Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

April 2015 Member Spotlight-robert

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

April 2015 Member Spotlight-robert

Post by ksullivan »

Since becoming a PR Officer, I have had to contact this mysterious figure whenever I've had questions about the MGS website. I had heard about this awesome guy who used to be an officer in the MGS named Robert. Finally, I met him in person in January at the "Meet the Officer's Event." During the conversation, I thought he would be a great candidate for our member spotlight so that everyone could get to know him a little better. If you are enjoying CAM, you can read below to see what role he has played in the program. Meet "robert."

Interview Date : 3/15/15
Caching Name : robert

Robert with the Grinch

1. How did you become involved in geocaching. When did you start?
I worked in advertising for a large retail company and one of our divisions was a boating supply store. In 2003, Garmin came out with the iQue 3600, a PDA (think Palm Pilot) with GPS capability, a full color screen, and turn-by-turn navigation. I pre-ordered one from our electronics buyer and as I waited months for it to arrive, I kept googling (well then it was probably yahooing!) about GPS and came across geocaching. I bugged him about when the iQue was coming and he finally handed me a Magellan SporTrak Color GPS he had in his desk and told me to get lost. I loaded up a few local caches in there and off I went. My first two caches were found on 7/13/2003.

2. How did you choose your caching name?
"robert" is actually my second caching name. My AOL screen name was "mrkablooey", which came from a former boss and a few co-workers who were struggling with my last name. "Kablooey" "Kalamazoo" etc. I used that for a while but changed if when I realized that I was having to explain that I don't like to blow stuff up (kablooey!). I also tended to introduce myself as "Robert" when meeting new people anyway so it seemed like an easy switch. I did have to contact Groundspeak about the name because there was a "Robert" registered but never used and never even logged in. So they let me have it :D

3. How many caches have you found so far?

4. What brand/type of GPS do you use?
I've had many over the years. I started with the Magellan SporTrak Color I got from work, along with a Magellan 315. I mostly used the SporTrak, then a Garmin Legend, Garmin GPS60Cs, and finally a Garmin Colorado 300. I still have the last two. They're old now but for my current level of caching they're more than sufficient. :wink: In a pinch I've used my iPhone as well.

5. What programs/software or hardware (PDA/laptop/phone) do you use to make caching easier?
I've tried GSAK but it's too tough for me and if you ever saw my personal geocoin, I didn't worry about the numbers. I basically just dragged the GPX to my GPS and used that. The best invention ever was being able to mark a cache as found and then reference the list of found when you got home. We used to have to use our PDAs for that but this was so much easier (we used the PDA for paperless caching for those of us who didn't print out binders full of cache pages to put in a binder and carry around)

6. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual?
Good ol' traditional in the woods. Though I do like multis for sure. Then virts, but I could never solve the puzzles (and didn't have the patience to try) so I'd usually ignore those. Every cache has its place though so I've found quick ones while out shopping and have been on runs where we pretty much just found urban micros - we had a blast!

Retrieving an urban cache

7. Which caches were the most challenging – physically/mentally? Why?
Long hikes like The Upper Yough Trek (GCH643) for the distance and terrain and heavy puzzle classic like Blood & Guts in Virginia (GC73C2) for the sheer amount of mental involvement it takes from even a group to solve that one. But these are also some of the favorites for me due to the memories I've got with my friends.

8. Do you have a favorite or favorites among the Maryland caches that you’ve found? Do you have a favorite in a nearby state?
I’ve had the privilege of finding a lot of great Maryland caches! One of my favorites has to be CAM 2005 - Lil Orleans (GC1929) for the amazing view.

9. What’s the most unusual thing that you’ve ever found in a cache?
Good question! Can't think of anything unusual I've found but I have read stories of what others have found and some of it surprises me!

10. What are your current caching goals? Is there a certain cache that you can’t wait to do?
After moving back to Northern Virginia in 2006, my goals now are just to get out and find more. It's been a long time but my son is old enough now (5) to come out so I am hoping that's something else we can do together. Right now I'm coaching his t-ball team but that's only for a couple hours on a Saturday which leaves lots of other time!

11. How many caches have you placed? Do you have a current hiding goal?
I’ve hidden 17 over the years. No hiding goal, though as I hope to venture back out geocaching a bit more, maybe my son and I can work on hiding one together.

