Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: A Tour of Emmitsburg

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: A Tour of Emmitsburg

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2019: A Tour of Emmitsburg logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 4th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
Snurt
MGS Director

Re: CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: A Tour of Emmitsburg

Post by Snurt »

Kicking this off, I left Bagtown (nr Hagerstown) at 6:15 am, was the first to arrive at Panera Bread Frederick, yes FTF. HunterKat graciously hosted, laid down the law, took a few names and lots of phone/gpr's for CAM-loading. Great group here. The anticipation was palpable.

Then off to Emmitsburg (been speeling it wrong all day, and I live nearby...sheesh) where I encounter Buffalo Bob, Als Guide and Always Lost. We worked our way easily through the fascinating stages. At the three-cluster (one parking), we found the good Mother's acreage to be blustery and frigid, though sunny under baby blues. Needless to say all of us made wardrobe adjustments for the following stage.

Bob made the discovery of the final. Logging ceremonies ensued followed by noting of the secret squirrel stuff. This was a well-laid adventure. Thanks to MGS CORE and the cacher that placed this gem.
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 17th at 4:45 PM, CAM #2

Today we headed back home from western Maryland with the goal to grab the Emmitsburg cache. The first few stages went quickly except for the dog park where you look a little odd when there are folks with dogs there... and you don't have one. Eventually we got the needed piece of info and we headed over to the Shrine. It was rather busy over here today as there was a St. Patrick's Day concert here. We ended up going into the visitor center and seeing the inside of the Basilica which was quite impressive. We'd highly recommend if you have some time to go through the visitors center to give you a better appreciation of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton and the Shrine.

We finished up the remaining stage and soon had the coordinates in hand. Had no issues finding the final coordinates and the cache. Did our business and then headed for home.

Thanks for the tour of Emmitsburg! We really enjoy having one of these "city tour" caches as part of CAM to add a bit of diversity. TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

TFTC! CAMDAY Cache #5. The final cache of the day for us. We drove to as many stages as we could. Stage 4 was the toughest, not where one would expect to find this object. We made quick work of each stage and used the texting method to secure the final coordinates. Final was easily found, signed and returned. At this point my mind is a blur. Snowsox delivered us all to our respective park and rides and we all went on our merry ways. Happy CAMday to all and to all a good night!
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

03/19/2019 - We left Western Maryland yesterday and started working our way back east. We was in no hurry, and I was trying to grab all of the older CAM caches, from years past, that are still out there and I haven't found yet. Some were off the beaten path but we found what we wanted to. We ended up in Hagerstown around 7:00 pm, and instead of going another 45 minutes to get home and backtrack tomorrow morning, we decided to stay in LpYankee territory.

This morning we picked up the old CAM cache in Frederick (2004), and then worked our way over to A Tour Of Emmitsburg. Out of all of the stops, the 3 stops around the Shrine were my favorite. Really enjoyed that place. Did more walking then necessary, but that was my choice. As I was walking the grounds I saw some neat and interesting things. Took a lot of pictures. Did get the information I needed at all 3 stops, then decided to go inside the Shrine and Basilica. Beautiful. I asked, and they said take all the photo's you want. Took plenty more, but no selfies on the inside :)

After the Shrine area, we hit the other stops, punched in our answer, and got the green light. Got 100 feet from GZ, and was wondering if this was the correct spot. Took a look at the hint, and said okay, we're in the correct spot.

No problem with the find. Mrs. Georick has therapy and a doctors appointment tomorrow, and then we'll be heading out east. Brand New CAM caches = 2. Old CAM caches = 9
J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Post by J.J.PEW »

We've driven by Emmitsburg, but have never taken the time to explore so this cache gave us the opportunity. We had a great time visiting all the stops. We got the final coordinates and made the quick grab. We exchanged swag before heading to Candyland down the road. Thanks for the fun day!
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

3/22/19 - With the day-long rain yesterday and the high winds today, it seemed the best thing to do was to stay out of the forests today. So a town stroll. Albeit, a brisk one. Had to stay to the paved areas since everything else was flooded.

