Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

First CAM - Rookie Question - Unpublished Cache

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
GratefulDave
MGS Member

First CAM - Rookie Question - Unpublished Cache

Post by GratefulDave »

For unpublished caches, the ONLY INFO i am given is the set of Coordinates, right?

So, am I on the right track thinking that the final cache is either at the waypoints given, or there is additional info at the coordinates given that will point me to right direction?

I only use GC.com so unpublished is new to me.

Thx for taking a sec to set me clear.
jpatton
MGS Member

Re: First CAM - Rookie Question - Unpublished Cache

Post by jpatton »

Some of the caches are Traditionals and are located at the coordinates. Some are Multi's and Puzzles where you will need info from the cache page. The post in the information thread https://www.mdgps.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 40#p127263 has links to gpx files and pdf files of the cache pages. Depending on what equipment you use, either file type might be better. The pdf files can be printed out and taken with you while caching. You'll have all the info then.
Jeff
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Post by hunterKat »

For unpublished caches, the ONLY INFO i am given is the set of Coordinates, right?
Dave, you get much more than simply a set of coordinates for each official CAM cache.

Look for the next to last entry in the CAM 2019 Information Thread. Among all the files there, the "All of the above..." Zip files contain a PDF version of each cache page that you can print out - they look exactly as you would print from a published cache. As Jeff says, you should be seeing all the cache information on your phone or GPS, as well, if you've imported the GPX files to whichever device you are using.

-Kathy
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

Is there a way to import the gpx files into the Groundspeak geocaching app? I was able to import them into Cachly, but not the gc app.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Mr. Bocco, the Geocaching.com app does not allow imports of .gpx files. Our recommendation is Cachly for iOS and Geoooh Live, GC Droid or C:Geo for Android.
GratefulDave
MGS Member

Post by GratefulDave »

littleblkdog wrote:Mr. Bocco, the Geocaching.com app does not allow imports of .gpx files. Our recommendation is Cachly for iOS and Geoooh Live, GC Droid or C:Geo for Android.

Thanks so much for the Replies to my initial Rookie Question. You and HunterKat have successfully set a newbie on the right path.

I was indeed trying to Import the GPX into the geocaching App on IOS. I then tried a GPS tracking app which put the 10 Coordinates on a Map, but i could not see any of the typical Cache info i see on GC.com for published Cache codes.

So, just for giggles at a newbie...

I actually thought CAM only gave coordinates so yesterday i hopelessly looked all around stage one at Emmitsburg for a container with more clues. After coming home sad in DNF-mode, i saw your generous responses and gave Cachly a try, since I use iOS. I imported the gpx, and Voila !! I can now see the puzzles/hints etc.

Silly Rabbit. Thanks for taking the time to inform those who are lost. I hope to get to the point i can do the same.

GratefulDave68.
Turtle Seeker
MGS Member

Post by Turtle Seeker »

One thing that I do during CAM, to avoid downloading all the coordinates, and being able to use my phone, I will pull up a published cache, that is close to the CAM cache, and put the CAM coordinates in as a Waypoint. That way I can still use my phone to find the CAM cache or any of the coordinates leading up to the final. Maybe not the way it is supposed to be done, but has worked for me as long as I have a signal on my phone.