12. What advice would you give someone that wants to place a cache? What steps do YOU take when placing a cache?
Take your time, and find a good spot that you know you would enjoy. Don’t rush to place one just to place one. Also make sure your coordinates are good, don’t wing it with a map!

13. How often do you go caching?
Very little for the last few years, unfortunately, but hope to be able to get out more often soon.

14. What advice would you give a beginning geocacher?
Attend an event, and take time to get to know other geocachers. You may find some great friends this way, and there are a lot of great people out there. By meeting others, you have the chance to learn a bit more about geocaching, and by working together you can tackle some of the tougher hides that may be extra difficult when going alone. And get involved in the MGS, which is nothing without the amazing people.

15. Have you completed CAM in the past? What was your favorite aspect?
I was lucky enough to be on the planning committee for the first one, and completed it that year (2004), 2005, 2006, and 2008. My favorite aspect was the camaraderie of doing it with my friends, second favorite would be seeing some of the amazing places that exist in the state!

16. Do you collect geocoins? Of the ones that you’ve collected, which is your favorite?
I collected quite a bit for a while, and then think I burned out on it and sold a bunch. I kept some of my favorites, though recently was talking about them with LPYankeefan and realized I have no idea where they are in my stuff. I’ve moved a couple of times, and have them somewhere! I really need to find where they are.
I also have my own geocoin, and have a few left out there in the wild as well.

Robert's Geocoin

17. What type of gear do you carry with you on your caching trips? What’s in your geopack?
Bottle of water, pens/pencils, Leatherman/Swiss Army Knife, spare batteries, and first aid kit. I don’t tend to trade, but maybe a couple of my geocoins to leave if the cache was particularly good/unique. With the kids, we try to always carry a bag with some tradeable items in it.

18. What is your most memorable caching experience?
Tough one -- I have a few! 2005 MGS Summer Picnic and seeing the huge turn out. The hours spent with a team on the Blood & Guts in Virginia and finally figuring it out. My first trip caching with friends I had met in the MGS (it was pouring, but we had a lot of fun!). Hiding my first cache.

19. What is your best caching story?
Has to be the first trip caching with friends from the MGS that I mentioned above. It was 2 months after finding my first cache, and a group of us went to Pennsylvania. The group was Crashmore, spitwinkle, JPatton, Trevelyan’s R&R, and me. As we got closer, we realized it was going to rain. I bought a rain suit to wear, and brought along a poncho just in case (we needed it). We found 18 caches that day, which was a lot back then, got completely soaked, but we had so much fun. We bushwacked our way to several of the caches, and at one point thought we’d be charged by T-Rex or surrounded by velociraptor.

20. What do you like about geocaching? What keeps you going?
Honestly it has to be the people. I’ve had fun finding a cache or two by myself, but there’s nothing like meeting a friend (or more) and going together. You get to see some cool places, too, and to me I always enjoyed it more if I got to share it.

21. Besides geocaching, what other things do you like to do?
My step daughter plays soccer and I enjoy watching her play. This past fall my son started t-ball and I became certified to coach, which I’m doing again this spring. Other than that, we enjoy watching football (Go Pack Go! (sorry, Mark!)) and going to Nationals games. I also enjoy photography, and most anything tech related.

22. What question did you expect us to ask but didn’t. What is the answer?
I know these are form questions, and every person is unique… my ‘bonus question’ would be about my time in the MGS. In question 14, I suggested new people get involved in the MGS and it can be at any level someone feels comfortable doing. I attended my first event in 2003 (GCFAD7), 2 weeks after finding my first cache. I met cachers who had been around for a while, and others that were also new, like me. I offered to help at the sign-in book, and got to meet more people that way. By September, I was offered an open spot in the Core in the PR position, designed the new MGS logos (R.I.P. Crabby!) and by the end of that year I was starting to help Crashmore with the day-to-day work on the website. I guess you could say I went “all out”. I have had the honor to be an MGS officer alongside some of the greatest people you’ll ever meet, and though I don’t get to see them very often, still very much consider them friends. I don’t know of a lot of hobbies out there that can give you that gift.

