Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: BOOM! - MGS!

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: BOOM! - MGS!

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2019: BOOM! - MGS! logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 4th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: BOOM! - MGS!

Post by J.J.PEW »

We found this cache on March 16, 2019. It was a beautiful walk on a beautiful day! Thanks for bringing us here!
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

3/17 CAM # 4 2318, After spending way too much time up at Stepping Stone, Gracie and I came down here. Parking was tough but we eventually managed it and made our way to the cache. At one point I was confused I thought I missed a turn or something because I was 225 feet or so to bushwhack but I noticed I had a waypoint in my GPS I missed. I thought perhaps it was a cut off trail so I walked back a bit and heard noise when we investigated we found Trev and Jen and a group signing the log on a cache I found back in Dec 2013. They confirmed we did have to bushwhack about 225 ft to the cache so I walked back with Trev & Jen. I let Gracie off leash for a few and she went for a quick swim then got into trouble for not listening to me and back on the leash she went. I was a nice hike out here today.
HalfwayHome2014
MGS Member

Post by HalfwayHome2014 »

Well another successful day on the trail with my daughter. We rushed out of the house and drove across the county to hike with the Dog. We enjoyed our walk and spotted a herd of deer. Probably the most I have seen at one time. We looked at the swag and signed our name.

It was a good day.
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

BOOM!!! That's the sound each rain drop made as they hit me and the ground. I made a mistake here, as the rain let up as I parked the car. When I was halfway across the bridge, it started coming down in ammo cans. Being I was already soaked, as I've been playing in the rain all day, before coming for this one, it was pointless to go back to the car,

I walked faster, then started to run, trying to get into the woods. Finally made it into the woods, and that didn't help. I didn't have my GPS with me, and was relying on my phone. Ha. We all know how a phone works when it gets wet. It was hard drying it off as all of my clothes were soaked. Don't tell ProgKing, but my BVD's were still semi dry, so I was using them to dry my phone off.

I was sliding more than I was walking, and I finally reached the old R R Tracks. I walked them for a while until it was time to bushwhack. Then there was a hill. Don't know how I made it down the hill without taking a fall, and the next thing I know, I'm on flat ground again. Didn't take long to find GZ and retrieve the cache, but I really didn't want to open it as the rain was coming down hard. A normal cache, I would have just taken a photo of the cache, and left it close to protect the inside of the cache, but I needed to open this one, so I could get the needed code. I tried covering it the best I could with my body, made a quick sign in the logbook, took a quick photo of the needed code, and closed everything up.

Got back to the car, soaked and miserable, just to have the wife yell at me, saying I was stupid, and if I get the pneumonia, she didn't want to hear about it. All I said was, "Found it".
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

After meeting up with GardenNClay and I am just the driver in the Steppingstone Farm Museum parking lot, then hooking up with MDFirecacher, MackenzieK, and her muggle friend at one of the stages of the Steppingstone Farm Museum CAM cache, we all met up on the bridge over the creek to head to this cache.

We continued down the trail after finding DAM CACHE II and headed off into the brush. In 2 different directions. Uh oh… For this cache (and this cache only), my GPS receiver decided to just go way off. I ended up about 120 feet from MDFirecacher when my GPS said I was within 18 feet and MDFirecacher was yelling “Found it!” We all joined up at the cache, with my GPS still saying 80 feet back the other way. Scary, but it completely cleared up at the next cache.

4 CAM caches found for 2019!
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

CAM #3 3/23/19 12:56 - After leaving Steppingstone, we met up with Joe Jackson, I'm just the driver, and garden-n-clay at the trail head. The park was hosting a 50K run with the BOO at Steppingstone Farm. We had to dodge a number of runners on the way to the parking area. I found the cache description pretty amazing and recall a more recent incident in Montgomery County with a GeoRick cache.

We managed to grab DAM CACHE II on the way then bush-wacked our way to GZ. Dropped off a personal pathtag and some Smokey Bear memorabilia. On the way back, we grabbed a FYC cache. This made for a pretty long day with a two-hour commute each direction. Seven more to go. Thanks MGS!
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

03/18/2019 - CAM #5 - On this third day of CAM, I came up this direction as I really didn't have a plan and it was easy to get up here for me. Plus since it was my regular day off, I came in this direction very early before traffic got bad and made it home before the traffic got bad.

I parked at the suggested coordinates and made my way down the path to the cache: DAM CACHE II -THE RESURECTION. Great idea to get us by that cache. From there I continued to this cache. TNLN TFTC

While on the way home I was able to seek a GPSgames.org GeoVexilla Flag near Bel Air, so that was a bonus. Plus as an extra bonus, I found a yard on the way there that was full of ornamental Flamingos, which happened to be a locationless cache in the Terracaching listing service - so double bonus!!
dsquaredd2
MGS Member

Post by dsquaredd2 »

Made our way to the northeast to find Steppingstone Farm and BOOM! A great hike to the river and down the way. Quick find once we went off trail. TFTC!
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

We were here on Sunday 3/24. We planned to get both CAM caches and the bonuses, but after the heavy hike on Saturday, I wasn't up to it all. We got the BOOM and the DAMII caches.

Will have to return for the others.
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 24th, 4 PM CAM #8

With only two CAM caches planned for the day, we had a bit more time to explore and do some additional caching.

