Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

March 2015 Member Spotlight-Shenanagan

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

March 2015 Member Spotlight-Shenanagan

Post by ksullivan »

It is my pleasure to introduce this month's spotlight geocacher. She has geocaches in several areas of the state (even the Eastern Shore!). She definitely has an enthusiasm for geocaching and her spirit of adventure shines in this profile. Meet Shenanagan!

Caching Name : Shenanagan

1. How did you become involved in geocaching? When did you start?
I started back in February of 2006 with my family. It was a way for us to get out of the house to occupy ourselves and let the little sisters run off some energy on short hikes through the woods. We found a few, mostly around the Germantown area and while on vacation in Massachusetts and Florida. I didn’t get fully hooked until five years later while I was in college.

Caching with the family back in 2006

2. How did you choose your caching name?
Through the years I’ve gone through three caching names. Here’s how each one was picked:
Mokahcheenoh – When my family and I first started we needed a quick alias to write down. Writing all the names in the family was too much. I jotted down my AOL screenname instead and it stuck as the family’s account name.
DeltasigOX – This was more of a team name for me and an old boyfriend of mine. We were both in a Co-ed Business Fraternity, Delta Sigma Pi. We are called “Deltasigs” for short and our chapter name was Omicron Chi – giving the OX for Greek symbols. Put it all together and you got DeltasigOX.
Shenanagan – This name came after I transformed the group caching name after a breakup to a single cacher name. Shenanagan takes “She” for femininity and adds it to my last name of “Flanagan” while relating that to my regular shenanigans that I can get into while out caching. Yes, I’m that cacher that bushwhacks and trail blazes to a cache instead of taking the trail. I’m also known to be the geocacher that will usually walk away with some type of caching wound whether it be getting cut open by barbed wire, falling in a hole or getting chiggers.

3. How many caches have you found so far?
1,179 and counting

4. What brand/type of GPS do you use?
I mostly use my iPhone for the convenience factor while out making finds. If I’m out placing a cache or finding a series that uses a GPX file for downloads I’ll use my Garmin Oregon 450. The handheld GPS is also my go to device while in an area that doesn’t have particularly good cell service. I have also used an iPad and a Garmin eTrex in the past.

5. What programs/software or hardware (PDA/laptop/phone) do you use to make caching easier?
The only app that I really use is the Geocaching app from the apple app store. It is always super convenient when you want to know the caches in the immediate area you’re in. I’ve also taught myself how to do searches by cache name, cacher name, size, difficulty, P&Gs, etc. I’ve set it up with a couple queries that run daily and update to my app on my phone. This has come in handy for close by P&Gs that I did not find to help with my streak. The app also updates when I add new coordinates to a puzzle cache I solved, but did not find yet. For stats I use project GC, cacherstats.com, and mygeocachingprofile.com. I gave GSAK a try, but don’t have the need for it intricacies quite yet. I’m saving up for a regular Windows computer for the day I’ll need to rely on GSAK and to design my Pathtags as well. And of course for discovering multiple trackables I use logthemall.org. I am finding that Project GC does have a nicer setup for doing the same thing as logthemall.

Dropping a trackable in Florida’s largest cache – Cacheumongous GC2KV0X

6. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual?
I prefer seeking traditional caches for the ease and where they might take you. My favorite traditional caches are the ones that take you to a scenic place in the middle of the woods or on top of a mountain and are quite large with neat SWAG or good artwork on them. Once in a while I will get a hankering to go for a difficult puzzle cache. The feeling after solving a difficulty of 4 or 5 is certainly rewarding.

7. Which caches were the most challenging – physically/mentally? Why?
My most challenging cache to this day was The Sorceress (GC2HKNP) located in Hoyles Mill in Boyds, MD. This puzzle took a couple of sleepless nights, lots of help from fellow cachers and tons of throwing ideas around that just didn’t pan out. A big shout out to Zorrobarnes for helping CacheNCarry45 and I solve the puzzle. The adventure to the different stages of the cache were a bit treacherous as there was no defined way of getting there, just a bunch of bushwhacking through deep brush and spider web swatting for a good mile. We chose to find the cache in the rain too because we couldn’t help ourselves after solving the puzzle. Finding the really cool cache container at the end and getting a geocoin at the end was the rewarding experience we needed. I think everyone including the dog was pooped out for the day after that cache.

8. Do you have a favorite or favorites among the Maryland caches that you’ve found? Do you have a favorite in a nearby state?

The group after finding Subterranean Adventure (Thunder Underground)

My favorite cache is Subterranean Adventure (Thunder Underground) (GC2PD3Q)in Dale City, VA. The underground adventure to get to the cache was a blast! I went with 5 other cachers; CacheNCarry45, georick402, humphr1d, Soccertoa, and UnusualSuspect. We brought skateboards, kneepads, tons of flashlights and grimy clothes to make the adventure. The real fun was navigating through all of the concrete tubes to get to the final cache location. There was a great deal of teamwork, encouragement and laughter to get all 6 of us up and down through the tubes. I even have a battle scar on my hand as a souvenir from the find! We all had a blast!