2005 MGS Officers
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Re: April 2015 Member Spotlight-robert

Post by nighthawk700 »

Wow, great write up, it's nice to know more about you. And that's a fabulous coin! Simple, but states a lot about you.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

Thanks for the great write-up Robert. You brought back some fun memories (like caching with the pda's!) Thanks for all you have done and continue to do for the MGS and geocaching.
SharpShin
MGS Member

Post by SharpShin »

Hey Buddy. It has been awhile. My first event after joining MGS, was the 2005 Sumer Event you mentioned. It was also the first time I met you: Over the next several years I contacted you with several issues that cropped up. You were about the friendliest & helpful individual I dealt with; as were many of the MGS members during the years I was active. I always thought the MGS was one of the smoothest and non confrontational organization I ever belonged to.

It was a pleasure knowing you; and thank you for all the assistance you provided over the years.

Congratulations and I wish the best for you and your family in the years ahead.

John/Sharpshin'
"I sleep with one eye open: And, I don't ever leave no trail..." Buddy Guy

~ Caching Cental Maryland's Four County Region ~
Snurt
MGS Director

Post by Snurt »

In too many ways to articulate, Robert has been the heart, soul and conscience of the MGS. He would be quick to point out that the MGS has never been about individuals but about community and connections. And he is right.

I echo Sharpshin's reference to the Society as "one of the smoothest and non confrontational organization I ever belonged to." That is who we are, and our many years of success, friendships and frolic are directly attributable to Robert's guidance, both up front getting it done and to the present day quietly behind the scenes as Director and Boardmaster.

It is a testament to that community that many of the progenitors of this Society are today still connected and active with geocaching. I fell hard for the passion shortly after Robert did in 2003, and I concur most heartily; that the thrill of hitting the roads, the trails, the byways, bay-ways and bushwacks with a group of friends and those who become friends is the greatest thrill in experiencing this outdoors pursuit in Maryland.

Thank You Robert!
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

Great Writeup.
I will not hold it against him that the first time I met robert at this years Meet The Officers Event, he was wearing a Packers hat. In my two years in being an officer for the MGS, Robert has been most helpful with all the Web Site related issues that come up. Robert responds to my emails for help quickly and is vital to keeping the MGS Web Site up and running smoothly.
It was great to finally meet Robert this winter after communicating with him through dozens and dozens of emails. Hope to see you at more events in the future.
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

Excellent interview! I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting Robert in person. I think he's helped me out here on the board a few times though. It's nice to hear a bit about the MGS "roots" too.
I suuuuuure would like to know where that GRINCH cache is at! I'm a huge Suess fan! GC#???
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

The first cache we ever found ("we" is MeatballMatt and me - before I opened a second account with my own name) was one of mrkablooey's in Centennial Park in Columbia, MD. Robert emailed us a couple of days later to tell us about MGS and invite us to an event (no recollection what or where).
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Great write up. Now we learned the story of how you became a member. It is always great to learn about older members. You do a great job website. And if it wasn't for you with this site it wouldn't be the way it is.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

What a thrill it is to see Robert featured in our Member Spotlight!

Robert has been the corner stone of the MGS for over 10 years; offering help to new cachers, serving as an Officer and Director, website guru, and guidance on anything geocaching. :quiggle:

Robert is one of the founding fathers of the MGS and he helped build the solid foundation of our organization. I know that I have turned to Robert on many occasions over the years and he has always offered sound advice and great suggestions. Over the past few years, Robert has worked hard behind the scenes keeping our website up and running for all to enjoy. Because of his continued involvement, the MGS has excelled as one of the premiere geocaching organizations in the country. In all reality, Robert is the King of the MGS!

We thank you for your dedication to the MGS and for all your hours of hard work!
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

OhMelli wrote:I suuuuuure would like to know where that GRINCH cache is at! I'm a huge Suess fan! GC#???
It's a bit of a drive, but here you go! http://coord.info/GC10BQG
-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

I've been reading the responses to this thread and never quite knew when to respond.... but with the month winding down and the next spotlight ready to go, I thought now was a good time :D

First, thank you to Kelly for thinking of me! I'm humbled by the comments here, and feel they sum up how I closed my spotlight... there are a lot of great people here in the MGS! Not quite sure about Sue's "king" comment though! :oops: We all have a part to play... this is a puzzle with an infinite number of pieces, and the more pieces we add, the bigger and grander we become!

I am looking forward to the next spotlight!

-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org