Maryland all our lives, these were 10 new places we've never visited. Thanks for all your hard work. Now, on to the picnic!
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

04/04/2019
Teamed up with the Portlywalker and Deep Concern on a daytrip to get the CAM cache here. Weather was almost perfect with mostly sunny skies and mild temperatures. We probably took the most rugged road to get to parking, but it added to our adventure.
Found the cache easily enough after the long hike and then continued to the other cache farther down the trail. Took the better road on our way out of the area. TFTH.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

I left the house this morning looking at gray skies. Didn’t bother to check the weather - I was going to Green Ridge State Forest no matter what. Arrived at the parking coordinates and saw some blue sky starting to break through. By the time I was half a mile down the trail, it had turned into a beautiful day.

Took the purple trail both ways. The extra workout felt good, and the stream crossings were fun. Found the cache easily, recorded the code, and headed further down the the Twin Trails cache.

Dropped a CAM 2019 pathtag and a joejackson pathtag.

TFTC!