I bike around here in the summer months, but, mostly bypass the downtown and stay on the small surrounding roads. They have been doing construction on Main Street for years! Quick way in and out of Main street is on Creamery Rd.

Various stages were straightforward and even the Text-to number worked on my antiquated flip phone! Final was a surprise but I approached and soon spied the location. TFTC
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

With my kids camping last weekend, we had to wait until week 2 to start CAM this year. Today, we drove west to Green Ridge State Forest, and detoured through Emmitsburg on the way home. The drive took us past Catoctin NP and Cunningham Falls, where we noticed quite a few people out, in spite of the rather brisk weather. I had previously only been to Emmitsburg once, to visit the Firefighters’ Memorial. After collecting the info at stop 1, we parked the van in town, fed the meter, and walked to the rest of the stops. If not for the bridge construction, we probably would have walked the whole thing. Other than the wind, it was a great day to be out, and we had already spent enough time in the van for one day. [:)] We especially enjoyed stops 4, 5, and 6. I held my breath when I plugged my answers into Certitude, and was happy to get the green light. The final was well placed, and is in good condition. Nice tour of town. TNLNSL and noted the code. We didn’t look for any of the other caches here, but that gives me a good excuse to return. TFTC!
MDscramblers
MGS Member

Post by MDscramblers »

Puzzled our way in and around town, enjoying stops 4,5, & 6 the most. Would have liked to have spent more time around the historic buildings, but daylight was running out. Verified via text, but had to double-check once we got close because we were afraid we might be on private property. Followed to GPS anyway, and quickly found the cache. Left our usual for CAM 2019 and took nothing. TFTC.
topazfae
MGS Member

Post by topazfae »

My daughter is addicted to geocaching but for only few hours at a time. I decided to trek to Emmitsburg, towing my daughter and my pup. We started at the stop 1 and immediately saw the stuff that we need to see but discovered that my poor pup barfed in the car - good thing, i decided to put sheet on the seat since I knew it would be muddy today due to all rain that we had within last few days. After cleaning up and we got the stop 1 and asked my daughter to read the question (she's only 8) and tell me the answer (I knew the answer already because I counted before she joined me up). She said she is not too sure because there are too many persons - I told her to read the question again. She finally got it. Then we went off to the stop 2. easy find! Then we went to stop 3, it was so cold and I let the dog to play in the dog park - unfortunately, there is no other dogs around for her to play with. Then we went to stop 4,5,6. Stop 6 is complicated - leading me on a goose, walking around the campus and was puzzled but I met up few cachers! I decided to do stop 5 and 6. Before trying to find stop 4 again. Eventually, we found it - that was a trick. Jeez. I actually looked at like 10 statues! Then stop 7 - the final stop before getting the final coords was easy find as well and had my daughter to figure it out. Took her a while to understand what she was supposed to look for. Then we went to the final and I was not sure if we should have parked there but we zeroed the GZ and there were 5 cachers coming after me :) . Signed off as topazfae and liltopazfae :) . Took nothing but planned to drop off the TB but my daughter couldn't find it and I found it but didn't want to trek again :)
Diamondback7
MGS Member

Post by Diamondback7 »

On a 30 cache day -- with two CAMs found (3of7 total), I thoroughly enjoyed the sites here, even though I was at times going in circles. That said, I would be totally remiss to say that if you do not visit the Fallen Firefighters' Memorial, https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5 ... s-memorial, you are missing an opportunity to see something special.

