Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: Beverly-Triton Beach Park

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: Beverly-Triton Beach Park

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2019: Beverly-Triton Beach Park logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 4th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
joejackson
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: Beverly-Triton Beach Park

Post by joejackson »

I rushed out the door this morning because I couldn’t let opening day go by without finding a CAM cache. I did, and I came home, and started getting ready to head to a memorial service. In Edgewater. Ended up with a few free minutes, so I started looking ahead at what CAM had in store for us this year. Wait - that thing on the map looks pretty close to Annapolis. So I dug a little deeper and realized that the funeral home was just a few minutes away from Beverly-Triton Beach Park. Scrambled to pack a change of clothes, make sure the GPS receiver was loaded, jumped in the car and went.

When I parked, I realized that I had not actually picked up the GPS receiver after loading the GPX files on it. Sat there trying to figure out if either of my phone geocaching apps would let me insert a new waypoint. Couldn’t figure it out. It never occurred to me to download the data from either the MDGPS web page or the dropbox - duh, that would have solved my problem. Instead, I decided to use Google Maps to navigate by walking to the coordinates. That was not my best decision. Well, there I was, just found the Bonus Bay View cache, looking at a fat blue triangle closing in on a little red dot. Anybody remember geocaching in the early 00’s? That was me today. Really hard to tell when you’re getting close. Checked a couple of spots, and came up empty. For a moment, I considered just sitting down and waiting for the next geocacher to come along! But then I saw something. Something that didn’t just seem right. I walked over, and found the cache! Maybe I am starting to get the hang of this whole geocaching thing after all!

Dropped a CAM 2018 pathtag.

2 CAM 2019 caches found!
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

TFTC! Second CAM cache on CAMDAY! Had a great time in this park! The views were awesome and something about the shore in this area reminded me of where I grew up on Long Island. I loved the beach - nothing like that here in Harford County..... Nicely done caches with some great company!
Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Post by Seeker4Life »

March 16 found4life and afriendofB and I were driving home after a long trek at ACLT when we decided we had time to go for this CAM cache. We enjoyed a lazy walk in the woods, but went out to the water before we went back to the car. The osprey was in its nest, the sandy beach was filled with driftwood, and the sun was dropping in the sky. What a pretty place. Thanks for bringing me here.
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

03/23/19 - If my math is correct, this is my 8th find. Along the way I've found a lot of older CAM caches that I still wanted to find. I've lost count on how many older ones I found. As for this one, don't know why, but I was having a hard time. For a large cache, and with a hint which matched the area I was in, I just wasn't finding this one.

After walking in circles for who knows how long, Big315Red and her family showed up. It wasn't long before their young ones found the cache and I have no idea on how I missed it. After that, I spent the rest of the time in the park with them grabbing the BONUS caches and a couple others.

Once again, a new park for me.
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 23th, CAM #5

mortards were up and out early (for mortards) today as we had a list of four CAM caches we were hoping to get. We had two down and two to go and daylight was burning. In the interest of time we headed straight to the CAM cache. This was a beautiful peaceful spot by the lake. I don't know if it was the afternoon sun shining in my eyes or the stunning views of the lake but somehow Al managed to walk right past the cache on the first pass. We circled back around to where we had started and at this point I was getting nervous... but then as I shielded my eyes from the sun I was able to spot the culprit. We took care of our business and despite being short on time, we took a walk out to the beach to take in the spectacular views. Clear evidence of spring appeared as we spotted an Osprey flying overhead with a fish in its mouth and another one on a nest out in the water. We managed to grab a bonus cache nearby before heading back to car and onward to our next objective.

Thanks for placing this great CAM cache! TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

03/16/2019 - CAM #2 - On this first day of CAM, I linked up with a crew from the 2019 CAM Kick-Off: South event. Our crew was Fyregypsy, JL816, Snowsox, flamingo_girl, CodyHollowFarm, benlorma07, GnomeGCer and myself and we signed the non-CAM caches with MD Hounds to save space.