Me climbing through the tubes. I’m now ready for the Frederick Psycho Urban Caches!

My other favorites in MD by cache type are:
Multi –Team Connection series in Rocky Gap (GC1ZB3H, GC2MVBZ, GC2NGMB)
Virtual – Patriot’s Highway at Sideling Hill rest area (GCED74)
Puzzle – MD-GA series in Germantown – Although I am claimed as co-owner on the series there are tons of cool gadget caches that I haven’t seen before in other places. All of the caches are located within a couple miles of each other. The puzzles you have to solve aren’t too difficult either.
Earthcache – Maryland’s Highest Waterfall in Swallows Falls State Park (GC1H890)

9. What’s the most unusual thing that you’ve ever found in a cache?
Honey Packets – What was the cacher who left these thinking? I removed them from the cache just in case Winne the Pooh or his cousin were around. The cache would have made for a nice snack. Cachers should be reminded that candy, food and drinks should not be left in caches.

10. What are your current caching goals? Is there a certain cache that you can’t wait to do?
- Finish my 366 day streak. I am currently at 219 days.
- Complete CAM2015 – although this isn’t really much of a goal. It is a MUST DO!
- Attend my first Geowoodstock and all the other events around the big day
- Trade my entire first order of pathtags (Yes, folks! 330 tags to be delivered soon!)
- Become one of the top 150 cachers in MD. Right now I’m ranked 232.
- Get my flamingo to Key West, FL and back safely. Shenanagan’s Traveling Mingo (TB6JHQH)
- Hide more themed cache containers. I currently have 3 ideas up my sleeve.

11. How many caches have you placed? Do you have a current hiding goal?
I currently have 54 hides and one in the making. I don’t have a particular goal for hiding. I like to hide well designed caches with a theme that people will enjoy. My favorite caches to hide are LARGE ammo cans with a nice paint job. I fill them with tons of SWAG for the little cachers out there.

12. What advice would you give someone that wants to place a cache? What steps do YOU take when placing a cache?

CacheNCarry45 and I caching at the Fall 2014 MGS Picnic in Rocky Gap

Place a cache that you yourself would enjoy finding whether because of the container or the location. Make sure it’s in a durable and waterproof container. Make sure the coordinates are accurate. I use a reliable GPSr that is calibrated and use the waypoint averaging option.

13. How often do you go caching?
Right now I am caching every day on a streak. Most days I’ll find just one but on most weekends I’ll go on a spree.

14. What advice would you give a beginning geocacher?
Get involved with a local group of cachers who hold monthly or bi-monthly events. There you’ll meet the cachers in your area who will most likely give you the latest info on the cool caches you must go after and the bigger events that you should attend. There you’ll also learn the ins and outs of using your GPSr and get more acquainted with other geoitems like trackables and pathtags. I found that events were the most helpful to me and really geared up my caching addiction.

[/b]15. Have you completed CAM in the past? What was your favorite aspect?[/b]
I completed CAM2014 and have found several other CAM caches from previous years. My favorite aspect of the CAM event was the cool places that each CAM cache took you to. I never would have discovered half of those parks or the scenic views without the cache being there. That’s what I love about geocaching! The picnic was an added bonus. The cake was so tasty!

The whole gang at CAM2014. I’m in the middle there

16. Do you collect geocoins? Of the ones that you’ve collected, which is your favorite?
I have collected a few geocoins. I purchase some and get some as achievements. My favorite one to date is my CAM2014 coin. I worked hard alongside CacheNCarry45 to complete all 10 caches and wasn’t expecting the coin at the picnic, but it was a wonderful gift. The coin has been active in visiting caches I found since the CAM 2014 picnic and continues to visit every cache I find until I receive my CAM2015 coin. I have also just started collecting pathtags. I ordered my first batch of custom designed ones for myself and can’t wait to trade!

17. What type of gear do you carry with you on your caching trips? What’s in your geopack?
Normally I don’t carry anything for the day to day caches I find to keep my streak going. Just my phone, pen and our stamper is all we need. On the days where we’ll hike to find caches, CacheNCarry45 and I split carrying our lime green Camelback. With that we’re able to carry 2 liters of water, a fairly extensive first aid kit, our Tools of the Trade kit, trackables, small SWAG items, extra logsheets and zip baggies of assorted sizes, and a snack or two.

At the CAM2014 Quirauk Mountain Overlook. Here you can see our lime green Camelback.