Thanks CAM for bringing me out this way.
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

3/24/2019 - CAM #8 - I spent the day caching with Soccertoa and littleblkdog and his namesake Midnight. This was the third find of the day for us (2 CAM 2019 caches and The Original Washington Monument Virtual) Collected the information we needed while on the tour and made the find at GZ with no difficulty. TNLN TFTC
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM #4 3/24
This cache brought back some very fun memories of CCCooper. For many years she hosted a wonderful Christmas time event where she placed a ton of caches that a great group of cachers spent an entire night out finding. This was way before the time of geo-trails. We did the one in Emmitsburgh in 2008(?) and were star struck to be hanging out with the great cachers Hobodude and Gaiterman. We found 61 caches that night!
Thanks for this very fun tour of the city. We even went on the FEMA campus to visit the Fallen Firefighter's Memorial and we also visited the Basilica. There is so much here in Emmitsburg. What a wonderful cache.
GratefulDave
MGS Member

Post by GratefulDave »

I work next door to stops #4,5,6 so i pecked at this one at a leisurely pace (during lunch hour of course). Great tour of a historic little town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

3/23 CAM cache #3
Found with Pegasusmoon and Pyro1970. I've been to Emmittsburg before, but never been to the areas on this "tour.". Stop 4 was the most surprising because we didn't expect to find this out here! I loved stage 6 and wished I had time to see all the stations of the cross. The final was a little creepy with the vultures nearby, so we grabbed it quickly! SL TFTC
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

Monday, April 1. CAM #4, six to go!
Today was the first day of our third CAM trip. Stage 1 was in sight of where we ate tonight, where we bought gas, and our motel! Nice! At stop 3 a friendly dog walker smiled, pointed and said, "You need to go there!". We weren't prepared for the beautiful, scenic location of the next stops! Wow! That place is impressive. With new coords, we soon had the final in hand. We had walked 1.54 miles gathering information. Thanks to MGS and the hider for bringing us to this beautiful place! While you're in the area, if you're craving pasta, check out "Carleo Italian". It's not fancy, but the food is great with huge portions!
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

4/7/19
On a beautiful sunny day, Jeanne got home late this afternoon, but we decided we had enough time to go get this one. Took a little longer than expected, but the weather was great and we enjoyed the walk around the campus. It wasn't the best timing for Stop 3 as everyone with a dog was there. As we approached GZ we weren't believing where we needed to go. We started to walk away when someone called out to us and pointed out where we needed to be. Someone else asked if we wanted the answer; it seemed as though every dog owner was in on the game!
The sun had set by the time we got to the cache, so we didn't get any additional caches in the area before heading home.
TFTC.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Today was my CAM day for this weekend. I spent the day in Emmitsburg locating the CAM cache and several others in the area. Picked up the first couple of stages, then found a couple of other caches, then refocused back on this one. I took the shortcut over the creek (maybe not the intended route) from stage 4 to stage 7, and stopped right there to verify my answers. Texted my string of letters… and got nothing. Uh oh. Wisely, I wrote down everything I needed and didn’t necessarily have to revisit any stages. I double checked to code letters, hit stage 7 and just about felt like banging my head on the table. Instead of writing down the real code letter from the right side of the = sign, I wrote down a single letter from the pairs on the left side. Corrected that, sent the text again, got an immediate response, and hopped back across the creek.

For some reason, my mind refused to let me consider the parking close to the cache as valid. No idea why. I looked at a longer approach, but that seemed like private property. In the end, I parked in a business parking lot that was mostly empty (even though the business was open) and made a short walk to the final location. Yes, through the best parking lot for this cache!

Left one joejackson pathtag and one CAM 2019 pathtag.

Cache #6 of CAM 2019 for me.
Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Post by Seeker4Life »

April 15, 2019 Working with a CAM 2019 crew of three, we finished Green Ridge (the long way) after a long drive from the Eastern Shore. Looking at the time, we realized that we needed to get to our cabin to check in, so we did that first. Then we hightailed it toward Emmitsburg to begin our tour. We really enjoyed our tour, although due to the time crunch, we did parts of it in the car. Loved walking the beautiful campus and enjoyed the historical bits and pieces too. Our dog loved the dog park because there were no dogs there and she was allowed in for once (she is not dog friendly, and so never gets to enjoy dog parks). Got to GZ in good time, and headed toward our cabin and a place to find food. Another interesting and well-done cache. TFTC!
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"