After completing the CAM 2019: American Chestnut Land Trust, we continued on to this area. We grabbed a few of the bonus caches while on the way to this cache. The park had lots of people in it today. Nice hide. TNLN TFTC
acadiacats
MGS Member

Post by acadiacats »

Sunday March 24th, Warlock's birthday! This was our second stop of the day, but we were at American Chestnut so long that we didn't arrive here til 4:40. But the day was beautiful and despite Warlock almost drowning in the river by the raft and me almost expiring on the ground from thirst earlier in the day (see my log for Am Chestnut), we forged ahead and after maneuvering into a tight parking spot in a tiny lot, we made our way easily to the CAM cache, signed and left a few goodies (TN) and then in some sudden spurt of energy we decided to go for the two bonus ones as well. (The level ground thankfully gave our aching knees a bit of a break). Both bonuses were nicely hidden and one, (Sidewalk End) reminded us of one we had found about 5 years ago in western PA that had us stymied for several hours before we spotted it-so this one brought back some good memories. Saw the osprey on its nest out on the marker by the breakwater. A bit muddy in places but it could have been a whole lot worse after all the rain we have been inundated by recently.
Nice spot, another one neither of us had been to before today. Now it was even later, we had one more goal in mind, Ft Smallwood Park, we HAD to get that one in today because we would be driving almost past it to get home. But the sun was getting lower in the sky.....(continued on FSP log)
J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Post by J.J.PEW »

We headed to the park this morning and were the only people in the parking lot. We headed down the trail to GZ. The trail was messy in spots from the rain, but the cache was dry. We made the grab and then found 2 other caches in the park before heading out. Beautiful views of the bay from the park. It's a shame that the park is not in better condition. We've never been here before so thanks for bringing us to a new park.
AltaPete
MGS Member

Post by AltaPete »

#3 for this year. Did this today (Friday 29th), main cache first then bonus's. No other cachers as far as I could tell, lots of fishermen. Osprey seem to be just getting started.
-- Pete
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM #5 03/31
We arrived in the parking lot at the same time as Gr8cachers and were delighted to meet the fabulous Shenandoah. She is quite a beauty! This was a classic CAM experience, a beautiful walk with friends in a great location that we would otherwise have never experienced. The bonus caches are a must as they take you to some extra special views.
Thanks for placing this exceptional CAM cache.
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

3/18/19 Wow, I getting way behind with my cache logs! Decided to wait till a weekday to miss the rush on the first CAM weekend. Arrived mid-morning and the parking lot was full! But, it turned out to mainly be a good fishing day. So plenty of fisher-muggles. Decided to loop the lake CCW and pick up several other caches before going for the big one. By the time I had completed the loop, most everyone else had left the park. Great start to CAM and a great park to visit. Thanks for all the elevated walkways. Mostly kept my boots dry! TFTC
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

Tuesday, April 2. CAM #7, three to go!
Today was the second day of our third CAM trip. We came here after finding Patapsco Valley and Fort Smallwood, and hit most of the trails to find the CAM and five bonuses. We considered the last two bonuses, but decided to find closer parking, which actually worked, and we found the last two and headed for our motel. With the CAM and seven bonuses logged we had walked 2.70 miles. Thanks to the hider and MGS for bringing us to this Park!
Last edited by Run&Hike on Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

4/6/19 CAM #6 2337, This is a very nice park. I will have to come back since I left my pen in the car and had nothing to sign the bonus caches with. But it doesn't matter since I will not have any issues enjoying more of the park. Thanks for the hide in a lovely park.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

Arriving at parking, we headed out toward the farthest bonus first, but took a wrong turn, and ended up at the nearest bonus. Proceeded to the main event, and thence to the farthest bonus. On the way back to the car, we ended up taking a long way around via the beach trail, but we got it done.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

We took advantage of the kids’ spring break to head to O.C. for a quick 3-day mini-vacation, stopping for a couple of CAM caches along the way. We stopped here before heading over the bridge. I had never been here before, although we have cached not too far from here at SERC. The trails were a little bit muddy after last night’s storms, but still passable without too much trouble. We saw a few moms with preschool-aged kids on the trails, but no one else, and in particular, no cachers this morning.. not too surprising for a Monday. The wind was really kicking up, especially as we got closer to the water. I overlooked the cache on the first pass, but my son made the find. Nice hide in a scenic location. TNLNSL. TFTC!
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

03/30/2019
Jeanne had a change in plans for the day and it was such a nice day, so on the spur of the moment we decided to make the drive here. It was a nice sunny day and just cool and breezy enough that a light jacket felt good. We decided to hike the route in a clockwise direction and that turned out to be a good choice.
I like the way the caches here were laid out so that they could all be gotten in a fairly sequential order, with just a little backtracking, depending on how you laid out your route.
Nice bunch of caches. TFTH.
Tripmeister
MGS Member

Post by Tripmeister »

Devildog and I searched for about an hour on Sunday towards the end of the day. We passed cachers on the way out of the park that said "Well, it's there." So we really wonder if it may have gotten muggled. There was a party of fisherman and kids picnicking right next to GZ. This is the first CAM cache that I have not been able to find over the years.

The park is beautiful.