We arrived at the parking but despite making a few passes through the lot there were no available spaces due to everyone enjoying the great spring weather. We ended up parking in the park and hiking in from there. We were able to pick up a few additional caches on the way in and out including the nearby FYC cache. We'd actually been back here in 2014 to get the replacement DAM Cache. We enjoyed the hiding spot along with the retrieval of the cache. As with many places in Maryland lately, it was amazing how high the water is right now as opposed to our previous visit. Thanks for placing this great CAM cache! TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Post by Seeker4Life »

3/23/2019 found4life, afriendofB and I decided to spend our CAM 2019 caching day up north today, driving from southern Delaware. After finishing at Ft. Smallwood and Steppingstone, we headed to Boom for the CAM and a few others on our list down this trail. We found a parking spot on an incline nose down toward the river. As a flatlander, it was pretty harrowing, but we finally got out of the car and started the trek :) . Wow the river was wide, fast and muddy today! I kept a close eye on the geopup even on the leash just in case she got any ideas--even the edge of the river looked fierce. Met a few cachers on the trail on our way back from the furthest find (the old CJS cache). Hit the DAM resurrection cache and were able to help them out. All in all a great day with three more CAM 2019 finds Enjoyed the write-up on this one, and the hide. TFTC!
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

Found March 26th
Teamed up with gvt1985 to do a cache run to this area. We did the cache at Steppingstone Museum first and then headed here. We enjoyed our hike, stopping to get another cache along the way. TFTC.
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

March 24
I set out early Sunday morning to do some minor repairs on a couple of my nearby caches and grab BOOM! I didn't start caching until 2010, long after the BOOM! incident but I did know about it. Through Scouts, my husband knows someone involved with Steppingstone and was telling him about my hiding caches there. It turns out that this gentleman was also involved with SSP at that time and was the one that called in the 'suspicious container'. Among the people that know him at the park and on the farm, he is called IED[name] :lol:

I found one of the few remaining spaces at parking coordinates and began my journey. Few people on the trails this morning. I saw several groups twice, as we were all passing each other from various starting points. I stopped by the original cache coordinates. I would not have thought the original cache would have been found easily. Back to the trail to continue my search. Coordinates put me right where I needed to be, and my first thought gave me the means to retrieve the cache. Nicely done! Thanks for the cache and the history of BOOM!
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

Today was day 2 on the CAM 2019 trail for the kids and me. We decided to head up I-95 to Harford County to tackle the 2 caches around Susquehanna State Park. We brought the bikes along with the intention of riding them here from Steppingstone, but decided to move the van a little closer to the river first. We parked about 1.5 miles from GZ, and first tried to follow the rail trail, but it was a little too rough, so we ended up following the road for awhile. Eventually, we found the riverside trail that I remembered from finding the nearby FYC cache last summer. A short time later, it was time to leave the trail. One of our team stayed with the bikes, while the remaining two made the short bushwhack to the cache. No trouble making the find. All good with the cache. TNLNSL. Now, time to score some fast food and head for home. 4 down until our next CAM outing, which won’t be for two more weeks. TFTC!
AltaPete
MGS Member

Post by AltaPete »

I've never been to this area before so there was a lot of interesting stuff to see (three generations of transportation all together, for example). Cache find was both straightforward and interesting.
-- Pete
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM #7 03/31
At our first CAM stop we ran into the lead figures of this story. Mr. DT even had a pocket full of candy to offer to our grandson. We have heard about the now legendary story of Boom, so of course we stopped by the plaque to pay our respects. When we first started caching we remember the president of the MGS (calvertcachers) being called away from a meet and greet to handle a similar situation. That was an exciting evening. Thanks to the MGS leadership for smoothing the waters in Maryland for geocaching.
Thanks for this wonderful placement. The views of the flint furnace and the lovely walk on the water were all that we love about CAM.
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

THURSDAY, APRIL 11
Wahoo! CAM 2019 Cache number 10! Today was our fourth and last trip for CAM 2019. We left Pocomoke before sunrise and were standing at the end of the production line, watching as the first Krispy Kreme Glazed Donut came out. We bought some donuts and started north, munching happily. Later today, with the last two CAM caches and sixteen bonuses and others logged, we headed south. Almost home, we rewarded ourselves with hand-spun milkshakes from Chick-fil-a. We drove 330 miles today, so we have driven 1,370 miles to get the ten CAM 2019 Caches and a bunch of bonuses and other caches.
Parking here, I set my parking brake for the first time in a very long time! We went straight to this, enjoying the scenic walk, then got the bonuses on the way back. At the car, were surprised to see we had walked over two miles! Thanks to MGS and the hider for a CAM Cache in this place!
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

Found 3/20/19 Boy, am I late with the logging stuff! Just love to cache; hate the paper work! Payed my respects to the original site nearby. Good thing this is a cool brisk day. This area is perfect for all sorts of slithering and bitting things in the warmer months. As it is today, they are all sleeping! Took the railway direction. But, watch your step; lots of tripping hazards. Easy find. Now, back to that tricky DAM CACHE II -THE RESURECTION. TFTC TFTH
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

4-7 CAM cache #8. We had planned on caching the whole day out here until the Orange You Glad cache wiped us out! We enjoyed the flat walk out here! This was a lovely area with all the little wildflowers and dead wood out here. If there are fairies, I think we'd find them here! Thanks for the cache and the cool story about the original geocache!