18. What is your most memorable caching experience?
My most memorable experience would the day all 6 of use teamed up to find Subterranean Adventure (Thunder Underground) (GC2PD3Q)in Dale City, VA. It all started as a dare from unusualsuspect to georick402, but the rest of us tagged along for the adventure. The underground adventure was so much fun that we went for more caches afterwards! With that day I was able to fill 2 slots in for by D/T matrix. Yeah!

19. What is your best caching story?
It would have to be the time CacheNCarry45 and I met up with my aunt and uncle, bobobrooks, to go caching in Harpers Ferry. There was a cache there we were looking for on the side of the road in a wall full of stones. The first thing I went after had a rat behind it. I screamed like a little girl and ran away. I finally worked up courage to return and keep searching under stones when the fifth or sixth stone I looked under had a snake under it. I screamed even louder and did a dance this time. That’s it I was done looking for the cache. The mission was left to the three of them. We never found the cache but we now have a good idea of what it is for when we return. Unbeknownst to us at the time this was somehow a georick402 cache. A couple weeks later CacheNCarry45 went after another georick402 cache in Germantown that was hidden in a rubber snake. I was the lucky one to spot the snake first and I knew the cache was in there, but I ran out of the brush screaming and dancing. CacheNCarry45 was nice enough to get the cache and sign it for us. About a week later georick402 mentioned that he had put two caches out, one for CacheNCarry45 and one for me. When we got the published cache alert on our phones we zoomed over to the park to get them. I saw mine was named “Shenanagan’s Snakes and Spiders”. Oh boy, what was I in store for? We got to GZ and started looking for the cache in this rock pile. “Ahh a snake! Ahhh another one! This is so mean!” I got spooked enough that CacheNCarry45 came to the rescue again to go through the rest of the rock pile and wrangle the snakes. He must have pulled out 6 rubber snakes before finally finding the cache. Inside the cache were a bunch of black glittery spiders which didn’t really scare me, but the place was littered with creepy crawlies just before sunset. It was then that georick402 really learned what gives me the heebie jeebies the most and now the rest of the MGS caching community does too.

Me with one of the snakes and cache in my honor.

20. What do you like about geocaching? What keeps you going?
The best thing about geocaching is all the places it takes you. I know I’ve said it over and over, but I never would have discovered so many great parks, scenic overlooks, cool stores and other places off the beaten path if it weren’t for geocaching. The two things that keep me going are finding different types of containers that I’d never seen before and thanks and recognition that come along with cache logs and personal messages about the caches I put out. It’s great to know that cachers appreciate the time and creativity that CacheNCarry45 put into our caches.

21. Besides geocaching, what other things do you like to do?
The best thing in the world other than looking at beautiful sunsets on a mountain ridge after just finding a cache full of SWAG is spending a day with your boyfriend, CacheNCarry45 and kitten, Molly. I also enjoy shopping, cooking, baking, knitting and reading. The Harry Potter Series is my favorite closely followed by To Kill A Mockingbird. I also have a habit of binge watching Netflix. Some of those habits include Army Wives, Prison Break, Scandal and anything on the History Channel.

Molly the Mainecoon Kitten. About 5 months old in this picture. She’s about 8 months old now.

22. What question did you expect us to ask but didn’t. What is the answer?
I was expecting a question on my biggest geo-injury but we spared the gory details!
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Re: March 2015 Member Spotlight-Shenanagan

Post by zorrobarnes »

Great spotlight! I've had the pleasure of working some puzzles with her; most notably The Sorceress, and finding some caches with both her and CacheNCarry45. I've also enjoyed many of the caches she and CacheNCarry45 have placed. Her enthusiasm and creativity for this sport are delightful. Thanks for turning the spotlight on her.
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

I enjoyed reading the spotlight, nice to meet new (to me) cachers. Can you post your pathtag when it's ready for trading?
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

Another great cacher in the spotlight. I haven't even know Shenanagan for a year, but what little time I have known her and spent with her, she's a great person. I'm glad to have hooked up with her and CacheNCarry45, and I've rally enjoyed my time with them. Good write up, good people, good hides all equal good times. It's cachers like her that keep me interested in Geocaching.
ZombieHNTR
MGS Member

Post by ZombieHNTR »

Very nice write up. Glad I have had the chance to meet you. Hope to see you on the CAM trail this year.
Shenanagan
Former MGS Officer

Post by Shenanagan »

:smt006 Thanks for all the great feedback. It has been a pleasure meeting so many wonderful cachers on the trails and at events that have taught me so much about caching. It's words like this that keep me interested in the game. I expect to start leaving some pathtags in CAM caches as well as trading them at CAM and Geowoodstock. See you all out on the trails soon!
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Great write up. And awesome caches you mentioned. Can't wait to meet you on the trails or see you at the CAM picnic :). Cute Kitty.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace